Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Im confused ...alh engine?

Im confused ...alh engine?

Right i was told for to do my tdi conversion..that alh would be a good engine by alecks as thats what his van has so i have read..(correct me if im wrong alecks).. and that i should get hold of one from a mk3 golf..

now im being told that the alh is from a mk4

im wicked confused

MK3 golf is only AAZ IY and 1Z

see here

for a rough idea

he may have meant MK3 caddy?

playing the triangle in a reggae band.... and ting
    i was just suggesting one of those because they should be pretty cheap to buy being the base power tdi engine.... and still as tuneable as anything..... until you have to do battle with (possibly) shoddy turbo reconditioners....

alh is the standerd tdi engine in the mk2 caddys lad. if u want one find a hit mk2 tdi caddy and change every thing over itll b all bolts and screws, but if i were you id go for the mk3 golf azz, no real wiring needed and easys tuneable at less cost.
    the gov mod and boost pin and a few differant things can be moded and it turns them into lil rockets

@ paddycaddy yea i knew the alh were in the mk2 caddy..

@ 13 thanks for that link..how did you put the link in the word like that lol?

i'll be getting the mk3 golf to do the conversion..and i was told and i seen the mk3 golf has the same set up as the m2 caddy/inca engine mounts drive shafts etc? tom 9's project

@ mlbv yea i understand.. iv yet to find out the engine code for the golf im hopen to get.. i take the 1z is the better engine than the aaz as iv currently the 1y hence the conversion.

correct me of im wrong.. as the saying goes.. if its a lie im telling ya.. its a lie i was told.

@ reg his words "ALH is a Mk4 engine" so that got me confused hence the title lol.

and also another chap came back annd said "1Z, AHU, AFN, ALE

I think there might have been a few others but those are the ones I know of. The USA only got 1Z and AHU TDI engines. I'm not too sure if many if any 1Z Mk3 Jettas landed in the USA. We didn't get the TDI or TD Golf in the USA. Canada got the TD (azz)golf & jetta. I confirmed my list against a russian VW parts program and those are all the mk3 TDI engines"

sound all
    Last edited by dieseljon; 04-03-2011 at 05:26 PM.

I run an ALH in my van, i personally would avoid the ALH engine if i had the choice, i would go for the earlier style TDI motor that does not run a variable nozzle turbo. Less bother and less to go wrong, same power, more common too. The ALH is a commonly used engine in the mk4 Golf in states too, if you enter freds tdi site they all run em, knowledgable group too.

If its for a Caddy van, then buy a doner that has the same chassis; ie.

• Caddy Van
    • Ibiza
    • Cordoba
    • Inca
    • Polo Classic
    • And estate versions of above

i take a mk3 golfs out of the question then.

i was a suggested to use a mk3 golf or a mk2 caddy but i couldnt find a tdi caddy cheap enough.. but i found the mk3 golf..an seen that tom9 used one for his conversion..so i assumed it would be ok as i was also told they have the same chassis and engine mounts etc and it would fit straight into my mk2 inca?

i was excited about getting the mk3 golf tdi but now that it hasnt been mentioned on the list above not anymore..

can this be cleared up so i wont waste my money on the wrong car and i can keep looking
    Last edited by dieseljon; 04-03-2011 at 09:45 PM.

A MK3 tdi will fit, but you will have to mess around with wiring loom lenths etc. And you will need a DBW pedal from one of the above if yours doesnt have it.

Ibiza/Cordoba's are cheap and most have black trim and electric packs which can be swapped straight in. And as the chassis is identical, all the wiring is plug n play

nice sound... few questions to ask ya al?

but you will have to mess around with wiring loom lenths
    in what way.. the golf i hope to be getting is a 5 door?

And you will need a DBW pedal from one of the above if yours doesnt have it.
    Whats a DBW pedal?

will the loom for the golf be ok to use.. or will i have to get one from a tdi caddy van or seat tdi?

what do you recommend i should do?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    very very cheap but way out of my reach lol

Quote Originally Posted by dieseljon View Post
    nice sound... few questions to ask ya al?

in what way.. the golf i hope to be getting is a 5 door?

Whats a DBW pedal?

will the loom for the golf be ok to use.. or will i have to get one from a tdi caddy van or seat tdi?

what do you recommend i should do?

thanks
    The caddy and mk3 golf have different bulkheads and different dash layouts, so you will have to lenthen wires in some areas and shorten them in others. make no difference to whether its a 3 or 5 dr

DBW = Drive By Wire

You can use parts of the golf loom but be prepared to disect it, and if your not confident around wiring the it can get awry very quickly.

Personally I would use a vehicle with the same chassis, as the lighting loom in the engine bay is joined to the engine loom and seperating them isnt much fun. I have used MK3 engine bay looms in Caddy vans before, it can be done, and the lighting wiring can be modified too.

An ibiza represents much better value in the long run as you get the black dash, door cards, centre console, black carpet, leccy windows, leccy door mirrors and Air Con if get a lucky find.

thanks a million Al.. now must see if i can sourse a seat tdi..whats the engine ? code wise also? if not hope to get the golf.

tell me will the mk2 tdi caddy loom work with the mk3 golf?.. and im not the best with wires lol..aint my strong point but i'll be taking it very handy

apart from the above

would a 1997 Seat Toledo 1.9 SXE TDI ok ..would the engine mounts and chassis be the same or different?

The Toledo engine will fit, just the same as the MK3 Golf with the same issues.

TBH, if you not confident and not familier with the different engine/chassis's then go for one of the cars I listed above as its a nut and bolt swap

a seat alhambra ?

^^^ no you will still have the wiring issue, another thing with using a golf engine is you will need driveshafts from a polo/ibiza as the tdi has 100mm flanges and the sd has 90mm and they are not interchangable, you will also need to use the hydro clutch and cable change mechanism.

i was lucky when the gearbox went on my sdi as i already had a hydro clutch (ayq) so just got a tdi box and swapped it in

your best bet is do as al says and buy a complete car with the same chassis and it will all just change straight over or do as i did and buy a tdi caddy

playing the triangle in a reggae band.... and ting
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbiniho View Post
    ^^^ no you will still have the wiring issue, another thing with using a golf engine is you will need driveshafts from a polo/ibiza as the tdi has 100mm flanges and the sd has 90mm and they are not interchangable, you will also need to use the hydro clutch and cable change mechanism.

i was lucky when the gearbox went on my sdi as i already had a hydro clutch (ayq) so just got a tdi box and swapped it in

your best bet is do as al says and buy a complete car with the same chassis and it will all just change straight over or do as i did and buy a tdi caddy
    tdi box is much longer ratios it will have made your van very sluggish and use more fuel.... the sdi box ratios are more like petrol ones...