Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: "How To" MK3 Caddy (2K) BLS Engine Conversion to older generation PD TDI

Got a golf gttdi to do the conversion with now. will the 130 turbo fit, I will have to make up a down pipe using the golf one but is there enough room for the turbo to clear the bulkhead? In your pictures it looks like you used the BLS turbo

Quote Originally Posted by hoyboy View Post
    Got a golf gttdi to do the conversion with now. will the 130 turbo fit, I will have to make up a down pipe using the golf one but is there enough room for the turbo to clear the bulkhead? In your pictures it looks like you used the BLS turbo
    If using the 130 turbo you could use the pipework and downpipe from an earlier BJB TDi Caddy. My turbo is a GT1749VC hybrid

I would like to go for a hybrid but not wanting to spend a fortune either. I have the pipework from the golf plus numerous other bits of pipework lying around off of other vehicles, so I might be able to bodge something to make the 130 turbo work. With that setup you have there is that using the BLS intake manifold and BLS intake ducting and MAF sensor housing? If I end up needing to get a turbo which mounts above the manifold like the BLS one, which cars were these fitted to? I want it to be equal to or better performance than the golf 130 turbo. Thanks for your help.

yes everything is BLS apart from the turbo, which is a PD140 8v manifold with PD170 internals, mine is running 1.7 bar and is around 200hp. I bought mine from Xman

Hi AL

Sorry to bother you but do you no if I can use a Seat Ibiza (160) BPX engine code?

thanks

So is any mk5 platform 2.0 PD turbo compatible with the caddy pipework. If so would a 140 turbo be any improvement over the 130?

the 2.0 is a 16v and the manifold footprint is different to the 8v engine. There are some Passats & EOS's in the UK with engine code BMP which is a 2.0 8v 140 with the GT1646V turbo, which would work, but is smaller than the PD130 gt1749

Thanks for your help. I didn't realise all the 2.0 units were 16v. I'm gonna stick with the 130 turbo for now, bodge some pipework, have it mapped close to its limit and if the turbo lasts then good but if not, time for a hybrid. I'm Still a long way off having her running yet but just handy to know what turbo to be on the lookout for if any are about second hand.

If you change the pipe work there are a lot more turbo options for the future, even the similar PD150 will take more boost for longer due to its titanium internals

hi I have a touran 2007 v2 with BXE engine gone bang & was also thinking of putting complete ASZ engine in as I have full car sat there. Was told if I had engine loom it would just plug n play if I had the ecu delete done to get round key & clocks as I wouldn't need them. Would I be right in guess there wrong from reading this thread. If so can you help & point me the right way to do this pls.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eli178 View Post
    Was told if I had engine loom it would just plug n play if I had the ecu delete done to get round key & clocks as I wouldn't need them.
    You was given wrong information, it wont plug n play, both have complete different systems.

Anyhow, its much easier to modify the block than even to consider trying to get another loom to work correctly!

[QUOTE=Al;759820]You was given wrong information, it wont plug n play, both have complete different systems.

Anyhow, its much easier to modify the block than even to consider trying to get another loom to work correctly![/QUOTE

Cheers for info when you say block do you meen just the bottom end & no head?

Al, i noticed you asked the same question but disnt get an answer on Bobby Singhs thread on the tdi forum. I may be missing something but is there any reason not to use the golf sump and retain the golf pick up pipe etc or does it need the bls sump etc for some reason

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_T View Post
    Al, i noticed you asked the same question but disnt get an answer on Bobby Singhs thread on the tdi forum. I may be missing something but is there any reason not to use the golf sump and retain the golf pick up pipe etc or does it need the bls sump etc for some reason
    I used the Golf sump, pump etc.

I did ask Bobby when he mapped it, but he couldnt exactly remember, he seemed to think it was something to do with the oil pump, but its not an issue if using the full Golf setup! From memory I think Bobby just had a sumpless donor engine so used everything from the BLS because the BLS sump didnt fit over the ASZ pump.

Just found this in an old email from him, but just use all the Golf stuff

I fitted the oil pump and pick up pipe from the BLS due to the sump differences between the ARL and BLS.
    If you wanted to use the ARL sump I don't see any reason why you couldn't use the ARL oil pump set up, but I'm getting flash backs of possibly the front cover being different - You will need to make this judgement when you have both engines apart in front of you.

That would make sense, looking at it i couldnt see any reason not to use the golf setup.

Out of interest, did you ever try rynning it with the ARL crank sensor connected

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_T View Post
    That would make sense, looking at it i couldnt see any reason not to use the golf setup.

Out of interest, did you ever try rynning it with the ARL crank sensor connected
    No, I wasnt prepared to take the chance of installing the engine and then it not work, especially when cutting the hole was only a couple of hours work!

And since speaking to Bobby, he didnt actually use it on the one he did for some reason or another!

That was my thinking too, for the hassle involved in having to go back and do it after the engines in i wasnt prepared to risk it. Out of curiosity though I will try connecting the old one up just to see

Good right up AL
    You say your better off buying a complete donor but can you list exactly what bits of the engine you need?

I have read up that the throwing a rod fault with BLS is caused by poor crank bearings.
    Last edited by caddyrage; 08-09-2016 at 08:09 PM.

Does this still run alright on the BLS ecu, or does it need remapping so it runs properly?