Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Thread: mk1 sport to v6 24v

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.F View Post
    thats for a mk3 vr I have the mk4 24v vr plus the point of putting the mk5 sump on is to help with ground clearance
    12v & 24v sumps are the same fitment. But you will also need the corresponding pickup pipe.

if a metal sump hits it will dent, if you plate it up it will just scrape. But if an alloy sump just so much as glances the road its game over!

Mine will have a metal sump plated over, and I am also going to run a sump guard! In the 20 odd thousand miles I did in it I only ever scraped the sump a couple of times (never fatally), im only beefing up this time around as I will be running it about an inch lower than before.

ah now that makes sense. i assumed as the shape was different they where different.
    so i can swap out to a steel one and just plate it.
    which pick up do you use with the metal sump?

I feel sure you'd just use a 12V VR6 pickup, probably still avaliable from VW direct (or many eBay outlets)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.F View Post
    ah now that makes sense. i assumed as the shape was different they where different.
    so i can swap out to a steel one and just plate it.
    which pick up do you use with the metal sump?
    yes VR 12v pickup. The only difference is where the lower part of the gearbox meets the sump, but if you are using a VR6 gearbox then it doesnt bolt up to the alloy sump anyway

after a little bit of research I will invest in the mk5 one as its lower than the mk4 which in turn is lower than the mk3. but I would be interested in one of your guards Al.

out of interest how many mm difference is there in it?

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by fuus View Post
    out of interest how many mm difference is there in it?

Cheers!
    If its anything like the difference on the 4 cylinders it will be negligible! The real difference is around 6/7mm, the only benefit is the bottom part being steel

I need a steel bottomed one for the v5
    Life is just a game we play!!

My build http://www.vwcaddy.com/showthread.ph...er-cover-caddy

Quote Originally Posted by tontoe View Post
    I need a steel bottomed one for the v5
    Joe.... v5?? Is this the new project, please enlighten us

Dunno prices for the others but the mk5 pickup pipe is steep. £200+ from dealer and not much cheaper elswhere if i remember rightly, if your running the mk5 sump that is.

its an expensive mod for sure. but think its worth it as i don’t want the engine to be the limiting factor when I air out etc.