Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Project Berg Stormer (mk1 not caddy)

Wow this is amazing will defo be keeping an eye on this!
    What sort of power is she?

currently about 220bhp

Popped over to pick some bits up and see this in the flesh, very nice car and what a set up Amit and Paul have.

Thanks guys nice to meet you both

Quote Originally Posted by rimexboy View Post
    Popped over to pick some bits up and see this in the flesh, very nice car and what a set up Amit and Paul have.

Thanks guys nice to meet you both
    Yeah you too. Sorry I had to leave you with paul. I had kids to deal with.

Update time.

Continuing the improvements on the current car, we decided to tackle the way the fuel lines are routed.

We didnt like that the fuel lines were free floating and secured by cable ties.

So we modified some billet hose separators so they could be panel mounted. Simply be counter sinking the clamp hole

These were then used to secure the fuel lines to the chassis

The next area to tackle was the gear shifter and the shifter tower. The Current shifter was just an OEM O2A shifter and it was a floppy mess with a throw about a mile and a half between gears. Not cutting the mustard in a precision sports car! Also the platform the shifter sits on was a thin folded steel secured by self tappers so more flop there.

So we whipped that off and made a template for a base plate out of poster board. Awesome stuff this for prototyping and pattern making

The transferred the pattern to 5mm Ally sheet and cut it out

We then made a new platform from a folded ally

Added a brace, and then Ally mig welded the lot together for strength. As this is the test bed car, we arent using our best fab skills to make and tig welded skeletal frames, just quick dirty and functional. The clever stuff we will save for car number 2.

The new tower was then fixed to the car using rivnuts around the base of the frame, and the new crown put in place for a test fit

The J turn device was then mounted to the tower We had to spin the master cyclinder upside down to relax the brake lines which were tight and twisted before. A quick google revealed that this should be ok, but may cause problems during bleeding time if air gets in the system. It will be fine for now until we can make some new brake lines.

Next we tackled the hardest part of the build. Installing and setting up the CAE shifter. What a bitch!! the instructions are shocking. The cables and ball sockets are all different lengths meaning about a 100 different combinations on how they can go together. We spent a good couple hours installing them, trying it, adjusting all sorts, scratching our heads, taking them out again and trying a different combo, repeat about 10 times, and we eventually got it all in and working. Sweet!!!

The gear change is now magic except for a little bit of slop in the old worn shift tower in the gearbox. In the next installment, we will be looking at uprating that with some needle bearings and bushes for a super precise gear change.

In the mean time, we have also located a 1979 mk1 rolling shell which will form the basis of the new car. There maybe a few weeks till the next installment while we reconfigure the garage and Paul needs to finish his ex Turbo Technics 300bhp BAM corrado and get it sold to make space on the other side of the garage.

Look forward to your comments.
    Amit

When fitting the CAE shifter, we broke the battery isolator switch, so a prime excuse for a mini upgrade.

New FIA approved switch fitted in the side of the tower for easy reach

Remote release cable fitted

Then it was time to get her looking pretty for stoner park. The front air dam was all stoned chipped so we decided to repaint that. We pulled out the soda blaster and blasted it clean to get a good clean surface to paint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76KRF...ature=youtu.be

All freshly painted

and installed back on the car.

Then it was time for a quick wash before jetting off to stoner park.

Unfortunately, on the way to stoner park, we discovered a couple more jobs that need doing. There appears to be a problem with the clutch cylinders. When in traffic, with the clutch pressed for a long time, the slave cylinder seams to drain back into the resivior releasing the clutch! So looks like a good time to upgrade the clutch release system. New cylinders and lines all round.

Also it gets very HOT in the cabin so need to look at some ventilation.

Time for another update.

So last time we went out in the car, we found a problem with the clutch where if we kept our foot on the pedal, the clutch would slowly engage, even with the pedal pressed.

We started to dig and think we found the issue.

Exactly what you want to find the day before heading to Players show!

A quick scramble round london to find a new slave cylinder and we were back in the game

Next day, we set off nice an early for players. Weathers not looking great, but we think we will be fine.

Boy were we wrong. About 30 mins out, we are hit by an Epic thunder storm. In a car with only 1 wiper and no demister, this is a problem!
    Visibility is down to about 2m. I am now following the tail lights of the car in front at 20mph! I am sure I was over taken by noahs ark at one point.

First thing on the agenda when we get back lol!

The other issue is the car if full of holes. In the floors, in the doors, in the perspex windows. The car is filling up with water fast!

Well we eventually make it to the players show, carrying about a ton of water. Paul looks happy because all his rollies are soaked.

luckily, the sun eventually comes out and it turns out to be a great show. We meet some great people, and the car seems to go down well.

Mean while back home, some more exciting parts turn up for car two, and we sign up some exciting sponsors. Watch this space

Who can guess what this is

Amit
    Last edited by Amit; 12-06-2014 at 03:21 PM.

Looks like the top of an airjack

Can you stop updating this thread please, the picture of the two cars sat together is just too much awesome in one place - it's making me want a mk1 again.

I'm going to copy the picture taken from inside the car in the pouring rain - to remind me of the reality and the misery of mk1 ownership.

Any photos of the w123 and w124? mercs parked behind your cars?

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post

What kind of fancy pants linkage do you have on there? They are a bit slack in my Corrado lol

I also need to swap over my clutch slave and clutch master at some point.... All jobs :
    I love this wee car, berg really suits it
    Last edited by 13; 12-06-2014 at 04:36 PM.

get some rain-x and a PIAA silicone wiper, will be a huge improvement!

Quote Originally Posted by 13 View Post
    What kind of fancy pants linkage do you have on there? They are a bit slack in my Corrado lol

I also need to swap over my clutch slave and clutch master at some point.... All jobs :
    I love this wee car, berg really suits it
    These come with the CAE shifter.

When I get some time, I am planning to mod the shift tower and add some new bushes etc to take the slop out of it.

Amit

Andy yeah will be applying some G4 Nano rain treatment,

And animal was spot on with his guess.

Reg, sorry no pics of the merc but plenty on photobucket

With inters approaching this weekend we have been scrambling to get the car ready.

One thing we decided after the clutch incident was that we wanted to tidy up was that we needed to tidy up the pedal box area. It was functional, but not pretty. As you can see in the pic below, the hole cut in the foot plate was all ragged and the pedal box wasnt quite straight. Also, there was a lot of flex when stamping on the brakes.

So out it came.

While it was on the bench, we properly adjusted the bias bar.
    According to OBP, the clevis pins either side of the pedal, should be a max of 5mm from the pedal body for proper bias adjustment. Ours were around 15mm

Then the clean up started. We started cutting and cleaning

While we were in the foot well area, we decided to remove the old seat cross member and weld in some stronger seat mounts

All cleaned up and seem welded. Later one, I rounded the left hand edge of the cut out with a hammer and dolly to make it nice, but forgot to take a pic

We decided rather bolt the pedal box to the flimsy floor, we should beef up the mount area with some flat bar

but problem. The OBP pedal box is designed to bolt into a mk1 with minimal fab, so the holes are skewed, and we wanted to put the bracing down straight

So we welded a corner on, and a bit of plate above and re positioned the mounting hole

This should be a lot more solid

Next it was time to sort out the seat rails. We welded some pate to the sills to strengthen them and then added some nice thick walled box

followed by a quick coat of epoxy and then some matt black

The pedals were then plumbed back in with nice looped pig tails. mmm much neater

We also fitted the bias adjuster onto the dash which wasnt previously fitted

With the functional side sorted, it was time to turn our attention to the cosmetics. We decided it was time to change the livery and repair some of the damage on around the body.

more on that post inters

Will be interesting to see if anyone spots the car with the new livery

Tidy. Feels good doing stuff more "properly" doesn't it

oh yes.. although I feel I havent been able to exploit my OCD to its full potential yet.

For example.. the kinks in the braided hose are killing me!

Can wait to get cracking on the new car, but so many little boring jobs to get out the the way!

So the story continues.

With GTi International fast approaching it was time to focus on the cosmetics.

First up was body repair. Being a track car, there were lots of small areas of localised damage.

There was a small crack on one of the wheel arches

to repair, I drilled a small 3mm hole at the very tip of the crack. This stops the crack growing under stress, I also V'd out the crack from both sides using a dremel, then used some mole grips to re align the fiber glass and hold it in place.

I then mixed up some P40 filler and applied it to both sides of the crack. Once set, I removed the mole grips and did the same to the area previously covered. At this point, I am about 20 mins into the repair. Nice and quick

After its dry, its your basic prep for paint, sand, skim of filler, a squirt of primer, then paint and you are left with this

While the paint was out, we decided to give the car a gorilla paint job. We gave the rear quarter a going over to covers some scratches, and also the drivers door and bonnet.

The beauty of matt black paint is, you dont need to struggle with blending and lacquering. Just feather into the old paint and let it dry for an invisible finish

Next up, we needed to tackle air con as it gets damn hot in the car on sunny days.

we drilled out the perspex windows

and installed some popout helicopter vents

after our experience at the players show, we decided it was worth taking some wet weather precautions too so we made a litte rain shield for the ecu

Then finally came the moment I had been waiting patiently for all week!!

a parcel arrived from Syco Graphix with the all new livery.

The night before Inters, we started applying the stickers. We were up till 1am but I hope you will agree, it was worth it.

and here is the finished result

And seemed to go down well at inters. Lots of positive comments

Also thanks to Si Gray for taking some awesome pics of my car

Hope you all like the progress to date. I would love to hear your thoughts on the graphics too. They are probably a bit marmite.

Cheers
    Amit

That looks the dogs bollocks

Very nice.

What kind of scissor lift do you have Amit?

In the market

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    For example.. the kinks in the braided hose are killing me!
    I bet! lol

Quote Originally Posted by 13 View Post
    Very nice.

What kind of scissor lift do you have Amit?

In the market

I bet! lol
    I have a clarke version of this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOBILE-SCI...item4183951ad6

pretty good for under engine work, but pain for under body work as it blocks most of the under side..

I normally use it to lift the car onto high axel stands