Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Important news regarding the CLASSIFIEDS

Important news regarding the CLASSIFIEDS

After much thought We have decided to relax the £5 levy on the classifieds sections of this website to all members

In the mean time I will have a think about other ways of generating income for the forum but for now the Forum is now FREE to advertise on. But the normal rules still apply.

For those have have paid in the past, I would like to thank you for your contribution to the forum

Cheers

Al

Rx7 forum allows voluntary membership

you don't need to pay to use it, but a £10 donation makes you silver and a £20 donation makes you gold (or something like that)

Doesn't seem a big price considering how much the forum will have saved most people!

I've always wondered how I become a fully paid up member. Considering the amount of advice and help I've received from this forum I'd be more than happy to pay an annual fee or something to keep it going.

Voluntary would be important, but im not going to make any hasty decisions

Quote Originally Posted by EdCaddy View Post
    I've always wondered how I become a fully paid up member. Considering the amount of advice and help I've received from this forum I'd be more than happy to pay an annual fee or something to keep it going.
    Thanks Ed, but not everyone thinks like that, so I will remain free for everyone to use

Forums were all the rage until social media took over, so you have to adapt with the times to survive, what we have over SM sites is a comprehensive database of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    Thanks Ed, but not everyone thinks like that, so I will remain free for everyone to use

Forums were all the rage until social media took over, so you have to adapt with the times to survive, what we have over SM sites is a comprehensive database of knowledge
    Very true. Maybe get a little poll going to see what people think? Maybe make certain areas of the forum or certain articles available/editable/updatable by paid members only? Just a thought. I can only speak for myself. I'm realistic and know not everyone is in a position to spend spare cash on a forum membership, but surely those that deem the information valuable enough would be willing to contribute towards things like domain costs? Like 13 said, not necessarily compulsory but the option to donate would be good.

Should be done.......
    Alan says: Selling the $hit in the garage pays for new toys

Yeah that worked
    Alan says: Selling the $hit in the garage pays for new toys

you don't want to put off people who will bring more knowledge, so i'd leave it all open and have donations maybe a banner (just one) for adverts to bring a bit more in if needed?

In the mean time I will have a think about other ways of generating income for the forum

Keyrings?

Stickers?

T shirts?

Rx7 forum allows voluntary membership

you don't need to pay to use it, but a £10 donation makes you silver and a £20 donation makes you gold (or something like that)
    Do you get something really appropriate like a big badge saying 'member' next to your avatar?

The adopt similar on another forum I frequent, the clit van forum

There is a culture of not replying to non-members and it has even been openly stated - 'pay your £10 if you want an answer'

The Mk1 owners forum are even worse, they have a mutual back slapathon, you can donate every month and there is a running top ten donators chart right on the front page. It seems the more you donate - the more self righteous a cunt you are.
    Last edited by regcheeseman; 10-07-2015 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by regcheeseman View Post
    The Mk1 owners forum are even worse, they have a mutual back slapathon, you can donate every month and there is a running top ten donators chart right on the front page. It seems the more you donate - the more self righteous a cunt you are.
    can't see that happening, all us self righteous cunts are poor!

Got it...dumbmonkey gave me an idea.....

paid members get sigs.

we can do many thing reginald, any of the above or or all.

Problem with clothing and keyrings is that I have to layout the dosh and wait for a return. I bought stickers, but end up giving them away, so its cost rather than generates, there was someone on here who did clothing and mugs etc. if we can buy as you go it could work

The old skool ford forum give a "Cult of OSF" avatar which seems to work ok. But it does give the impression that you should pay up or your not welcome, but I have never seen posts ignored on there or anything to suggest elitism

http://www.oldskoolford.co.uk/ipb/in...d-capri-lazer/

So in theory paid up members could have something like:

• paid up avatar (as long as we can get a hack for the software)
    • Signatures
    • access to the how to's
    • Shop Discount
    • Forum Sticker
    • Preference to show bookings lol

Any more ideas?
    Last edited by Al; 10-07-2015 at 12:29 PM.

Lol I turned off signatures years ago. Well gash!

On the RX forum, everybody is treated equally - I think the elitism thing is a VW thing. Maybe because you can have a £100 caddy or a £40,000 golf or bus and still be part of the same whole.

why out of interest are you scrapping the £5?

If we made some more really strong how to's - could they be sell-able? - ie a good reason to pay up.

vwcaddy.com could become the home of vw knowledge (if it isn't already)

Problem with clothing and keyrings
    It was a rather tongue in cheek suggestion Al, every so often some comes along, promise they can do X Y and Z and how it's such a great idea and they disappear again, there was someone a who months ago who thought it was really bad that we did no merch and how his forum (probably a polo related one) did all this really cool merch and was totally funded by t-shirts because they were so cool.
    He was going to change everything and had loads of ideas.....

Talking about 'full of ideas and delivering nowt' - anyone seen pigeon legs pearson around recently?

Quote Originally Posted by 13 View Post

why out of interest are you scrapping the £5?
    In a nutshell "Social media", its partically Facebook that is taking traffic from all forums and advertising is FREE and so is it to create a group! And as you know decent hosting, domain names, daily backups etc all cost dosh. In reality I get about £5 a month for advertising, and if its that detrimental to the forum I would sooner pull an extra fiver out of my pocket!

So we have to constantly change to keep members here on the forum, yes FB is full of shit on the most part which disapears off the page in have hour so there is not actually much decent tangable content or search function.

looking at the actual traffic on the forum it is busier than ever (which makes the hosting cost more), but people are using it as a source of info without contributing or posting But then if I lock the forum for members only it has a drastic affect on our google rating as the google bots cannot read the content.

So we cant bloody win! We just have to suffer FB and make the most of the current situation
    Last edited by Al; 10-07-2015 at 01:26 PM.

playing the triangle in a reggae band.... and ting
    i always link to the forum when possible, and rotate the pinned post between the forum and various items in the shop, and of course link to and encourage people to buy items from the shop... i am pretty sure at least some of them come over and buy....

playing the triangle in a reggae band.... and ting
    oh, and maybe think about personalized build thread url's like vwcaddy.com/mlbv and maybe a matching sticker, i'd buy one...

Quote Originally Posted by My Little Brother's Van View Post
    i always link to the forum when possible, and rotate the pinned post between the forum and various items in the shop, and of course link to and encourage people to buy items from the shop... i am pretty sure at least some of them come over and buy....
    I know

It wasnt directed at a specific group, but if you search vw caddy on FB for example there are several pages.

How To's only being accessible sounds like an excellent plan for attracting more sign ups.

I think only paid members viewing How To's is just going to push you even further away from the Facebook brigade, for the detriment of the community.