Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51
Results 1,001 to 1,013 of 1013

Thread: Al's MK1 VR6 Turbo (Back in the game!)

Nick-Nack I'm not really sure what you're on about....

Without lowering blocks there is plenty of suspension travel to play with on the back of the pickup with the axle flipped

As for the shortened axle, surely wider tyres = more grip? Happy to be schooled on this one

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-Nack View Post
    l

it'd just be nice if people knew what these are capable of with some mods, instead of slamming them on the ground bouncing everywhere.
    My VR6 turbo is not for bouncing around in

Love this Al, look forward to seeing the finished product

Quote Originally Posted by fuus View Post
    Nick-Nack I'm not really sure what you're on about....

Without lowering blocks there is plenty of suspension travel to play with on the back of the pickup with the axle flipped

As for the shortened axle, surely wider tyres = more grip? Happy to be schooled on this one
    with axle flip comes the need for shorter shocks, thus lowering suspension travel by a lot.

As for shortened axle, yes, it will be more grip, but with fwd sometimes it's something you don't want, and the track will be shortened so the back end could just wash out on you, that's why supercars are 2m wide for best stability

the only benefit to this is for grip going in a straight line, but then it's fwd so it won't really do much, i'll show you what these trucks are capable of when mine is going

with axle flip comes the need for shorter shocks, thus lowering suspension travel by a lot.
    so you're going to have yours raised up like a trophy truck so you can have meter long shocks?

supercars are 2m wide for best stability
    The track is going to be identical if you use suitable wide wheels. You wouldn't shorten the axle and not run wider wheels

grip going in a straight line
    I'm sure if you can make your caddy similarly to a modern GTI or similar I'm sure everyone will be interested in your work

so you're going to have yours raised up like a trophy truck so you can have meter long shocks?

The track is going to be identical if you use suitable wide wheels. You wouldn't shorten the axle and not run wider wheels

I'm sure if you can make your caddy similarly to a modern GTI or similar I'm sure everyone will be interested in your work
    standard axle, sport springs with extended axle plates and drop plates so 20mm wider, now that i think about it, i'll be dropping the caddy about 4.5" maybe slightly too much, or just perfect.

Anyhow, with a few mods it should handle pretty damn good with some sticky tyres.

i'll show you what these trucks are capable of when mine is going
    Will you really, What you got planned?

Most forum members will be running standard springs with an axle flip giving circa 100mm / 4 inches of lowering. I.e. less lowering than yours

That being said you get the benefit of the stiffer(?) sport springs

Keep us updated with what you try

Most forum members will be running standard springs with an axle flip giving circa 100mm / 4 inches of lowering. I.e. less lowering than yours

That being said you get the benefit of the stiffer(?) sport springs

Keep us updated with what you try
    i did make my shackles adjustable to raise it up slightly, or i could make more drop plates with much less drop, hopefully the gaz dampers i got give me the adjust-ability i want.

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    Will you really, What you got planned?
    track days, building a friends integra race car, will see if i can stick with him on track (probably not engine only 160hp max)

The travel is no different to standard shocks. Just because the shock body is longer in design, doesnt mean it has more travel! And the rear leaf springs have the same travel whether they are on top of and axle or below it. The only reason a Caddy axle sits under the leaf springs is the same reason as all commercial vehicles and that is increases weight carrying capacity. If you look at any car manufactured (ie. not a van or pickup) they all have the axle located on top of the leaf springs because it lowers the centre of gravity which improves road holding

And you cannot compare the track of a supercar with a Caddy. The basic rules are that a narrower track at the front promotes under steer due to diagonal weight transfer, that's why FWD cars always have a wider track on the front (keep moving the front wheels closer together and you get the tricycle effect which scrubs the tyres outer edges). On the other hand a supercar has a mid mounted engine which promotes over steer so a wider track at the rear helps with that as it will have much less diagonal weight transfer. Also steering geometry and anti-roll bars have an effect which are used to tune the suspension by the design engineers

Used sport springs will be knackered. They are 30 years old nearly....anyway I know nothing. More pictures al please...!

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    The travel is no different to standard shocks. Just because the shock body is longer in design, doesnt mean it has more travel! And the rear leaf springs have the same travel whether they are on top of and axle or below it. The only reason a Caddy axle sits under the leaf springs is the same reason as all commercial vehicles and that is increases weight carrying capacity. If you look at any car manufactured (ie. not a van or pickup) they all have the axle located on top of the leaf springs because it lowers the centre of gravity which improves road holding

And you cannot compare the track of a supercar with a Caddy. The basic rules are that a narrower track at the front promotes under steer due to diagonal weight transfer, that's why FWD cars always have a wider track on the front (keep moving the front wheels closer together and you get the tricycle effect which scrubs the tyres outer edges). On the other hand a supercar has a mid mounted engine which promotes over steer so a wider track at the rear helps with that as it will have much less diagonal weight transfer. Also steering geometry and anti-roll bars have an effect which are used to tune the suspension by the design engineers
    i was just talking out my ass, waiting for someone to correct me, nobody talks about handling so it's one way to get started.

If it doesnt handle how i want it, its fairly easy to build or buy from you a new axle thats flipped, either using sport or standard leafsprings, also heard you can change the degree of the mounting point to use standard shocks? not sure what affect that will have.
    I am planning to run wider tyres on front than rear to make up for the droplates on the back, i essentially want the backend to be soft and kind of skittish to act as rear wheel steering, to a degree, probably not possible with the limited adjustability though.

Will you ever make rear anti roll bars again? i'm too lazy to figure out how to use a mk1 golf one

Thanks al, sorry for hijacking your thread.