Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: My first project

My First Project

So following on from my posts in the intro forum I finally have my first project home;
    IMG_0927.jpgIMG_0925.jpgIMG_0923.jpgIMG_0920.jpgIMG_0918.jpg

Usual scabs hidden under the mud as per. Just to get any idea anyone have any idea how much it would cost to have these bits sorted professionally? I don't intend for this to be a chequebook build but I have very little welding knowledge and I'm sure I'd make a hash of it!

Thanks, Fuus
    Last edited by fuus; 02-02-2016 at 05:39 PM.

Looks tidy!

Difficult to say really, it would depend on the person doing the work and how much they deem necessary to hack out, and also what kind of finish they do afterwards

Is it likely to be £500+? Is it a viable option to wire brush, primer / top coat and leave it for a few more years? How much of a problem am I looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by fuus View Post
    Is it likely to be £500+? Is it a viable option to wire brush, primer / top coat and leave it for a few more years? How much of a problem am I looking at?
    Best bet would be asking at a few places, or finding somebody handy with a welder!

hmmm.... sort of depends on how "deep" it is.

If its just "surface rust" then maybe you will have enough metal to grind away the rust, but it may leave it too thin. you really need to get rid of ALL trace, all the little black bits before that will be effective.

I'd recommend painting with epoxy mastic at that stage.

Problem wise, well, in my humble opinion - (not trying to scare you because that looks a solid little truck, the b-pillars look great, as does the bed and underscreen panel) rust is about the worst thing that can happen to a car - meachanical stuff is easy to unbolt and rebolt, but once rust takes hold......

Best bet would probably be to get the shell acid dipped and epoxied.... but that cost will make you wince lol

It's definitely rusted all the way through in those spots in the arches... I can confirm the b-pillars and scuttle are spotless on the rust front, it's just these rear arches that need sorting...

There's also a scab on one door, and it's probably going to need a new pair of wings...

It may be time to teach myself welding properly!

The worst bit looks to be that inner arch that's perforated, once the tin worm gets in there, it creeps up the inside of the sill.

proper fix - cut it all out and weld in good metal, zinc prime/epoxy mastic, paint, cavity wax, seam seal, underbody seal/schutz

quick fix, slap some P38 in there, brush some underseal over the top of the repair

reasonable fix - clean the metal up as best you can with a wire brush on drill/grinder, plate over hole, use loads of decent cavity wax, then primer, paint and seal.

Being able to weld is a prime requisite if you want to use old cars on a limited budget - it's a good skill to learn.

If the winds are salvageable, I'd do that than getting pattern wings

Quote Originally Posted by regcheeseman View Post
    quick fix, slap some P38 in there, brush some underseal over the top of the repair
    Don't expect this to last too long

Nice caddy. Envious of the actual support and help your receiving re welding.... lol

I subscribed......

I need to learn welding as well

Quote Originally Posted by frank-pearson View Post
    Envious of the actual support and help your receiving re welding.... lol
    You never asked!

Appreciate all the advice folks! What is P38 exactly? Looks like I'm heading down the proper fix route...

I will take a picture of the wings but I think one is probably too far gone... I may try and obtain some genuine second hand wings because £175 a wing definitely isn't in my budget!

I'm going to get it up on axle stands tomorrow at some point so I'll take more pictures then and get a better idea of what needs doing. Good news is I have inside space to work in, bad news is it has wooden walls

[montypython]It HAS walls? ooooooh get you, and your walls, when I did my caddy it were outside in the cold and wet [/montypython]

I didn't mean P38 - I meant P40, neither should be used for this repair.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 View Post
    You never asked!
    haha no but imagine if I did

Unfortunately wooden walls have a habit of getting hot, then no longer existing when introduced to sparks from my limited experience....

Ah I do intend to avoid filler entirely!

Good news is only one scab is on the proper visible paintwork so as long as I don't make a proper hash of it all will be well!

Quote Originally Posted by fuus View Post
    Unfortunately wooden walls have a habit of getting hot, then no longer existing when introduced to sparks from my limited experience....
    Nah they dont, I often weld near or grind directly onto scrap pieces of wood - never had a piece catch alight yet, mind you, there are some on here that know full well that devon wood doesn't burn.

You wait until you need to get them old wings off - then you'll need the fire....

You don't fill me with confidence Reg

Any of you old gits got some wings for sale?

what's wrong with your old ones - they don't look that bad?

Wow..... That is a nice looking Caddy to start with !! The wing in the pic looks ok, Whats up with the other wing ?

I'll upload some pictures this afternoon to show the worst

I think the good condition comes down to 82k on the clocks and having lived inside so much