Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 187

Thread: Project Donk-Back In The Saddle

  1. #41
    Had a poke about with the cab recently, decided to bin off the seat upright to give me a couple inches more space. Still a work in progress, just dicking around really.








    Also modded the tunnel to allow me to move the gear linkage over to the left, which then allowed me to run the shortened handbrake alongside it.

  2. #42
    Early Xmas present arrived today off Bad Santa Shurety. Mounts and hydro clutch conversion gubbins. Looks like i'll be busy over xmas wahey!


  3. #43
    Engine in, engine fits. Will need a smaller oil filter as it fouls the front panel, no biggy. Loads of room for a downpipe, which im happy about. I'm also very happy about the decision to go for the later 02a gearbox with cable linkages, as even without any adjustment these ase already much smoother than any rod setup ive used. Now I can tweak my loom lengths and make final adjustments and maybe get it running some time soon. Ish. In 2016. Hopefully.


  4. #44
    I painted my caddy today



    Granted its a toy one, but it is the colour ive decided to go for. Its a shade they painted the Karmann Ghias

    Ive also got the wiring to the stage where the engine will fire up on the button. However the immobiliser is playing up and cutting power so i'm going to get it deleted

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    in wiffy viral quarantine
    Posts
    15,671
    I love your last couple of updates - that bench looks really good - what I initially had in mind for mine, till i gave up!

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    North Devon
    Posts
    17,895
    one thing.... I know you'll make it look amazing quality, but roundy upholstery in a mk1? Will it look right?

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by regcheeseman View Post
    one thing.... I know you'll make it look amazing quality, but roundy upholstery in a mk1? Will it look right?
    Have faith Reg

    Im having trouble at the moment resisting making a dash from scratch............

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    North Devon
    Posts
    17,895
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nuts View Post
    Have faith Reg
    Knowing you, I'm sure it'll be bob-on.

    Please make sure you show plenty of pics of the upholstery, I'd like to see how it should be done.

    Are those wooden sections on the sides/rear of the seat base? why have you done that?


    As for the colour, what kind of fool paints a caddy some sort of sickly yellow colour........oh ahem.

  9. #49
    The woods been binned off on the back now, its a steel frame more like a traditional rear seat in a golf of sorts. With regards the base, thats pretty standard practise in the hot rod world, or your t4 rock and roll bed i guess. Its only a problem if you dont use a decent grade of foam and your arse is actually squat on that. Im tempted to cut the arse area out of the wood and lace some webbing in, but 1. i dont think it'll need it and B. the support bar for the seat is not far from in the way.

    Thats only a rough out of the seat, it will get foam cut away in areas, and more added in others, it looks like ive nicked it out of the reject corner of DFS development centre as it sits.

    I've decided to put a bench seat in as sadly im all loved up and were planning on spending a lot of time in this wee beasty over the summers, and we need somewhere for her dog to sit. Personally i'd put in the back but apparantly thats not very nice........

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    North Devon
    Posts
    17,895
    put her in the back then.


    what do the wood sections do? Just stop the seat from squishing out in the wrong direction?

    Never seen wood on the side of a T4 rock and roll, is that because they are made as cheaply and quickly as possible, rectangular wood base, foam slapped on top and poorly covered, no shape and even if you want something as complex as a knee roll it'll cost you plenty

    Don't go and get too loved up, there's no way to fit the pair of you and a baby seat in a caddy, even with a bench seat - still; I suppose she can always keep the dog happy in the back.

  11. #51
    Guess what! I now need a headliner as I ripped mine PM on its way

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by regcheeseman View Post
    put her in the back then.


    what do the wood sections do? Just stop the seat from squishing out in the wrong direction?

    Never seen wood on the side of a T4 rock and roll, is that because they are made as cheaply and quickly as possible, rectangular wood base, foam slapped on top and poorly covered, no shape and even if you want something as complex as a knee roll it'll cost you plenty

    Don't go and get too loved up, there's no way to fit the pair of you and a baby seat in a caddy, even with a bench seat - still; I suppose she can always keep the dog happy in the back.


    Wood on the side? You mean those different coloured bits on the end of the base?? Thats just a different grade of foam that i didnt mind butchering just to play around with the shape. Once i'm happy with it it'll be getting replaced with something firmer.

    Heres one I made for a T5 that rocks the show scene to match his audi seats i'd already done, bit more square for you Reg you might like it a bit more





    Anyway, today I came into the workshop with fresh eyes and decided that the Bamboo colours was just a bit too lairy, so the hunt continues for the ever evading perfect colour

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    North Devon
    Posts
    17,895
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nuts View Post
    Wood on the side? You mean those different coloured bits on the end of the base?? Thats just a different grade of foam that i didnt mind butchering just to play around with the shape. Once i'm happy with it it'll be getting replaced with something firmer.
    ha ha - it looks like lumps of shaped MDF!

    Those T5 seat don't look too comfy, bloody lovely upholstery though

  14. #54
    Comfort had nowt to do with it, he just wanted it to look pretty. Absolutely useless as a bed.

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    North Devon
    Posts
    17,895
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nuts View Post
    Comfort had nowt to do with it, he just wanted it to look pretty. Absolutely useless as a bed.
    Exactly as I suspected

    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nuts View Post
    Anyway, today I came into the workshop with fresh eyes and decided that the Bamboo colours was just a bit too lairy, so the hunt continues for the ever evading perfect colour
    L469 is what all the cool kids want.
    Last edited by regcheeseman; 20-01-2016 at 08:35 AM.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by regcheeseman View Post
    Exactly as I suspected



    L469 is what all the cool kids want.

    Im not very cool then.

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    North Devon
    Posts
    17,895
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nuts View Post
    Im not very cool then.
    you bought a mk1 caddy, that's a start....

  18. #58
    Yesterday was a good day

    http://vid38.photobucket.com/albums/...psmtw70duv.mp4


    It lives! and runs sweet

    I also had a friend of a friend come in to get a quote on having his motorbike seat trimmed, and after we'd had a chat it turned out he was a pretty shit hot welder/engineer and if I wanted any welding doing to give him a shout. So, the long and short is, he's going to cut and shut my rear axle, and im going to reward him with quilted leather loveliness for his lovely purpley red chopper. Everybody wins
    Last edited by rusty_nuts; 30-01-2016 at 09:13 AM.

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    North Devon
    Posts
    17,895
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nuts View Post
    I also had a friend of a friend come in to get a quote on having his motorbike seat trimmed, and after we'd had a chat it turned out he was a pretty shit hot welder/engineer and if I wanted any welding doing to give him a shout. So, the long and short is, he's going to cut and shut my rear axle, and im going to reward him with quilted leather loveliness for his lovely purpley red chopper. Everybody wins
    Nice one - do love a skills barter, why are all my mates who need stuff doing also fecking useless at anything I might need in exchange

  20. #60
    so I did the seat

    Before



    After





    Lovely custom built chopper rocking an 1800cc V twin kwakker lump. Sounded lovely.

    So he rewarded me with a narrowed and flipped axle





    Caddy's almost ready for paint thank fook



    Speaking of paint i went to the suppliers and rifled the colour chips till i found the colour i wanted, im going for fiat babyshit goldy greeny beige




    Today i welded the surplus holes in the front wings up, bumper mounts/aerial/indicator hole on clipper donor wing




    Then i drove over to Tamworth and picked up a big compressor to replace my knackered one. Ive got a big job on at the mo, but once thats out of the workshop its all hands on deck

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •