Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: mk1 sport to v6 24v

mk1 sport to v6 24v

right thought I set this thread up now because there'll be loads of questions along the way..
    bit of a story to it but seams some things are ment to be...
    still sourcing some parts
    confirmation on radiator? corrado vr6 with slimline fans... or will any corrado 8v 16v rad do? will I be able to use any exsisting hoses im happy to buy samco type if needed...
    got a vr box im assuming I can still use my 4 motion cables for the vr box?
    what make of clutches do people recommend for such a conversion its not going turbo? ....would uprating be nessesary ?
    want to make sure I have all most if not all parts ready before the swap ...

also where can I buy a Bentley manual for said engine?

any good build links referring to this conversion ? seen worthings etc but any on the 24v? doesn't seem covered much anywhere..

Quote Originally Posted by MadDub View Post
    right thought I set this thread up now because there'll be loads of questions along the way..
    bit of a story to it but seams some things are ment to be...
    still sourcing some parts
    confirmation on radiator? corrado vr6 with slimline fans... or will any corrado 8v 16v rad do? will I be able to use any exsisting hoses im happy to buy samco type if needed...
    got a vr box im assuming I can still use my 4 motion cables for the vr box?
    what make of clutches do people recommend for such a conversion its not going turbo? ....would uprating be nessesary ?
    want to make sure I have all most if not all parts ready before the swap ...

I use a Corrado vr6 radiator in mine with twin slim line fans and it fits and works great, you could probably get away with something smaller but VW built the engine and cooled it with that size rad so why change them if you don't need to.

I don't think you can use all of the standard coolant hoses but some will work.

A standard Sachs 4 motion clutch should be ok on a standard engine, but does the 12v VR box go on a 24v engine?

Not sure on gear selector cables but I don't think so as the v6 4 mo box is 6speed and a VR is 5.

Powernut dis his 4wd caddy which was v6 24v turbo powered. (Few pages in changed from 12v vr6)
    http://www.vwcaddy.com/showthread.ph...V6+4motion+4wd

I've done a 12v vr6 4wd conversion
    http://www.vwcaddy.com/showthread.ph...V6+4motion+4wd

Other than that I'm not sure of many more conversions.

I've been tempted to go r32 power or 24v v6 but a vr6 engine is much much cheaper and thinking I will stick with that for now.

cheers slim
    yes apparently the 5 speed gearbox is the simplest way to go...totally forgot about it previously being six speed...
    i

slim did you need to notch your chassis leg to clear? for engine..

No I never notched my chassis leg but its close.

Be interesting to see a 24v v6 done, good look oh and take plenty of pics.

who makes custom braided brake hoses?

thinking I should source corrado/golf shifter and cables for the vr box then if anybody has these?? unless there is a better option?

Quote Originally Posted by MadDub View Post
    who makes custom braided brake hoses?
    has anyone had any experience with custom HEL lines?

Well obviously I'm not going to get any fees back till some proper spannering is shown.. all in good time .. Wireing gods Will I have to run the 4 mo clocks? As like to keep mk1 if poss?

No need for the mk4 clocks. The ecu no longer needs them and with a VR6 gearbox you can use a mk2 golf or corrado speedo cable to drive the mk1 clocks. =)

i have a spare vr6 gearbox here if you want it??
    1st gear is noisy but other than that it's good. Perfect for mocking things up
    Alan says: Selling the $hit in the garage pays for new toys

Heard good things about the HEL lines from people so should be all good

You can go vr6 shifter and cables, or you could make one using the 4mo shifter housing and a vr6 one, the 6 speed housing is meant to fit inside the cab and the centre console fit over it (allowing you to bolt it from the top rather then from underneath)

As for the chassis leg, i was advised to notch it slightly, but if Slims got his VR6 in without doing it, you could try it i guess mate

You will need to notch the chassis and you will also have to cut off the o/f MK1 mount.

Corrado VR6 rad is the only suitable oem radiator.

MK4 6sp linkages wont work with the 5sp 02A (not without some work and imagination), if you want to use a MK4 gen shift box then you will need an 02J linkage & shift tower.

I will have a converter soon, to re-adapt the 6sp 02M 4WD gearbox back to 2WD buy removal of the transfer box (This is why I need a VR6 flywheel & clutch so I can finalise it). Once sorted I will be converting my VRT to 6sp

Std VR6 clutch will be man enough (plenty of high power 20vt's are using them as is my VRT at the moment. A Sachs VR6 clutch would be a good bet though.

Goodridge will make whatever brake lines you want

As monkey said you dont need the clocks, but if you want a rev counter you will need a 5v signal convertor, and if you decide on a 6sp you will need and electronic speedo as well (not a problem for me as I have MK3 clocks, but all Mk1s were anologue).

Decide on your gearbox (as this will determin the mounts) and then the rest will fall into place

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    You will need to notch the chassis and you will also have to cut off the o/f MK1 mount.

Corrado VR6 rad is the only suitable oem radiator.

MK4 6sp linkages wont work with the 5sp 02A (not without some work and imagination), if you want to use a MK4 gen shift box then you will need an 02J linkage & shift tower.

I will have a converter soon, to re-adapt the 6sp 02M 4WD gearbox back to 2WD buy removal of the transfer box (This is why I need a VR6 flywheel & clutch so I can finalise it). Once sorted I will be converting my VRT to 6sp

Std VR6 clutch will be man enough (plenty of high power 20vt's are using them as is my VRT at the moment. A Sachs VR6 clutch would be a good bet though.

Goodridge will make whatever brake lines you want

As monkey said you dont need the clocks, but if you want a rev counter you will need a 5v signal convertor, and if you decide on a 6sp you will need and electronic speedo as well (not a problem for me as I have MK3 clocks, but all Mk1s were anologue).

Decide on your gearbox (as this will determin the mounts) and then the rest will fall into place
    Then you'll also be able to sell the drive shafts making it a bolt on affair, excellent

Awsome guys cheers I've got a vr box so that's the route ill be taking thanks for the offer Jim .
    They'll be loads of questions as it goes but trying to get most parts prior

Quote Originally Posted by dub-ha8 View Post
    Then you'll also be able to sell the drive shafts making it a bolt on affair, excellent
    That's the plan

Will also have the 02M/Q gearbox shaft strengtheners for big HP engines

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    That's the plan

Will also have the 02M/Q gearbox shaft strengtheners for big HP engines
    Let me know when the strengthen is in or contact Numb Nuts direct

Quote Originally Posted by dub-ha8 View Post
    Let me know when the strengthen is in or contact Numb Nuts direct
    Will do, he is now a friend on facey aches

[QUOTE=DubMonkey;689496]No need for the mk4 clocks. The ecu no longer needs them and with a VR6 gearbox you can use a mk2 golf or corrado speedo cable to drive the mk1 clocks. =)

Does it matter what model mk2 as I found a different price for 8 and 16v speedo cables?