Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caddy towing capacity

Caddy towing capacity

I was wondering what the ALLOWED towing capacity is for a caddy in your countries? I have heard various figures from 750 to 1200 kilos.

i dont know if we have an "allowed" towing capacity in the uk...

could be wrong tho!!

I know the official US load limit for the bed was 1100 lbs. Don't know about the towing capacity. Although my dad did put 1850 lbs of cast iron in the back once. Rode the bumpstops the whole way but she got there.

Garry

In France :

2 diferents : a lower capacity an mine :

On road : 1000 KG
    With bits in the bed 1610 KG
    When towing 2410 KG

Sorry, i don't know the converssion between lbs & KG (kilogrames)

i kno this is an old thred but does any one kno the towing limit for a mk2 caddy van? or will i find it stamped or on a stiker any where on the van?
    thanks
    seb

playing the triangle in a reggae band.... and ting
    i don't know the figures, but there is a certain limit for 'un-braked' trailers... anything over this (whatever it is) has to have its own braking system... as far as i know, thats the only limit... but there may be an upper limit before you get classed as an HGV....

it depends on your license what year you took your test ,it will say on your license , hgv2 is a different kettle of fish all together

im not towing im geting an old person to do that. but im thinking all vans and truks have a limit to how mutch thay can carry and im shur that have a limit on how mutch that can towe or pull.
    and yes it will be on a breaked trallor im geting my van to pull the mk1 pickup it will be a roalling shell by then so will of shed quite a bit of waght. and im only mooving it 6 miles on slow roads. but trying to do it leaguly or my mum woant towe

its because i have no power where i work so i have to move it so i can do my cutting and welding
    seb
    Last edited by seb stewart; 26-02-2009 at 10:50 PM.

i reckon caddy on a traler would be just under the legal weight for un braked towing...

ah, the maximum towing weight for the vehicle is on the chassis plate (i suppose that means vin plate) under the bonnet..... check that!!

or you could use a dolly (i think its called) where you strap the front wheels in like a spec on tow trucks, and the rear wheels are still on the ground....

Quote Originally Posted by My Little Brother's Van View Post
    ah, the maximum towing weight for the vehicle is on the chassis plate (i suppose that means vin plate) under the bonnet..... check that!!
    ye thats the one i want! i havent actualy looked for it yet its just an idear. as iv seen a cheep traler near me whitch needs a bit of tlc.
    this towing mularky is a bit of a min filde its all about your licene what your car can do and what the traler can do i like the fact my dad can drive a 7 tone truck on his. its un fair
    seb

Quote Originally Posted by My Little Brother's Van View Post
    or you could use a dolly (i think its called) where you strap the front wheels in like a spec on tow trucks, and the rear wheels are still on the ground....
    i think thers some thing about the car your towing needing tax or mot with that one
    seb

no, i don't think you do.... as far as i know, you only need all wheels of the ground if the vehicle has a pg9 (prohibition notice) issued by the police... otherwise, when they tow untaxed vehicles for haveing no tax, they would be breaking the law!!!

well, thats the way i see it anyway!!

officer dibble should know about that though....

wel have to wait till he comes online!

On the Mk1 its 800kg max towing capacity with a 50kg maximum nose weight
    On the Mk2 (Van), its 1100kg max towing capacity with a 50kg maximum nose weight.
    On the Mk3, its 1650kg max towing capacity with an 80kg maximum nose weight.

A Frames:
    An A frame constitutes an unbraked trailer so must not exceed 750kg however just to complicate things further, the deciding factor in whether a trailer needs to be braked or not is dependant on its Gross weight not unladen weight. Therefore to legally tow anything on an A Frame, the Gross weight of the vehicle being towed needs to be less than 750kg. Furthermore, the towed vehicle needs to be taxed and tested as all 4 wheels are on the ground.

Dollys:
    The same applies here as with A Frames with the exception of the need to be taxed and tested due to one set of wheels being off the ground. Even with a braked dolly, you cant exceed 750kg as every wheel which makes contact with the road has to be braked. To get even more complicated, a dolly with a car in place is considered as 2 trailers which under regulation 83 of the Road Vehicles (construction & Use) Regulations 1986 (SI.1986/1078 ) means that you can't exceed 40mph on motorways and dual carriageways and 20mph elsewhere.

This is the law as it stands, now I know people will say "yes but I've been doing it for 200 years and never had a problem", whilst this is true and it does get over looked, VOSA are continually cracking down on offenders and will occasionally specifically target dollies, A Frames and trailers. The result of being pulled into a checkpoint is that in addition to a fine you will also not be allowed to continue and will have to call a transport (not recovery as different rules apply) company to come and fetch the towed vehicle.
    One other point to consider is that in the event of an accident where you're running over specified weights you are liable to be open to prosecution and or liable action from the other party.

Thats the law, its not a grey area, its just been overlooked in the past.
    Last edited by Rich_T; 27-02-2009 at 09:49 AM.

So you need something big to tow with and a braked trailer that allows all four wheels of the towed vehicle to be off the ground

This was probably taking the piss then!

It was a bare rolling shell at that point so not a heavy curb weight

Monkey
    Last edited by DubMonkey; 27-02-2009 at 09:45 AM.
    Alan says: Selling the $hit in the garage pays for new toys

Quote Originally Posted by Dub_Monkey View Post
    So you need something big to tow with and a braked trailer that allows all four wheels of the towed vehicle to be off the ground

Monkey
    Yep, one other thing to note is that you cant always assume that the biggest unbraked trailer you can tow is 750kg as some vehicles are plated for less, Im not sure what it is on the Mk2 Caddy but Ive just checked the handbook on my Mk1 and the maximum unbraked trailer weight is 400kg.

Rich

Monkey,
    IIRC the 3 series have a masive towing capacity for their size, somewhere aound 1700 or 1800kg. So with that one it would be fine, the trailer would be about 750kg empty which leaves about a ton to play with.
    Don't quote me on these figures, its just from memory.

Rich