Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My orange daily-drive workhorse project

My orange daily-drive workhorse project

Hey all,

I've been trawling the forums for the last few days looking for inspiration and information and thought it's about time I make my first post, so here's my story ...

A couple of years ago whilst looking for a new car I stumbled accross the caddy I now own at my local garage, didn't think much of it at the time, just another cheap £800 car I can run into the ground befor the next MOT is due.... But since then I have fallen more and more in love with most every aspect of my little van, despite the painfully slow Diesel engine and forever growing rust patches ...

I run a gardening business which the caddy is perfect for, and my van has built just as bigger reputation in my local area as I have, thanks to its distinctive (faded) colour...

Although I know very little about mechanics I like to think I've made a few improvements to my shed... And this is where it all started .....
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

First thing was to tidy up the bed, bit of black paint out of a rattle can to cover up the repaired rust above the dampers
    image.jpg

I then got carried away and sprayed the rest of the rear bulkhead around the window, and then did the roof to match... (Don't have any pics of the roof)

Having put my mark upon the caddy I felt content, and enjoyed using and abusing it as a work horse for the next year or so... But right around MOT time the rusty front suspension struts gave way and the caddy fell on its chin like a toddler...

And being a believer in "never replace, always upgrade" I started looking into supension kits to lower the ride height... But they don't exist !!
    I suppose because no-one in history has ever 'slammed' grandma's felicia lol

To be continued ... (If anyone cares)

Welcome - you go well armed for a gardener - no wonder you are gaining a reputation

that's in decent nick, loving the colour as well.

better get the welder out.

Haha, they're some old weekend toys, it's the only pic I have of the bed in its original colour

image.jpg

After a year or so of wear and tear the paint in the bed began to wear away

image.jpg

So after a top up of bed liner paint I got inspired to keep modifying and found a set of third hand seats, I got them out of a land rover but was told they originally came from an MR2...

Whilst stripping things out of the interior I had the idea of a cheap inside make over, stripped out the carpet and all the plastics, except the dash, coz that was too complicated, and spray painted everything black....

To my surprise it came out quite well, even the horrible grey and stained carpet looked like brand new having just been painted
    Interior transformed !

It then dawned on me that the truck could never be cool all the time it's sitting so tall, so I was back on the suspension hunt.... Following some advise of a completely uncredited stranger off the internet I decided to buy a coilover suspension kit for a FORD FOCUS !
    image.jpg
    £150 !!!! I thought at that price I couldn't go wrong !

They didn't fit ..... But they were close ! So after drilling out the hubs and bodging together some top mounts and using a very big hammer, I finally fitted the front coil overs but couldn't find any way to use the rear set (rear Ford Focus lowering springs and seriously cheap dampers for sale if any one is interested )

After bodging in the front coil overs I was dead confident I could make the rear coil springs work for sure, so I set about cutting out the rusted old dampers and springs
    image.jpg

Having literally cut out the old suspension and not being able to fit the ford suspension and it being a Sunday, I found myself with NO rear suspension at all, but still need my faithful work horse the next day...
    image.jpg

Turns out it's NOT a good idea to drive around all day with the chassis sitting on the rear axle and nothing in between, makes a hell of a lot of noise and feels like it's going to shake the whole van to pieces
    So the only solution I could come up with was to purchase some new standard rear shocks and use the cut down original springs ... I still need to solve this problem !!!

Due to my standard dampers being so tall I can't lower the rear by much, can any one recommend a set of shorter dampers I can use to get the rear lower ?....

To be continued.....

I thought the focus ones fitted? obviously they don't!

someone has used ones off a KIA but im not sure which ones.

ill put the info in my research thread when I find it but the info is on the forum somewhere.

The rear dampers for the Ford Focus don't have long enough thread at the top to reach all the way through the standard top mounts, I looked into getting them machined down but was advised it wasn't really possible

next was wheels, I picked up some cheap rims off a friend that were peeling away and badly curbed

image.jpg

image.jpg

A good sanding down to remove the curbed scuffs....

And I thought seeing as they need painting, may as well make it Volkswagen brilliant orange ( to match the body) and FORD graphite grey, to match the suspension lol! And re sprayed the roof in ford graphite grey to match

image.jpg

image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

those are some sexy wheels!

ATS cups always suit the mk2 pickup.

Found an old D lock in the ground at work, painted it with left over paint from the wheels and hung it from the towing eye, simple little touch, but builds a bit more character

image.jpg

More pics of the new wheels

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

It's MOT time again always a risky time of year for a beaten old mk 2 that's had the suspension bodged in by a gardener

But it's just had new disks and pads up front. I really wanted to take the chance to do a brake upgrade (always upgrade, never replace) but there wasn't enough time to source and test fit parts b for the MOT.. I found lots of helpful advice on here about brake upgrades, but no conclusive answers to what the best option for an upgrade on the skoda platform would be so I settled for standard replacements

In other news my first ever set of 4 brand new matching tyres are on their way in the post, gone for a lower profile than I'm currently running...
    Also can't wait for the chance to tighten the valves on my wheels whilst the tyres are off so I don't have to keep pumping the bloody things up each week

Ive just done a front brake upgrade to my mk2 pickup:

Theres a thread over on Briskoda which explains the conversion: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic...rakes-upgrade/

Basically you use Kia Rio or Hyundai Accent 256mm front discs (ebay £30), which bolt straight on, and mk1 Ford Mondeo front calipers (£15 each from scrappy).
    The calipers have 12mm mounting holes, now some mk2 pickups have 12mm mounting holes (like mine) which is nice, and some have 10mm holes which need to be opened up on a pillar drill. Apart from this the caliper bracket needs a little fettling with the grinder to clear the hub and it all bolts straight on, even the Skoda brake hose fits!

This is a very effective upgrade, I have a turbo diesel engine in my truck and it all feels so much safer now I can actually stop!

nice job on teh rims, they look good

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyDerv View Post
    Ive just done a front brake upgrade to my mk2 pickup:

Theres a thread over on Briskoda which explains the conversion: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic...rakes-upgrade/

Basically you use Kia Rio or Hyundai Accent 256mm front discs (ebay £30), which bolt straight on, and mk1 Ford Mondeo front calipers (£15 each from scrappy).
    The calipers have 12mm mounting holes, now some mk2 pickups have 12mm mounting holes (like mine) which is nice, and some have 10mm holes which need to be opened up on a pillar drill. Apart from this the caliper bracket needs a little fettling with the grinder to clear the hub and it all bolts straight on, even the Skoda brake hose fits!

This is a very effective upgrade, I have a turbo diesel engine in my truck and it all feels so much safer now I can actually stop!
    Thanks for the help !!! That might well be next on the to do list once it goes through this MOT

Quote Originally Posted by 13 View Post
    nice job on teh rims, they look good
    thanks, when I first peeled off the masking tape I was worried they were too bright. I felt like a chav with a brand new set of Nike trainers haha, but now they've been on a while and built up some dirt they fit quite nicely

Though it's just failed it's MOT today because one of my wheels has a huge flat spot (thankfully on the inside of the rim) and I don't know what to do about it, the only idea I've got at the moment is beat the f*ck out of it with a big hammer and then get it re-balanced

It's through the MOT !!!

Had the front wings welded up, a new wheel bearing and a couple of bulbs....

And just got some new rubber for it too

(Pics to be added later)

But the bad news is, (as usual) ; the vans come back from the MOT in worse shape than when it went in ...
    I've got a very obscure sound coming from the passengers side, maybe front or back wheel
    And my van no longer sits level ?!

Does any one know how an MOT could affect the ride height of the rear of the truck ?

I thought one of the springs may have fallen out, and they had put it back in the wrong way round, but it's nothing to do with the springs, and if anything, the left side has been raised as opposed to the right side having dropped... Pics to come

The left side is consistently 15-20mm higher than the right, doesn't matter how many times I jacked it up and down, swapped the springs around etc. and I can't work out why;
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

I know it's not the springs because their both the same, and if I swap the springs to opposite sides, it's still the left side of the truck that's high...
    Which leads me to think, I've either bent the rear axle, or twisted the entire chassis

I took a photo with my camera and truck sat on level ground to try and see if the axle is bent :
    image.jpg

Any ideas ? (Besides scrapping the truck and getting a mk1)

New tyres ...
    image.jpg

Welding repairs from MOT...
    image.jpg

Primer spray from the welding has left me with stupid grey stripes up both wings...
    image.jpg
    image.jpg[
    ATTACH=CONFIG]24642[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images

normally you can adjust the fronts to square things up.nsf will affect osr and vice verser.