Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: My first project

Quote Originally Posted by fuus View Post
    Right oh.. Will I need the cap off a mk2 golf reservoir also or does the mk1 item fit? Thanks in advance!
    Make sure its from a NON hydraulic clutch type, otherwise you will have and extra outlet.

I doesnt need to be from a MK2 niether (only 16v & G60s work anyway). MK3 golfs, 6k Ibizas, B3/4 Passats, 9k Caddy Vans (sdi) etc are all the same. TBH they were cheap from VW new

So a 8V GTI reservoir wouldn't fit? Bummer I had one lined up for £10 posted..... Back to the drawing board

So a 8V GTI reservoir wouldn't fit? Bummer I had one lined up for £10 posted..... Back to the drawing board
    you need one from a 22.2 plus master cylinder, not the old 19mm type.

someone on hear must be breaking a MK2 Caddy or ibiza (non tdi)

Cheers Al!

Good 4 hours spent today struggling to remove the shackle bolts... damn things

Turns out one had a massive bend in it, standard. The next one was out in 10 minutes!

Caddy has been taking the piss this evening, cue multiple rounded Brake hose bolt things... Grrrr. In good news, new callipers and carriers fit a treat!

Caddy has been taking the piss this evening, cue multiple rounded Brake hose bolt things...
    They do like to seize and chew up, do you have a proper brake pipe spanner? A pre-emptive squirt of penetrating fluid helps - probably all a bit late now though.

We did multiple doses of Plusgas over a few days and used a Draper brake spanner, The lines attaching to the front callipers won't be too difficult to replace. I'm much more worried about the rounding of one of the lines going into the rear compensator... Maybe we'll have to angle grind the line off, drill out the end then re tap the hole slightly bigger... Life!
    Last edited by fuus; 29-01-2015 at 09:33 AM.

got the new 9 inch servo on today; feels so good to see things come together!

more questions for the wisemen on the topic of paint:

What's best to touch up under the body where underseal is peeling away, but no proper rust. Hammerlite? Should I peel as much as possible away?

I'm having some welding done by a family friends, but won't get it to the body shop for a selection of touch ups for a month or so as said family friend can only do work on Mondays due to work commitments and in this time it will be driven around a bit; what is best to prime / cover the spots he welds so no rust builds up and has reasonable weather resistance?
    Last edited by fuus; 04-02-2015 at 08:45 PM.

peel/grind off the old sealer and remove any surface rust. Then touch it in with either an etch or epoxy primer. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EPOXY-GREY...item43ceda7991

once thats dry replace the sealer. Use PU, it can be applied by brush, caulkin gun or fingers http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...ealer&_sacat=0

and when that is dry you can stone chip over that http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HAMMERITE-...item259987801d

Hammerite?
    NO! Never. EVER.

Bilt Hamber electrox (non-porous high zinc primer) available in rattlecans or epoxy mastic not available in rattlecans AFAIK

So ~
    Bilt Hamber electrox primer
    PU Sealer
    Stonechip

For applications under the car,

What about applications on visible panels which have had welding done? I guess same primer?

Thanks for the help Al and Reg

Quote Originally Posted by regcheeseman View Post
    NO! Never. EVER.

Bilt Hamber electrox (non-porous high zinc primer) available in rattlecans or epoxy mastic not available in rattlecans AFAIK
    hahahaha, chill out!

is there any primer applicable for application to not entirely clean metal? I'm not sure I'll ever get as much as I want to out.

How I hate lying under that f***ing car with a wire cup brush

No. Do the job properly.
    think about a rotisserie if you are bored of lying under the car

Or use a ghetto rotisserie.

image.jpg

rotisserie is a no go due to limited budget / lack of welding skills to make a cheap one. None of the rust I want to treat is serious so I guess I'll just persevere. Thanks all!