Page 1 of 50 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Al's MK1 VR6 Turbo (Back in the game!)

Al's MK1 VR6 Turbo (Back in the game!)

I decided to go for the MK3 dash after all as the original had seen better days, I will be installing the dash along with the VR6 install so it will take some time as concentration will be else where just for now, but this is how far I am up until now:

In this pic you can see just how long the MK3 dash is, it is approx 8cm longer than the Caddy OEM dash

The dash has been cut along the screen edge using the old dash edge as a template, the venting for the windscreen will also have to be re-fabricated to go around the bulkhead/firewall, it is now all cut and sitting in nicely (not secured yet)

As I said before the dash is to long for the Caddy so it had to be cut down, it will be rejoined later, fortunatly the speaker & vent will cover 90% of the cut, you will see how it progress's later

Just in case you think I have contracted "Mad Cows", just look what was in the truck before[xx(]

More to come sooooon[^]

sweetness, thanx for this topic admin, i've been wondering alot about the mk3 dash.

Ha! Taht's the same dash that is going into my truck project(the one admin just took out). But, then again, my truck is 7 or so years older. That A3 dash is sweet though!

Garry
    The Truckdoza Lives!!!

Al's MK1 VR6 Turbo (Back in the game!)

Other notable threads relating to this vehicle

MK3 pedal box, servo & steering column install

MK3 Dash Install

Intank Fuel Pump Install

Bodywork

Golf+ Magazine Photoshoot

I have decided to use the whole MK3 VR6 subframe to mount the engine and rack etc. In doing so I have had to cut away a lot of the Caddy chassis to make it work, I will be fabricating mounts on the chassis to accept the above.

This is what I have achieved so far:

This is what I started off with, most of you guys will be familier with this

This is what i have got left after I got "CUTTER" happy[]

The parts I cut out

The subframe loosley offered up for the first time (say hello[])

More soon.....
    Last edited by Al; 27-09-2018 at 09:28 PM.

Good luck. That looks like a good way to go. Make sure you've nice welds and have it on straight.
    Isaac

'81 green diesel
    '82 tan parts

very good admin. you never sease to amaze.

Good work! Thats the way to do it.

What Hubs are you going to use? Should give you better handling as the VR has a wider track.

What my green ones been through

For pic check
    http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/...c=ph%26.view=t

Toby
    T49.net
    Caddy 2.7T
    Corrado G60
    VW Trike
    Audi A8

T49.net
    Caddy 2.7T
    Corrado G60
    VW Trike
    Audi A8

Thanks for the support guys[^]

Diesel I hope I get it on straight aswell[] The plan is to have the subframe "boltable", with the 6 bolts just as it would on the MK3 VR, which will give me a small ammount of movement for fine tuning

Mossrite I havnt sorted it yet it may go horribly wrong[][]

Tobes At the moment I plan to use the whole VR setup with the "plus" suspension, BUT the track may be to wide for the arches[V] so I may have to use std MK2/3 wishbones etc. We will see when its lowered to the ground for the first time[] I will take a look at your pics in a second, if you want any pics of your Caddy hosted mail them to me.

Cheers

Al

It takes cajones to cut a truck up like that...

Garry
    The Truckdoza Lives!!!

So, are you going to be going 5-lug all the way 'round[?][^] If so, how do you plan to switch the rear over? I imagine there's an easy enough way to do it, but I just don't know[] Keep us posted. Looks like it's going to be sweet[]
    Isaac

'81 green diesel
    '82 tan parts

5 stud/lug is the plan, along with the ABS[], on a US Caddy the stub axle will bolt straight up the same as a 4 lug []

BUT the UK Caddy has a six bolt configuration which doesnt line up at all[V], the plan is to re-tap the end of the axle and use the 4 bolt s as on the Golf, OR see whether or not another VAG vehicle has the 6 bolt config with discs

what Abs system are you thinking about using? I looked into that on my 20V as the ABS sensor holes are all ready in all the Hubs. But after some hard braking found I strugled to lock any wheels so gave up with the Idea. My plan was to use a Mk3 golf abs system becasue the loom seems to be standalone so it an easy after mod. You just have to supply power, Earth, Brake light and Alternator feeds to the ABS unit.

Toby
    T49.net
    Caddy 2.7T
    Corrado G60
    VW Trike
    Audi A8

Toby, i will be using everything off of a 97 Golf VR6 that I stripped earlier this year, Including the whole loom (OBD2 transponder type), dash, mfa, heated leather[] etc. etc. The only thing that will be left of the Caddy is the shell and back axle

Im not using the ABS because I think it will need it, its mainly because its all there, also with your Caddy you got more weight in the back so that will help the rear end from locking[] If it gets to a stage where I feel it will take to long to install, I will scrap the idea I am looking into moving the servo over to the drivers side as well but some fab will have to be done there as well[]

You are mad!
    VW Caddy Sport '91

www.icedesignuk.com

So was he,,,BUT ive got bigger Gonads LOL

so true. guess whats in that pipe he's tokin?

http://www.vwcaddyforum.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2397

Probably "sum erb" from the Caribean

I HATE DRUGS!!!!

Garry
    The Truckdoza Lives!!!