Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Donk-Back In The Saddle

Project Donk-Back In The Saddle

Well, im back. Did you miss me?

After selling my orange mk1 3 years ago I bought a T4 as it was more suitable for me at the time. That ended up like this

Which was all very nice, but I was getting a bit bored of it and felt a change was required. So I cashed in on the T4 goldrush and picked me up a cheap mk2 caddy as a workoss.

Ive been genuinely surprised by the mk2, it drives great, runs on fresh air and is a lot more comfortable place for my arse to be as I travel up and down the M5. Ive got an Ibiza front end to go on it when I have the chance to fit it, and ive dropped a pair of gti pew's in it and have a guy making me drop plates.

Aaanyway,some of you may know I'm a trimmer, and my main bread and butter is campers. But ive done a few mk1's this year, and the longing has grew and grew. Last month Vik bought in this little beauty

I threw this in, much to her delight

And by the end of the day I'd fell back in love, and you know, HAD to have another one.

So the hunt was on. I had two choices, either by a shed and do it up, or buy one already done and tweak it. No one wants to mess with somebody elses baby, plus the prices are high, so it was search for a shed time.

I knew one thing, the last thing I wanted was somebody elses abandoned project that was rammed full of clag hiding copious amounts of tin worm. So a keen eye was keep on tinterweb and after a wee while I was collecting this pup.

I knew I had to have it when I read this in the listing:

COMES COMPLETE WITH TENNIS BALL IN ENGINE COMPARTMENT, MOUSE NEST IN CAB
    AND ASSORTED RUBBISH IN PICK UP.

I'd gambled on an ebay sale for a truck that had apparently been bought as part of an auction for a deceased farmers estate, and had been sat in a barn for 10 years. The last tax disc is for 2003 so that tallys up with that.

Its rough in places, immediately I could see it has the usual arch rot and front floor pans were gone, but one thing it wasn't was full of filler. An honest, relatively straight truck.

I was dying to see what was under that soggy ply wood and layers of mulch.

Straight upto the unit first thing to see what lay underneath...

Pretty freakin happy with that, few small holes where the screws have let water through and it rotted, but ive ordered some of Al's repair plates and that will soon be sorted, along with these ropey arches

Also ordered in sills and a scuttle, gonna rip the lot out and make sure ive got a good solid base for the 20 valves that will be finding their way in it.

So yeah, that's the plan. I'm 30 next year, this thing is my present to myself. Would love to have it on the road for summer, let see how that pans out!
    Last edited by rusty_nuts; 15-11-2014 at 12:35 AM.

Love the wheels on the t4

Do you have any mental interior plans for the mk1 given your trade?

Dunno about mental, but it'll be rather nice

Wheels are vito steels banded to 8.5/9 inch.

Already got my donor
    Nice try though

What is this Donk thing all about? Theres a guy in the village says it all the time, I just thought he was a nutter or something

T4 looked good. I'll keep an eye on this

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_T View Post
    What is this Donk thing all about? Theres a guy in the village says it all the time, I just thought he was a nutter or something

http://youtu.be/nC6E3j8ddS8

welcome back rusty!

Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nuts View Post

Already got my donor
    Nice try though
    always worth a go those seat's where built to be donors

Soooooooooo, things didnt go to plan...

there was more rot than planned. I got a friend to do it at a price that made it silly to do myself as i was too busy with work at the time, and im not a fan of chasing rust.

Both corners of the floorpan were shot.

Scuttle replaced.

Both sills were replaced, as were the rear inner and outer arches

The bed was repaired with al's repair plates. In hindsight i'll probably wish i'd got a full bed if i'm honest, but this van will be used, and I can always bang a full one in some time down the line if the desire remains. This was last xmas, it looks like this now

It has sat idle for a year, because I got distracted by the fun in building and running around shows and coastlines in this!

Its based on an old caravan chassis, and the outside is all old pallets chopped and bonded to the edge of sanity. Its cool and I love it.

the only problem is I don't think the 20vt would be a great choice for the caddy if its to be a tow vehicle, if only for fuel consumption if nowt else.

So new plan.

I've aquired and pillaged a mk3 tdi,stripping it to its bare bones. I'll be running the 02J box with hydro clutch and cable linkages, and as much of the mk3s loom as necessary.

Last weekend I raped the mk3 of its glory and this week I made a start on tweaking the loom to go in Wolfsburgs finest

I've also started mocking up a bench seat from scratch, which should be interesting

Hopefully it wont be a year till my next update.
    Last edited by rusty_nuts; 19-10-2015 at 12:16 AM.

Your caravan Rusty,did I see it at Octoberfest if so it caught my eye,very neat work

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    Your caravan Rusty,did I see it at Octoberfest if so it caught my eye,very neat work
    Yep, that'd be me. cheers fella.

Glad to see you back bud.

Quote Originally Posted by regcheeseman View Post
    Glad to see you back bud.
    Its good to be back Reg

I've got to be honest, I think a chunk of the appeal of owning another caddy was cos i missed this forum, there's a good vibe here that's quite rare on online forums. A good mix of humour and genuine brilliant ideas/workmanship, and a distinct lack of ego. Rare, proper ebay barnfind rare.

Looks like the only caravan I would be happy to be stuck behind very neat, Cortina Mk1 lights? Any pic's of the one behind?
    PS is there a name for this type on caravan.

yeah cortina lights, best rear lights ever imo. They are known as teardrop caravans due to their shape, they originated in the states in the 30s and people have been making them ever since.

The one behind mine is a bit special, its the guys sixth build, hes a plumber and has been squirreling away parts for years..

Its got a real steampunk vibe going on. The sides are clad in oak floorboards that someone had put out for firewood, the roof is made from cut up and flattened out boilers, the windows are all stainless dishes from a poundshop clad over recycled caravan plexi, the leatherwork i did for him we salvaged from a beaten up old sofa that cost £10 etc etc

Its got its own oven, and fridge, kingsize bed and it weighs in fully loaded at 440kg, and cost him £600 to build.

Its cool as f**k

Thanks for the pic's,some time has gone into that.

I have most the wiring sussed.

Im bored of wiring now, how anyone does it for a living is beyond me

Still, i'm told it'll be worth it!

Extended all the wiring to the steering column now, decided to run the mk3 stalks to keep things simple (and reliable). Running as much of the loom as I can through conduit to keep things as tidy as i can (ignore the birds nest around the fusebox, im tackling one chunk at a time)

so tonight I mounted the potentiometer and the brake pedal sensors, and rejigged the accelarator pedal to operate that technomolgical speedo voodoo black magic thingymajiggy. Was easier than i expected.

Will be removing the pedal box soon for the hydro conversion so i'll tidy it all for final fit then