Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: My Neighbours Love Me Project Mk1

Cool My Neighbours Love Me Project Mk1

righty ho folks, seeing as i sold my caddy to help fund my deposit for my house ive been lost with what to do with all that time around my 60+ working weeks

ive missed the joy of a mk1 vw, but seeing as im skint, it was going to be another project, this time on my driveway

i had my eyes open for a mk1 that didnt require years worth of welding ect, and on my measly budget, hard work

i then found just the one for me off a local lad

its a 82 golf c 1100 rasper

pretty much a bare shell

trail fit of some wheels i have lying around

i then started a refurb on the turbines as the weather went crap, so when one was all sprayed up, tried on the front with a pattern wing

Last edited by crezz; 05-06-2012 at 09:10 AM.
    ........_______l__\___
    .......[_@_______@_/
    Crezzy's Turd Wagon!

i soon relized that i was going to do more than i really wanted to, and mr cheeseman didnt help my cause so the next thing i knew, i had the engine out ghetto styley with a trolley jack and carpet

so will be soon starting cleaning the bay

next up was to get the wings in primer, never had alot of luck with paint from a gun, but always had good results out of a can, time to sort that

so whilst im at it, wet flattened the primer back and gave a coat of colour

was a bit too excited and over done the wet coat

and thats it for now
    ........_______l__\___
    .......[_@_______@_/
    Crezzy's Turd Wagon!

hehe - That's my favourite trick too - Getting overexcited, blowing a load and getting dribbles everywhere

slowly tying to stop doing it! last panels I did weren't too bad

Love the colour & rims

it was more the 'ive mixed it, dont want to waste it', shame i didnt have anything else i could have flashed over with, wasnt really that well organized
    ........_______l__\___
    .......[_@_______@_/
    Crezzy's Turd Wagon!

yep - exactly

Quote Originally Posted by 13 View Post
    hehe - That's my favourite trick too - Getting overexcited, blowing a load and getting dribbles everywhere

keep up the good work, nice colour too

Thanks mate, didn't want a mk1 the same colour as all the others, hence my caddy was turf brown!

More updates as and when they happen,
    ........_______l__\___
    .......[_@_______@_/
    Crezzy's Turd Wagon!

If you lay masking tape either side of the run you can use a sharp blade to scrape the worst of the run off. The masking tape stops you digging into the surrounding paint. Once you have it near flat you can wet sand it level.

cheers for another tip

well seeing as its misserable out there today, i cant really do alot, and i havent got alot of indoor space, i set about prepping the tailgat for paint, in fairness its pretty damn straight, and no rot. so far ive wet sanded it back with a block and 600 grit, will these be enough of a key for a colour coat? there seems no need to prime the whole tailgate?

id obviously spray inside first, then once dry, and do the out side, unless i can rig up some form of hanging device, but its asking for trouble :P

cheers
    ........_______l__\___
    .......[_@_______@_/
    Crezzy's Turd Wagon!

started tidying the bay today, first off was to get rid of that rain tray, had a bit of rot so thought why not.

got as far as the wiper mech bracket, what do peopledo here? the bracket seems to be partially fixed to the metal that being removed?

........_______l__\___
    .......[_@_______@_/
    Crezzy's Turd Wagon!

From memory when i removed mine, there are 2 spot welds on each side of the bracket that fix it down. There covered over with seam sealer but once you've found them its just a case of drilling them out and taking the bracket off. Access is easier once the rest of the rain panel has been removed

perfect, what did you do with the tabs that will no longer be attached?
    ........_______l__\___
    .......[_@_______@_/
    Crezzy's Turd Wagon!

right, seeing as ive got a long deserved day off from work, i decided to tackle that wing with the runs, a blocked it back, but went to far in a few areas that didnt have enough paint coverage, so at that point i knew i would have to repaint it,

so i set about flatting all the wing back for another coat of paint, wet flatted, dried, tack ragged off, mixed paint, adjust gun and pressure, sorted,

well kind of, got a really good finish from the gun, the best yet,

but the same area that had the runs last time has gone the same way again. i can see that its reacting with something, i thinking this may not of helped first time around.

so looks like im going to have to take it right the way back and start again! what do you guys think is causing the reaction?

any how, while the gun was out, i painted inside the tailgate, woud of liked to of hung it up and done inside and out at the same time but couldnt, will have to mask it up.

........_______l__\___
    .......[_@_______@_/
    Crezzy's Turd Wagon!

If by reacting you mean there is bubbles in the runs it's not reacting it's just there's too much paint there, and that's the solvent in the paint after its dried, I think you should try to ease off with the coats, don't try and put too much on at once lol .
    What sort of hardener are you using? You can ask for some air dry specific hardener at the paint shop, that would be best, also, if it's cold, leave out your 10% thinners and see how you get on

Also clean the panel thoroughly with panel wipe and a tack rag before painting,I can see in the wing there's a mark to the left of the pic where you've not quite gotten the dirt off, that's why there is a funny pattern

Also before you colour coat, give it a guide coat of black out of a tin, just haze over it not properly paint it, this way when you rub down the primer you will see the areas that need more flat ting easily and avoid orange peel

get some bar coat it stops reactions it save alot of time and it cheap to and give it light even coats

Also clean the panel thoroughly with panel wipe and a tack rag before painting,I can see in the wing there's a mark to the left of the pic where you've not quite gotten the dirt off, that's why there is a funny pattern
    this is the area i am talking about, it didnt take to there what so ever, the paint dropped off, i had used tack rag but no panel wipe. The rest of the wing is fine, so i cant see it being a to heavy coat as it would of done it all over?
    ........_______l__\___
    .......[_@_______@_/
    Crezzy's Turd Wagon!

Could be like silicon, its just pushes the paint away from the contamination. Panel wipe it off to get any silicon or wax or s**t like that off. A good panel wipe is a must have :P

yeah im guessing its silicon too, that is deffo what it done, ive got to get some panel wipe, cheesman? got any?

cheers chaps
    ........_______l__\___
    .......[_@_______@_/
    Crezzy's Turd Wagon!