Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Autobarn Customs!

Autobarn Customs!

In some deep and distant dream, I own my own functioning business making awesome for lots of dolla....

Ha! have you seen my workmaship?!

Recently I got myself, my own (well 98% building society) workshop, which I am most excited about!

It's probably less than 1/4 of the space that I had for free at my dad's farm wreckage, but as far as I can see, this is dry, not rotting or damp, asbestos free and the biggest bonus, less than 1m from where I live (previous was 85 miles)!
    Anyway...

It had some daft partitions when I got it, sort of across the front one (the previous owner was into bikes so didn't need the depth, and the rest was used for storage for an internet business.

The blue lino sort of marks out where the partitions were

So first job was ripping all that out

And now some paint...

That sort of concludes where I am which is not very exiting.... but it's still my own bit of awesome

Not sure where most of my pics went

A very nice space, that garage would be 100K alone down here.

Get some decent floor paint/epoxy down before you fill it up.

ha ha, its good to see that you have bought a new house and the priority is the garage

Didnt know you could still get 98% mortgages in this day and age??

Quote Originally Posted by regcheeseman View Post

We got a good price on the house which is great! House's in the outskirts of Edinburgh are buttons in comparison to what you lot have to contend with down south.

I have a tin of floor paint, that is definitely coming soon, along with some of the left over pallet of 100 strip lights I bough a while back

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    ha ha, its good to see that you have bought a new house and the priority is the garage

Didnt know you could still get 98% mortgages in this day and age??
    Hmmm well we have done a few "in the house" things, but it's all a bit expensive lol

Its not quite a 98% mortgage, but calculating how much we owe/will pay for the next 25 years, I'd be surprised if we even own 2%

Quote Originally Posted by 13 View Post
    Its not quite a 98% mortgage, but calculating how much we owe/will pay for the next 25 years, I'd be surprised if we even own 2%

Dunno what sort of mortgage you have, but a bit of advice that worked well for us... as soon as possible i.e. when you come out of any fixed term and are in a position to re-negotiate; ask to reduce the repayment terms, they don't like to mention you can do that and you'll be amazed how little your monthly payments go up if you knock years off.

When we had no drains on our resources (kids) we managed to smash a 20 year mortgage down to 8 years for about an extra 180 a month, sure, kids came along and we had to push the duration back up to 12 years. But those2-3 years on the higher rate really reduced the debt considerably.

Nice one! I was surprised that even a 10-15% overpayment would knockoff around 5 years!

I have been hoping that we can stow some away to knock a bit off at the end of the fixed term...

Thats good advise, dont buy the cheap shit thats $40 for 20ltrs that peels up when you drive over it , make sure as reg said; get the epoxy 2 part paint

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    Thats good advise, dont buy the cheap shit thats $40 for 20ltrs that peels up when you drive over it , make sure as reg said; get the epoxy 2 part paint
    Hmmm, I painted mine with cheap shit £40 for 20 litres, which I was still gutted about having to spend. However nothing I own drives, so it should be ok

I spent the same sort of money on my floor psunt( from a floor painter guy in Manchester.

I've not had any issues, other than I moved in before giving it a good second coat.

BBB

Found one t'other day over here, a bit bigger than 13's wooden doors, asbestos throughout.
    220k!
    Nuff said!

The best mortgage to get is interest only then over pay it, double if poss, this knocks years off rapidly and maximises equity, plus if you're really smart buy the house in a business name and be a tenant, thus avoiding inheritance tax the legal way, although that might (hopeful) be abolished

Your garage looks ace by the way, although I have a workshop I would love one with the house :P

Quote Originally Posted by hamps View Post
    The best mortgage to get is interest only then over pay it, double if poss, this knocks years off rapidly and maximises equity, plus if you're really smart buy the house in a business name and be a tenant, thus avoiding inheritance tax the legal way, although that might (hopeful) be abolished

Your garage looks ace by the way, although I have a workshop I would love one with the house :P
    Care to explain, that makes no sense to me, surely with an interest only mortgae youll still only pay interest off? I also dont get what inheritance tax has to do with anything

Don't you need to prove you have the funds to pay for the house in interest only?

My pile of rusty scrap wasn't enough lol

'Best' is relative to each person. There's no one mortgage product that works for everyone.

I presume what Hamps means is that your monthlys are as low as possible with interest only and you can choose how much 'extra' you kick into it each month.
    For most the opposite is true in my experience (I'm qualified the sell mortgages by the way!). Most people want to know they are paying off the capital and don't have the discipline to overpay each month.
    Alan says: Selling the $hit in the garage pays for new toys

surfing the forum when I should be writing reports..... (Aylesbury or Lincoln)
    we overpay on our mortgage with Nationwide, an the overpayment directly pays of the capital rather than the interest, so we feel that the overpayment is money well spent. plus with our mortgage, we can have that overpayment money back if we need it (with a corresponding decrease in the amount of the overall capital that we have then paid them), which is nice.

surfing the forum when I should be writing reports..... (Aylesbury or Lincoln)
    this has turned into an upsettingly grown up thread BTW!

Yeah - you're all a bunch of benders

haha, the only car forum where you also get sound mortgage advise

Just need Caddyshack to join the party now!

Quote Originally Posted by Village View Post
    this has turned into an upsettingly grown up thread BTW!
    Kids, pension, grand kids, death duties, etc etc......