Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Caddy from Lower 48

Caddy from Lower 48

Hi everyone on the Caddy Forum. I have viewing this forum for a few years and have a post for your consideration.
    Attached Images Attached Images

thats very nice bud loving the 2 tone
    vw caddy 16v
    bora tdi
    lt35 recovery

Welcome..... very nice machine you have there. Would love to see some more pictures of the roof chop or some roof chop in progress pictures if you have them.

Steve

Very nice! I was going to do a similar 2-tone.

The tonneau cover is cool, too

That is a smart bita kit - welcome aboard

Thanx to all for the welcome! In reply to Steve, I regret to say I took very few pictures. However I have two for what that's worth. The first thing I did was cut open the rocker panels and weld back 3 layers of metal to reinforce them before the top cut. Then I replaced the windshield frame with one from a Cabby and made the top from the first section of the Cabby top. Here's one do to big file size. Thanx, g60jim

Check out the thread. I added a picture and I will try to add another of the building process. These files are very large but I think it will load. I'm new at this. g60jim

I'm glad you like the 2 tone. I was a teen in the 60's and so I wanted to make my truck to look like it was customized in the 60's. I may french in a set of 59 Cadillac tail lights this winter to really make it llok like a 60's custom. Jim

Just spied this after your post in the other thead! Very interesting roof mods!

I had a Cabby and loved it, but I loved my Caddy more so I decided if I had a topless Caddy it would be the best of both worlds. So the birth of a Cabdy I guess. g60jim

i think it is brilliant the fact that you have done it yourself, i would not know where to start, good job, like the two tone

Thanx for the compliment, but in all honesty I drew plans and figured out how I was going to build it but when I started everything changed! But it was an interesting journey and I'm glad I did it. g60jim

lolaz28 Guest
    any more info on the removable top?
    is it a cut up cabby one?
    great job....Love the truck!

Rooster

Thanx for the nice feedback! Yes the top is the first section of the Cabby top, shortened. I made a sheet metal frame on both sides and the back and a wood slate frame in the middle. I than covered it with 1/8 plywood, Bondo and than vinyl. Looking back I wish I had left it as a soft top because it would have been easier to lift off. If I had been thinking I would have taken lots of pictures! When the weather breaks I will take some close ups. g60jim

Some had ask for more pictures and I remembered I had some on a CD that were taken a couple of years back. The first was my collection. It's true Rabbits multiply! I also realized that I had not shown the tail gate. It is hand formed out of aluminum with no filler. Thanx for your consideration, g60jim

Quote Originally Posted by g60jim View Post
    I'm glad you like the 2 tone. I was a teen in the 60's and so I wanted to make my truck to look like it was customized in the 60's. I may french in a set of 59 Cadillac tail lights this winter to really make it llok like a 60's custom. Jim
    Crap! I'm already doing this!
    Next you are gonna be doing double frenched in aerials too!!

Oh and nice truck!
    and nice work!
    SWM seeks AAZ for LTR...

Show me your 59 Caddy lights! I don't think I will get my done this winter for I have too much Honey DO work. Come on you guys, show me what you have built or are building. I want to see them. I'm hooked on this forum. g60jim
    Last edited by g60jim; 16-03-2011 at 11:43 AM.

I've shown you my toys. Please show me what your working on! g60jim

As I said, I didn't get my 59 Cadillac tail lights done last winter, but I did this spring, so the update. What do you think? g60jim

Is anyone in the SE Ohio, USA interested in a set of well used Ricaros and an original VW Rabbit dash. Pick up only!!! I'm doing a bench seat and custom fabricated dash, so I no longer have a need. Price Free!