Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Retro build thread... MK1 Astra

Retro build thread... MK1 Astra

Meaning to dig these photos out of the loft years ago and put up my earliest documented build thread, there was a lada and a mazda 323 before this one but no photos taken of either.

Bear in mind there was very little aftermarket, no internet, no ebay and no forums - but in much the same fashion as today I had to make do with the wrong tools, no money and advice from equally clueless mates.

My first car, a 1200S mk 1 Astra, I passed my test in this one - really wish I still had it

It needed a couple of patches on the sill, using some ghetto car ramps a borrowed mig with pub gas got the patches attached, bet the welding was hideous.
    I'd previously rebuilt the drivers side inner wing with lots of little patches using my arc welder and 1.6mm rods - guess I must have kept blowing holes or discovering more rust as I seem to remember putting on 20+ patches, no picture of this though.

It must have needed and exhaust repair, at some stage I welded on a piece of stainless tube to the tailpipe and knocked it into a square shape to try and replicate the back box on the GSI? mk2 astra

Retro! What year would this have been?

Did you use to live in greece?

I think it was summer 1990

Did you use to live in greece?
    I used to live in greasy clothes, (and still do) does that count?

It's my mum and dads place (weare gifford, Devon) in summer, they were hotter and much longer back then

It's funny to imagine "pre internet"

I remember buying a book about welding, and a welder, and "having a go" untill they started to look ok.... Does that make us old?

I must have been one of the last, my new graduate engineer goes straight to google for anything and everything now. No need to contemplate life without the internetz

For some unknown reason I painted the inside of the car with emulsion, probably because it is what was lying around - I had just bought one of those wagner electric spray guns which cost around £12, maybe I did the emulsion to see what it painted like???

Looks like I may have used proper primer on the outside though

I noticed in the background that at this point my parents didn't have a garage, so it will have sat outside like this for a little while....

I distinctly remember sitting in the car at some stage and watching a wasp fly in and disappear down the hole in the centre of the steering column, and then come back out again. It then proceeded to fly in and out with bits of leaves and take them down inside the column, it did this a few times until it's path became mysteriously blocked with a strip of masking tape. It buzzed around for a bit before buzzing off
    Last edited by regcheeseman; 24-09-2015 at 10:51 AM.

Cheesetowers
    - Shitting up cars since 1990

I remember those days, when the summer air smelt of Hammerite, underseal & red Hermetite

I would have been about 16 in this picture helping B1GVR ruin his MINT RS2000

scan0009.jpg

Some time must have passed, because there is a now a garage built at my parents house

And for some reason I've fitted the windows back in so I can mask them off - gawd knows why??? I can only think that I'd seen cars being sprayed and they had always been masked up so that's the way you are supposed to do it???

That 'primer' does look white - I think it may well have been emulsion as well
    Last edited by regcheeseman; 24-09-2015 at 11:25 AM.

Excellent stuff! I had a kadett Berlina! In a gorgeous metallic green. My favourite car so far. Stupidly scrapped it when I fucked the gearbox up. If only.......

"Regcheesman: A History"

i know i'm going to regret selling my B4, but i haven't got space for 3 cars...

Quote Originally Posted by mugglesquop View Post
    "Regcheesman: A History"
    He wasn't born until 1996

Not sure what this photo was supposed to show, maybe the fact I'd bought decent thinners rather than the gunwash I use now

Looks like dad was storing a sack of potatoes in the garage, bet they tasted good after soaking up plenty of overspray.

Time to get some paint, there was some stuff called re-paint that was aimed at DIY car work and supposed to be applied with a brush and give great results, I couldn't find any in the local shop so bought 3 litres of tractor enamel.

It went on just fine,

yellow, though boy george referred to it as 'gold'

I like how you saved prep and did the handles at the same time - efficient

"Colour coded"

Back in the day there was 'Vauxhall Sport', the factory race cars used three coloured stripes, a theme that was carried over to the 'hot' production models similar to the M-sport logo BMW use.

The BTCC car

I was intending on doing something similar, but betterer, moar indervidjual.

It was sprayed, though I appear to have brush marks, I don't recall any flatting between coats though.

More colour coding

Even painted the new garage floor for my dad, which was good of me.

Note the perfect prep on the front valance
    Last edited by regcheeseman; 24-09-2015 at 01:24 PM.

Colour coding the back of the headlights is going above and beyond - such skills at a young age!
    Alan says: Selling the $hit in the garage pays for new toys

yep no stone left unturned, attention to detail and all that - this wasn't some kind of lash-up bodge job.

Holy shit!!!!

EPIC!!!!!!

The cowboy builders have been at it again

Masking up for the final stripe

And painted

I'd like to say no drugs were involved in the design of the paint scheme

But I'd be lying

That paint job looks a lot like the one I did on my Talbot sunbeam around the time