Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: "How To" MK3 Caddy (2K) BLS Engine Conversion to older generation PD TDI

Quote Originally Posted by caddyrage View Post
    Good right up AL
    You say your better off buying a complete donor but can you list exactly what bits of the engine you need?

I have read up that the throwing a rod fault with BLS is caused by poor crank bearings. Mine is roughly on 260k now lol
    you can get away with just the block, but it depends if you just want to replace or make improvements like more power or 6sp

Quote Originally Posted by Blakey260 View Post
    Does this still run alright on the BLS ecu, or does it need remapping so it runs properly?
    if you use the BLS injectors and EGR & cooler then it wont require mapping

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_T View Post
    That was my thinking too, for the hassle involved in having to go back and do it after the engines in i wasnt prepared to risk it. Out of curiosity though I will try connecting the old one up just to see
    Hi Rich, i am currently on stripping the damaged BLS enginge out of my caddy to fit my forged ASZ engine, im having thoughts about this crank sensor issue, did you manage to get it connected to see if it works?? This would be my much preferred route as its all currently built and does not have the hole for the other sensor, any help would be great thanks

Do you have anymore input on this AL?? Thanks
    Last edited by Airs; 15-06-2016 at 10:35 PM.

No, i never tried the original sender, just stuck with the bls one. Its not that much hassle to make the bls one fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_T View Post
    No, i never tried the original sender, just stuck with the bls one. Its not that much hassle to make the bls one fit.
    Id just thought as my engine is all brand new from ground up will all new seals, it made sense to try reuse original sensor as its easier to access if failure occurs also that i have my engine all fully sealed up and its not leaking so seems silly to to be buying and fitting a new seal to it, are you in a position that you could test the arl sensor to see if it would work for me?? Any help would be amazing

Wiring it up to the golf sensor isnt that straight forward, its not that easy to access the bls sensor and id need to make up an adaptor loom, so would only do it if the bls one failed

I only know of one car that tried to use the original sensor (my mapper) and it didnt work out.

Your going to have to use the BLS sensor and mod the block accordingly

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    I only know of one car that tried to use the original sensor (my mapper) and it didnt work out.

Your going to have to use the BLS sensor and mod the block accordingly
    Yeah my friend has been speaking to bobby about this and he agress, just read a thread saying you could, never mind, next question, can i still retain my ASZ crank that i have fitted or do i have to use the BLS crank?? Thanks guys btw your help is much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Airs View Post
    Yeah my friend has been speaking to bobby about this and he agress, just read a thread saying you could, never mind, next question, can i still retain my ASZ crank that i have fitted or do i have to use the BLS crank?? Thanks guys btw your help is much appreciated
    yes, everything on the ASZ remains as it is, you just need to make a hole in the block webbing as per the pics in the first page

yes, everything on the ASZ remains as it is, you just need to make a hole in the block webbing as per the pics in the first page
    That is a massive weight lifted then thank you Al, one last question, remember reading through your build on this and seen that you had to change the camshaft hub, is this still the case or is the ASZ one actually fine??

No, you have to use the BLS hub

No, you have to use the BLS hub
    Thats great AL thank you, i shall update with how im getting on

You'll need the proper tool to seat the BLS crank seal, so factor that into it all.

Hi all , many thanks for this well done Thread. I start my arl conversion and looking for both vag ref for the two oil cooler to water pipe hose ??

I think the short one water pipe is 1K0121157BJ but for the second one the Water Flange On Head Side , I don't know ??

Hi what about the oil filter housing will it bolt straight on? Replacing a BLS engine my caddy to a PD, but it was remapped to 150bhp with the old engine will this effect the new PD engine? And the DPF take it it'll need mapped out of it?
    Many thanks

Hi guys,little off topic but related,im about to do a similar conversion on an 08 golf currently with a hole in the block bxe code engine.Intending to convert to an ajm 115.......has anyone been able to use the original ajm crank sensor?if so how?Is it possible to remove and refit (with a new oil seal) the bxe crank sensor onto the ajm without the correct tool?

you can fit the seal without the tool but you will still need to modify the block

thanks for the reply........ready to go ahead on friday night

All in and running at last but do you have any pictures of your top intercooler piping?

Hi Al,
    Nice DIY. I done this to my caddy yesterday. I have started the engine (without remap yet) and it runs not nice, feels like misfire. Have you try to start the engine before remap? was it running nice? I done a compresion test before - all cylinders the same...
    Thanks in advance