Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Engine FAQ Suggestion thread

Quote Originally Posted by kev new View Post
    Thanx monkey,

I have been looking and cant find any info......surely somebody has done this conversion....basically i want to put everything in G/box, loom dash ect...am an ex mech and my brother is ex VW/Audi mech so no probs there

very good site by the way
    I can't recall any build threads on here for this engine conversion, VR6 and G60 yes 1.8T no. PSI tuning have done an S3 engine'd mk2 caddy van and Jimmy on ere built the first 1.8t van that I know of which is still lurking in a certain members stash somewhere!
    Alan says: Selling the $hit in the garage pays for new toys

Tom9 is doing a 1.8T conversion on his mk2 Van at the mo
    Mk1 '91 1.6 GTD build so far...

domcurmi Guest
    i got a 1.9 diesel in need to put a turbo in wot best been told got to mess about with all the wiring and get a esu thing and nothing will swap straight over,i am a welder /fab so that part of the jobs ok ,my engine making loads of smoke and noisy ,can you stop them smoking its only done 130000 miles on a wplate 2000

hi
    i am relatively new to the caddy forum - can someone point me in the right direction for full info bout a golf GTI 8v 1.8 conversion on a MK1 because its proving difficult to find links. I would basically be getting rid of the pertol GTI engine and putting in a 1.6d back in it cos im only 17 - insurance is sky high
    would i need to be changing engine mounts, drive shafts, radiators, wiring looms etc or is it a kind of "universal fit" ???

thnks

Going from petrol to diesel shouldnt be too hard - Have you read andypickups guide? I'd imagine you'll get all teh bits from a 1.6NA pretty cheap as most of them have been dumped in favour of TD.

You'll need the drivers engine mount from a 1.6D. You could use the petrol one if you really wanted.

Drive shafts will work with which ever box you have. I'm not sure which box you'll be using but the existing box will mount as is.

Would need to see which rad you have - but it can probaly be recycled.

The loom I think will be you biggest PITA but most of it will probably be transferable in some way e.g. temp senders etc. The 1.6 D really doesnt have a lot of electrical connections!

Exhaust may be a pain, but again you should be able to get something 1.6 d ish off here.

Also you'll need a fuel filter.

this link was on another forum, might be useful to someone:

http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tableifc.htm

table of injector sizes etc
    Mk1 '91 1.6 GTD build so far...

How do I put a 1.6, 12mm head on a 11mm Block?

How do I put a 1.6 Diesel, 12mm head on a 11mm Block?

This is the psi tuning 1.8t caddy van! I bought it 6 months ago and still induces a huge grin every drive!!!! 280bhp
    Attached Images Attached Images

Some questions on my mind that I'm seeking answers to:

1 - How much of an increase in power will a race header give over a stock exhaust manifold?

2 - Changing from NA diesel to Turbo diesel - what is the horse power increase? What is the mpg increase?

3 - Rebuilding the fuel pump - is it really worth it in power and fuel savings to send it to Canada for a rebuild?

so i have a mk1 86, with a dead 1.6d, knocking like a mofo! im pretty new to the whole caddy thing, but had a few golfs, i want to put in a bigger lump....i understand the simplicity of an mechanical swap, but the wiring issue scares me a little....:S

so how would a ecu controlled engine work in a 86 caddy, wiring wise...mk3 golf tdi engine?

playing the triangle in a reggae band.... and ting
    it won't....

you would need to take the loom and ecu from the donor too....

(its not april 1st is it??)

told you i was new lol, so would splice the new loom from the donor to the caddys fuse box? etc

you possibly could get the original fuse box to work, however, its probably easier to swap it....

as you are new, its probably worth mentioning the search button at the top, and that this thread is just for ideas for frequently asked questions, and not actually a place to ask them....

have a search for things like ahu or 1z and i am sure plenty of threads will pop up... (ahu and 1z are the earlier tdi's)

Quote Originally Posted by My Little Brother's Van View Post
    you possibly could get the original fuse box to work, however, its probably easier to swap it....
    Not for a diesel. A fusebox swap isn't required unless you want to run a different dash as well
    Alan says: Selling the $hit in the garage pays for new toys

ok dude cheers :*

cool Cheers DM

ah, well there you go.... i was assuming there would have been differences on a much later one... but hey as the old saying goes, never assume, it makes you look a twat... or something

Is the 1Z engines mechanical pump? Are these same as a AAZ and easy to get in mk1 caddy complete novice

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkey1934 View Post
    Is the 1Z engines mechanical pump? Are these same as a AAZ and easy to get in mk1 caddy complete novice
    No, the TDi runs via ECU. the swap has been done by a few now, includes taking the ECU and loom and splicing the caddy original bits in.
    Other option is to mod the pump bracket and run it off a Land Rover 300TDi mechanical fuel pump. Also needs the fuel output ports changing over to VW ones, and a MK4 2-piece pump pulley
    not a straight fit either, the 02A box needs different mounts as available from the caddy shop

Quote Originally Posted by 43655 View Post
    No, the TDi runs via ECU. the swap has been done by a few now, includes taking the ECU and loom and splicing the caddy original bits in.
    Other option is to mod the pump bracket and run it off a Land Rover 300TDi mechanical fuel pump. Also needs the fuel output ports changing over to VW ones, and a MK4 2-piece pump pulley
    not a straight fit either, the 02A box needs different mounts as available from the caddy shop
    Thank you is there any hows to?s out there?