Page 62 of 64 FirstFirst ... 12 52 60 61 62 63 64 LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 1276

Thread: Passion but no ideas project.

Its a bonito (small species of tuna) catching loads this year...also shitloads of bluefin 30 or 40 all in a feeding frenzy round us Monday just like you see on wildlife programmes the punters couldn't believe it,its mental how much the wildlife is changing in the "Channel"loads of bluefin being caught not that we are allowed to land or bring them aboard the boat....lets not get into that one we both concur on the insane rules put upon us by our european masters.....

Prepping the front panel,super etch applied,filling ,sanding,sanding and sanding

IMG_3529.jpg

IMG_3541.jpg

looking good mate, keep up the good work

Engine nearly ready for dyno

IMG_3595.jpg

Bay nearly ready for paint

IMG_3561.jpg

Slam panel in Raptor

IMG_3625.jpg

Thought we would do inside aswell

IMG_3623.jpg

Picked up the gear linkage parts from the chromers and also the wheel hubs for the series 1, and then pressed new bearings in

IMG_3626.jpg

IMG_3627.jpg

How cool do they look? Really cool is my thought.
    I know the finished result is not quite the same, but did you consider having any parts powder coated in the chrome equivalent? I had my wheels done in it and it came out more like polished steel, although not to the bright extent of your polishing skills.
    I don't know enough about durability and cost to have an opinion , I am interested in yours though.

I have had stuff powder-coated locally and its probably cheaper for me to have the parts chromed,by doing the polishing myself it doesn't have to go to the Plymouth depot for polishing I just drop it at Launceston and they whip it through,I picked up those parts Tuesday and dropped another lot off and I had a call this morning saying it was all done,its not US quality but for what I pay its just fine,I have tried to keep everything either chromed or polished stainless or alloy...Have to admit a lot of stuff on the caddy is showing signs of wear but when you use it down here its never going to last that long,when you see the caddys turning up at shows on a trailer then you know what you have to do to keep it perfect,but thats never going to happen with mine :roll eyes:

I hear you. Personally, I'd prefer your experience over a trailered caddy as I would never enjoy it if it had to be kept, effectively, in a bubble.
    Are you doing another show again in spring? I think you did one at the NEC or something last spring.

I havent applied for UDs this year dont think it will be good enough ,just be happy to have it back on the road,thats really about the only show I get to as Im busy through the summer,the problem these days seem that to get into any show you have to apply months in advance,and they are very clicky,better if they had automatic entry for vehicles of a certain age...I dont mind looking at modded modern cars but most go to see the older ones....the best experience I have had was the Worthersee trip 3000 miles with a group of caddy,s was brilliant,after all its built to drive

One step forward two steps back so Lee popped down to lay on the primer and promptly pointed out more prep needed...fuck it !

IMG_3646.jpg

Re-routed the brakelines

IMG_3648.jpg

IMG_3652.jpg

And hopefully finished prep

IMG_3655.jpg

Making sure the brakelines dont foul inside was a pain but hopefully it will all coble together

IMG_3654.jpg

Well I think its ready,but probably not !....no more pics till the paints been laid on !

IMG_3667.jpg

IMG_3668.jpg

IMG_3670.jpg

IMG_3672.jpg

It's going to look so cool. I'll never produce anything to that standard but it's a joy for me to see. Well done dude. I'm looking forward to the next instalment.

That makes my fingers feel sore just looking at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    I have had stuff powder-coated locally and its probably cheaper for me to have the parts chromed,by doing the polishing myself it doesn't have to go to the Plymouth depot for polishing I just drop it at Launceston and they whip it through,I picked up those parts Tuesday and dropped another lot off and I had a call this morning saying it was all done,its not US quality but for what I pay its just fine,I have tried to keep everything either chromed or polished stainless or alloy...Have to admit a lot of stuff on the caddy is showing signs of wear but when you use it down here its never going to last that long,when you see the caddys turning up at shows on a trailer then you know what you have to do to keep it perfect,but thats never going to happen with mine :roll eyes:
    Who do you use Dave, I need some plating done and some powder coating - the last people I used were shit, took months and left thin patches in the powder coat.

Are you going to paint it a decent colour this time?

Quote Originally Posted by regcheeseman View Post
    Who do you use Dave, I need some plating done and some powder coating - the last people I used were shit, took months and left thin patches in the powder coat.

Are you going to paint it a decent colour this time?
    I use SMB for the plating,they have a unit in Plymouth where the polishing is done,think they do anodising there as well,the unit in Launceston does the plating so thats where I take it direct saves time,to be fair I think the chroming has improved since I first started using them,mind you it maybe that my prep has got better....For the powder coating I have been using LMF they are at Dobwalls mainly because I know the owner,another case of its only 10 minutes up the road so its handy and relatively quick...

Same colour,its taking long enough for Lee to do that,had a look yesterday and told me the 320 isn't a good enough finish so got to pick up some 500 today when I get in from sea ?

Im afraid you will have to slaver over Als caddy for your favourite colour. :roll eyes:

As for the sore fingers,not far off the truth,make a good burglar at the moment
    Last edited by Fisherman; 27-12-2018 at 05:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    I use SMB for the plating,they have a unit in Plymouth where the polishing is done,think they do anodising there as well,the unit in Launceston does the plating so thats where I take it direct saves time,to be fair I think the chroming has improved since I first started using them,mind you it maybe that my prep has got better....For the powder coating I have been using LMF they are at Dobwalls mainly because I know the owner,another case of its only 10 minutes up the road so its handy and relatively quick...
    Cheers Mr Bond.

I've got bags of fasteners from a resto job - Ideally I'd like to be able to send them somewhere that they will;

a - not mix them up
    b - not loose them

Would you trust them?

I don't want chrome - it's not for bathroom fittings but I do want black passivate zinc which not everywhere does.

Quote Originally Posted by regcheeseman View Post
    Cheers Mr Bond.

I've got bags of fasteners from a resto job - Ideally I'd like to be able to send them somewhere that they will;

a - not mix them up
    b - not loose them

Would you trust them?

I don't want chrome - it's not for bathroom fittings but I do want black passivate zinc which not everywhere does.
    Give Ken at the Plymouth depot a ring he can let you know what services the do,they have never lost anything of mine,very efficient.

Engine all done just need to get the bay painted.

IMG_3678.jpg

Progress today

IMG_3702.jpg

Funny doesn't look like several £s worth of difference

IMG_3704.jpg

IMG_3705.jpg