Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Mazda Pickup Project

Mazda Pickup Project

So, I finally decided it was time to get a proper project on the go, I wanted something that could be cool but be practical as well. I have next to no experience in doing up cars and almost none of the tools I'm sure I'll need either... I also don't have the time, space or money... But if you don't put your balls on the table, There's no point hoping they don't get squashed...

So I made the bold move of buying a truck off eBay last week without going to view it or doing any real research, and today she finally turned up

Thankfully it does fit in the garage, but unfortunately it looks a lot worse than I was expecting... But underneath seems pretty reasonable and the engine and drivetrain seem to work perfectly well, the gearstick feels a lot tighter than that in my skaddy...

It's had one previous owner (who obviously neglected it), and done less than 50k miles

So enough talk, onto some pics;
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

nice, what are your plans with it?

This could look so cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_T View Post
    This could look so cool
    I'm with you rich. Even found an orange on for you inferedrhythm
    38053190084_large.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tontoe View Post
    I'm with you rich. Even found an orange on for you inferedrhythm
    38053190084_large.jpg
    That is sweet.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that can see a diamond under all the dirt and rust, friends and family think I'm mad.

Quote Originally Posted by whelp View Post
    what are your plans with it?
    I've got big dreams for it (like everybody), I'd love to turn it into a tipper and air ride it if I can afford it or if I can bodge something together with a B&Q compressor and some of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004JBX2..._Mz5pwbNC5TYDZ

And of course, rattle can paint job or plasti-dip it in some form of bright Matt orange

And although that goldish orange one is nice, it's too nice for me, it's going to get abused as a work truck when it's finished so it's got to have a rough and ready look...

Something similar to this, only orange lol

image.jpg

Certainly going to be in need of a couple of front wings I think:

image.jpg

I don't really know where to start with it, or how in depth to go, I'd like to strip it right down to nothing and clean up and paint everything as I rebuild, so I think step one is going to be take it all apart discarding everything that can be cheaply replaced or left off... And then start looking at how to lower this beast ...

The front suspension is torsion bar suspension ?!? Which means it should be nice and cheap to lower it, but I don't think it has any dampers at the front, it feels like a bouncy castle to drive, so I might try look into fitting some, and in the USA they have drop spindles to raise the hub in relation to the wishbone but I don't know if they're available over here

And the rear is already axle over the top of the leaf springs so I'm going to have to get a bit creative to get a decent drop at the rear

Mate had one of these when we were 17, he used to use the bumper to push you into traffic if he thought you were taking too long at a junction - complete headcase.

I do like the mini truck scene and these are one of the best.

Ahhh I thought about one of these when I got my MK1!!

Awesome. look forward to seeing what you do!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_T View Post
    This could look so cool
    Aw yes, looking forward to seeing more on this

From Retro Rides @ Shelsley Walsh

Same as the above I assume

Any more pics of that Esprit?

Well, I thought seeing as a know so little about what's safe and what's not, I thought step one for the project would be to put it in for MOT and find out what's good and what's just plain rotten...

Driving this thing round the corner to the garage for the first time was halarious, it's got a manual choke that I didn't realise !
    I'm certain it doesn't have any dampers on the front because it feels like driving a bouncy castle, makes my skaddy feel like a race truck
    And it's like twice as big and has no power steering, I couldn't help but chuckle to myself thinking "what have I got myself into"

So now I'm nervously awaiting the results tomorrow, in a way I kind of hope it fails on a fair few things because then I have no choice but to go ahead with a full restoration, but on the other hand I hope it passes straight through because I want to start driving my first rear wheel drive vehicle and because I really can't afford to keep two trucks...

Quote Originally Posted by 43655 View Post
    Yes!

It's something about the yellow headlights that just make it look awesome !
    Would I have to find a buy yellow lights or is it just a kind of transparent vinal that goes over the standard lights ?

Quote Originally Posted by 13 View Post
    https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...ca&oe=56B32E07
    Also
    https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...df&oe=56F18E44
    https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...af&oe=56F9CAB6

As for the truck, full resto, I assume these have a separate chassis? Should be easier if so!
    Really want something like this. Probably should have kept my caddy instead ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by 43655 View Post
    I assume these have a separate chassis? Should be easier if so!
    Yeah I'm pretty sure both the body and the bed are just bolted onto the chassis, and separately, which is what appealed to me because it should be easier to mess around with and give more possibilitys for modifications....

I'd like to turn the bed into one which can tip, how hard can it be ? If there are 6 bolts holding down the bed, just replace the rear two bolts with hinges, and put a hydraulic up the front ! Simple, in theory lol

And that first esprite looks slammed ! That's something I've never 'scene' before

ohh god yes a proper pickup, even if the chassis is bendy still caddys are just a dinky car with half the roof missing really.
    "How hard can it be?" ha ha heard that before! I have no idea really, my only thought is that surely as it sits normally the chassis is taking the load spread over the mating area, however if you just do as you say only the front points are taking all the weight, and there's the force of the hydraulic ram too.
    Depends what you're using it for, and can't really say until you have it apart i guess!

Well as much as I'd like to make this the most awesome truck in the world, its main purpose will be as a work truck and I'd like to keep the full weight capacity, so from a structural and financial point of view, the tipper idea is only a dream.
    once I've got the bed off and can have a proper look at the chassis I'll make some comparisons with my uncles transit tipper and look into what it'd take to make it possible .....

I'm so excited to get stuck into this project but keep forgetting just how much it's going to cost and how under prepared I am lol there's barely enough space for me to get in and out of the truck when it's in my garage so god knows how I'm going to get any work done in there, let alone where I'm going to put all the parts when I take them off lol

Quote Originally Posted by 13 View Post
    The Esprit is at RR every year. Its on Airbags IIRC!

A lesson on how to take one of the best handling road cars of all time and then fuck it up!

I like the styling, but would prefer it on static

EDIT:

Last edited by Al; 11-11-2015 at 06:55 PM.

I think the Lotus was fucked up,before he fucked it up again.