Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Al's MK1 VR6 Turbo (Back in the game!)

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. [][]

http://www.vwcaddyforum.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2397

quote: I HATE DRUGS!!!!
    Im with you on that one, BUT what do you do when you get a headache LOL

ANYWAY..... If anyone is interested[] I started fabricating the steel to accept the subframe today, hopefully it should all be secure by the end of the week[^] Then I can think about something else[]

That looks 10 times better than that Motor mount kit. I beleive this is how it should be done also seeing as you're going to bolt in the Subframe just like the A2.
    1980 Rabbit PU LX
    1983 Jetta Coupe
    1990 Corrado G-60
    1992 Corrado SLC

all i gotta say, good luck.

http://www.vwcaddyforum.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2397

I look at changing the servo over to the drivers side (Right Side). To get rid of the horrable linkage. But found the servo hit the strut turret and you would need to move the brake pedal push rod over. A firm called Autocavan used to sell a Twist beam as a upgrade but they got taken over by GSF car parts and they stoped the line. But most F*rds still use a Twist beam system so could be a future mod.

Toby
    T49.net
    Caddy 2.7T
    Corrado G60
    VW Trike
    Audi A8

Whats next?... nuclear powered caddy
    VW Caddy Sport '91

www.icedesignuk.com

Toby, funny you mention the Ford thing as I mentioned this to Kev (VR6Caddy) when he was doing an MOT the other day, its a much better design, French manufacturers also use this kind of design aswell.

Anyway, as i am fitting the MK3 dash and steel crossmember that goes with it, I will probably be using the MK3 pedal box as well, if I can squeeze it in[] Also I have the bulkhead/firewall from the VR6 as well so I may weld some of this in along with part of the tunnel so that the downpipe will fit (goes between s/frame & tunnel). But back to the servo (was leading up to it), if i am to mount it, it will be flush against the bulkhead, this will require removal of part of the inner wheel arch, which should be fairly easy to fabricate concidering everything else thats being done[].

quote:That looks 10 times better than that Motor mount kit. I beleive this is how it should be done also seeing as you're going to bolt in the Subframe just like the A2.
    Hey fwdvw, I will let you know soon

quote:Whats next?... nuclear powered caddy
    mmm...NOW theres an idea[] Does anyone know anything about quantum physics[?]

Im sure i could my dad to get hold of some fuel rods...
    VW Caddy Sport '91

www.icedesignuk.com

C'mon Al, I'm holding my breath to see how you do this!!!!
    (not that you haven't got a few other tasks on your plate)
    2010 Volvo V50
    2004 Volvo S60
    2004 GMC Canyon
    1972 Greavette Sunflash IV (18')
    1965 Formula Jr. (17')

Not touched it since pics[], once the rear subframe its complete I will need to turn my attention to the steering column anyway, that means fitting the mk3 dash crossmember aswell

I will let you know soon as

Sorry Dave but my local BP garage only sell's Petrol & Diesel, so the nuclear swap will have to wait So VR6 it is then

Well the subfame is in (finished today)[^], I just have to make 2 small mounting points around the anti-rollbar area.

Also today I fitted the front suspension and wheels. etc and lowered it to the ground for the first time as an A3[]

Before I fabricated the mounts I fitted this threaded bar so that my measurements could be accurately done and also it held it secure in the desired position:

Part of the passenger side subframe mounting

1st time on the ground (4x4 anyone)

More VERY soon (weather permitting[][V])
    Last edited by Al; 27-09-2018 at 10:31 PM.

this is making me dizzy []
    dci

Looks good! Do you plan on running fender flares, or are you going to run "special" wheels? Will you space out the rears to match (fat drop plate)? It should be HOT when it's done
    Isaac

'81 green diesel
    '82 tan parts

quote:Looks good! Do you plan on running fender flares, or are you going to run "special" wheels? Will you space out the rears to match (fat drop plate)? It should be HOT when it's done
    I have a "Sport" body kit to go on later[] I will be using OEM 1997 VR6 Golf wheels (Corrado wheels in pic), so no "special" wheels. I will worry about the "track" when its all in and sorted out the camber and ride height etc. If I have to loose the "plus" setup I will.

The rear looks worse because the std wheels only have 155/13's, we will have to see later whats occuring there

Dropped the engine in today, just for a rain check[]

I will need to reduce the height of the drivers side mount (right) as the engine is sitting slightly high (as they do in MK2 swaps)
    Last edited by Al; 27-09-2018 at 10:31 PM.

Don't cut the mount, clearance the hood. When the mount is cut it puts the driveshaft at a slightly funny angle and the car feels noticably "wierd" and there's some more torque steer. Mine's back to stock height in my Mk2 and it's much better.

Either way, awesome work! Do you have any more pics of the pads you made for the back of the subframe or the area where the front of the subframe hits the chassis? I'm kind of torn between doing the full subframe conversion and just welding in the Mk3 mount cups out back.

Also, did you have any trouble with the Mk3 struts or did you use Mk1 struts?
    -Paul
    92 GTI VR6 2.9L
    82 BunnyTruck VR6? Nah.
    dubsquad:eastside

The engine mount will have to be reduced as the bonnet will not shut unfortunatly, the A2 chassis onwards is taller as well as wider, It has the VR6 struts with the Caddy top mounts, at the moment due to the height difference I had to cut a coil and a half off the spring to get it down a bit (still not low enough) until coilovers are found.

I didnt take any other pics of the chassis pads before I welded them on, I will take some more pics of them installed as soon as I can

The MAIN reason for the using the whole subfame was for the power steering, a problem you guys in the States dont have, you could look at a halfway house by fitting a the part of the subframe that includes the engine mounts and rack, this way you could use the late A2> bearing housing/knuckles so that the 280mm brakes will fit without the use of spacers, I was going to go down this route myself and im still not sure which way would have been best[?][?][?] Also with this part of the subframe welded in would make an excellent natural lower brace[^]

Al

Remember you can always prop the back of the hood up as well for more clearance. You even get to look tough that way. You'd be better off lowering the subframe a bit through some shimstock then just cutting the one. You DO have that option you know!

Luckily we do have the Scirocco/Cabby power setups here. I'm suprised there were no RHD Cabbies with the PS.. those would be easy to find.

Yeah I'm just going to use late Scirocco knuckles with some brake adapters to fit the 11" discs and some 2pot Audi calipers (once I find some!). I was also going to run the Eurospec Sport/Overland 5lug conversion hubs with the G60 discs drilled for 5x100 so I can dig into my 5x100 wheel stash. Funny I have the same BBS's that'll probably end up on my truck as well.

I'll tell you the subframe will sure be easier if you ever have to take the motor out! I might even make my whole front removable like a Mk2 to make it all super easy. Can't be that hard, right? Haha.
    -Paul
    92 GTI VR6 2.9L
    82 BunnyTruck VR6? Nah.
    dubsquad:eastside

Has anyone one tried a VR6 in the front, VR6 in the back. I've seen it done in a Golf. Probably easier in a caddy?
    VW Caddy Sport '91

www.icedesignuk.com

Turned my attention to the dash, well the column and pedal box to be exact, the steel dash crossmember has to be cut down to fit in the Caddy so I have now done this and welded mounting points to a kick panel/"A" post area. Anyone thinking of fitting the MK3 dash, make sure you get the steel crossmember as the steering column has to sit on this as the OEM column mount will have to be cut out of the truck for clearence for the clocks/gauges, also the dash lower half bolts to this with several 8mm bolts.

Next I will look at the pedal box as I plan to use the MK3 one with some mods to this and the bulkhead/firewall[]

I will post pics soon, my batteries were on charge whilst doing this[]

Al