Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 200hp + TDI Maxi Life Project

came across 'XMAN' yesterday for the first time, seems to do good at a pretty cheap price!

Debating a bigger turbo on my mk1... when its eventually running right

Quote Originally Posted by curtis1 View Post
    came across 'XMAN' yesterday for the first time, seems to do good at a pretty cheap price!

Debating a bigger turbo on my mk1... when its eventually running right
    Yeah, TBH I could not find a used BMP (PD140 8v) turbo and build it up for anywhere near the same price! And he is much cheaper than others offering a similar thing!

I also have Bobby Singh lined up to map it as he is not a million miles away from me

The ASZ block needs modifying to fit the later Caddys with the BLS engine.

This is because the crankshaft trigger wheel is built into the crankshaft which then has the hall sender in the block.

Later VWs have the crank sensor built into the rear main oil seal, so for this to work a hole needs to be cut into the block

Started off by drilling holes
    IMG_3143.jpg

Then ground it out with a burring tool
    IMG_3147.jpg

Rear main seal / Crank sensor fitted
    IMG_3149.jpg

Just need the special tool and a new seal so I can set it in the correct position

WTF are you modifying blocks for if you bought a donor???
    Alan says: Selling the $hit in the garage pays for new toys

Because its not worth the hassle of wiring in the MK4 gen EDC15 ECU, canbus is not compatable plus other complications,its easier and better to make the MK4 block run on MK5 gen EDC16 management.
    Last edited by Al; 11-09-2015 at 08:58 PM.

Ohhhhhh management swap - gotcha!
    Alan says: Selling the $hit in the garage pays for new toys

I've got engine spares .engines if u end u stuck
    2.0 tdi bkd blb.and later cr engine .sure I've a one off 2.0 tdi turbo ecu wireing etc gt2052v to bolt on a 2.0 .unless ur useing 8v version

Quote Originally Posted by powernut View Post
    I've got engine spares .engines if u end u stuck
    2.0 tdi bkd blb.and later cr engine .sure I've a one off 2.0 tdi turbo ecu wireing etc gt2052v to bolt on a 2.0 .unless ur useing 8v version
    Cheers mate, im using an 8v and keeping it stock looking

Will give you a shout if I need anything

You mentioned using a 2K8 as your daily in another thread, so I wondered.... 'what's a 2K8' and right there in your sig was a link to click,

Jesus christ! pass the eye bleach, and to think you said the delica was special, good job you're only using it to cart dogs around, the local window lickers would refuse.

No offence like.

I had an engine under tray with similar content on an old T4 when a rod snapped due to me using the van as a boat. How did it managed to hole the block when the rod is intact?

Ha 2K8 is a typo

And be nice to her, its not for carting dogs around, we have the T5 for that

Rod or piston are not intact but still run on 3 cylinders with the gaping hole in the block

Its common for engine codes BLS & BKE to throw a rod, VW are in denial, but those later 8v TDi engine were made of chocolate, hense why im using the earlier "AA" 130/150 block which has a larger main and big end bearings and are pretty much bullet proof.

I will let you have a drive of it at Santa Pod just so you will want a PD

surfing the forum when I should be writing reports..... (Aylesbury or Lincoln)
    Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    New toy for the tool collection

IMG_3159.jpg
    ooooh look, it's a.......

what the fuck is it?

Its a rear crankshaft oil seal setting & timing alignment tool

More stuff from the postie, Leather MFSW

IMG_3161.jpg

And yet more stuff arrived from Euros & GSF. I still need to go to VW tomorrow to get some other bits before I can start assembly

IMG_3162.jpg

The tool worked a treat so im happy in the knowledge that the timing is spot on and that I haven't turned the Teflon seal.

To change the seal you are supposed to remove the sump so the sealant can be applied correctly, but im swapping the sump for a better one that I have anyway so will do the sealant when I do that.

IMG_3165.jpg

Note for anyone considering doing this kind of swap; Im also converting to the 6sp 02M gearbox that was mated to the ASZ. But if you are retaining the BLS with 5sp gearbox then you will need to use the BLS sump and associated parts.

The 6sp sandwich plate also needs to be modified slightly to clear the sensor but thats simple enough

IMG_3167.jpg

IMG_3168.jpg

I was hoping to get the flywheel & clutch fitted but Euros sent me solid flywheel bolts, so that halted progress

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    I will let you have a drive of it at Santa Pod just so you will want a PD
    Driven a few through work, and a fair few more on test drives, found them all to be harsh, noisey and lacking in low down stomp. The nicest modern diesel engine I've driven recently is a Ford.

Interesting swap though, changing the management (whatever that might be )

In between work I have been trying to crack on with this. I bolted the engine back in tonight, but heres some stuff I have been doing

The older PD blocks dont have the water outlet on the block like the later ones, so I used the housing from the MK4 so it kept the water pipe neat, but because of this I had to move the boost pipe over slightly and make a new bracket to hold it in position

IMG_3201.jpg

It was also positioned so that the boost pipe does not fail on the new 6sp linkage
    IMG_3213.jpg

Boost pipe would normally sit under the housing
    IMG_3212.jpg

removed the EGR & Cooler, its now much neater behind the block

IMG_3214.jpg

Also the oil filter housings are a different shape where they mate to the block, so again the Mk4 one has to be used, this means the wiring needs adjusting slightly for the oil pressure switch as its on opposite sides

IMG_3206.jpg

IMG_3207.jpg

IMG_3208.jpg

Ready to drop in

IMG_3211.jpg

Thank you for all the info, i just bought a golf V, and after 3 weeks of driving a conrod broke a hole in the BLS engine block, ill try to fit the asz block to my broken bls block, but im gonna leave my stock turbo and other gadgets. Do you think this is a good idea? :-)
    Now its imposible to find a BLS engine cheaper than 1000 euros, so im going to buy the asz one.

Thought I should update this.

I got it running a few weeks back but it was taking some cranking to get it to start and throwing a cam sensor fault code

So I then noticed that the camshaft pulley hub had different pick up points so had to swap it over in situ which was pain considering I had all this off on the bench beforehand

Hub differences, ASZ (EDC15) vs BLS (EDC16). The actual pulleys are identical and share part numbers
    IMG_3366.jpg

The biggest agro doing this in situ is that because the ASZ uses the earlier hydraulic belt tensioner I could not get the engine mount completely out of the way which made me swear a little bit!

Anyway, its now on the button and ready to be MOT'd, then it can be left with Bobby Singh to map it