Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Engine FAQ Suggestion thread

Q: where can i find an engine number (On block & on Docs) :

Easiest way is to look at the V5 log book - though that assumes that the engine is factory/the log book is correct.

[/QUOTE]

The more difficult but reliable way is to look at the block:

Quote Originally Posted by regcheeseman View Post
    On the block, below sparkplug 3 - normally rusty and unreadable

like so..
    (This is Reg's Post)

Quote Originally Posted by caddytdi View Post
    1st pic is off a 1.8 t engine

2nd is a 1.9 td block this is the one you need

it mite be in a bit of a bad way so try to use degreaser then lite scraper should be able to read first 3 letters
    (Caddy TDI's Post)
    Last edited by 13; 10-11-2009 at 09:56 AM.

Q: Which diesel engines fit FAQ

Diesel ones!
    Alan says: Selling the $hit in the garage pays for new toys

Which Diesel Engines Fit?

A. Similar to the petrol post, with enough time/money/passion/skill/luck?/determination anything can be made to fit.

Most diesel engines 1.6/1.6TD/1.9/1.9TD from Mk1 / Mk2 / Mk3 Golfs will bolt in using the right Mk1 Golf mounts and require no modification to get them physically into your truck.
    This also applies to diesel engines from most VAG cars from similar design eras. eg Passats, Jettas, Audi 80s, SEATs
    To check specifics regarding fitting your engine try searching on the engine code. See what is an engine code FAQ. {link to Diesel Swap FAQ}

To keep it simple most pre 1994 engines will be the simpler to fit as they have a mechanical fuel pump which makes the install much easier. Later diesel engines use different mounts and also more complex electronic diesel injection – which although brings advantages will be more difficult to fit.

Was gonna mention mk2 pickups then noticed it was for frequently asked questions.

Quote Originally Posted by rolo View Post
    Was gonna mention mk2 pickups then noticed it was for frequently asked questions.
    lol there will be a mk2 pickup section as well

Heres one for the mk2 van TDI owners-
    1. Why does it feel like my turbo has stops working and has lost power?
    2. How can you improve the power of the TDI?

Good investment for any engine drop!

http://www.lasertools.co.uk/item.aspx?cat=278&item=1530

what gearboxes mate up to the 1.8 turbo lump?

I would like to know where on my engine i can see how big it is and what "engine code" it has (EM, HN, EW, JH and so on)

Quote Originally Posted by Solstice View Post
    I would like to know where on my engine i can see how big it is and what "engine code" it has (EM, HN, EW, JH and so on)
    Normally on the back of the block is a "1.9" etc in big old letters

Q. How do I convert to a DMTL Weber

Benefits
    The 1600 petrol caddy came with a pierburg 2E2 carb as standard fit. These carbs are great if they run properly but the big problem is they are very complicated with a whole host of vacuum pipes and a auto choke system which has a mind of its own. Parts are expensive hence the conversion to the weber. The weber will give you better fuel ecomomy, better cold starting , better idle and better performance so all in all a good up grade.

Where can I get one
    Plenty of options here. Check Ebay as there is always someone selling one, forum for sale sections are a good place to look too. You might get lucky and find one on a golf in a scrap yard. BUT ..... by far the best thing to do is buy new. Companys like Fast Road Cars http://www.fastroadcars.co.uk/shop/i...iewDoc&docId=1
    do a kit with all the parts you need, instructions on how to do the job and after sales advise if you need it. Kits cost £240 which is pricey but if you consider the performance improvement alone its a good investment.

Easy to fit ?
    Infact yes very easy. If you've got a kit just follow the inclosed instructions step by step. If you've not got the instructions here they are http://www.zen17496.zen.co.uk/downloads/webber.pdf
    You'll notice at the bottom of this document jetting information for fitting the DMTL to either a 1600 or 1800. If you need new jets once again Fast Road Cars can help you out. When you remove the 2E2 make 100% sure the base gasket..... the rubber section between the manifold and the carb is in good condition. These can be bought from GSF is needed. As the Weber is manual choke you'll need to fit and route the choke cable into the cab, some kits come complete with a cable others don't but they are available at most motor factors.

Pictures
    Here's a few pictures

This is a DMTL fitted with a KN filter

and the weber fitted to a 1600 engine

manifold without the weber but showing the base gasket and the 'hedgehog' intake heater.

Fuelling
    The weber is quite happy to run on the original block mounted fuel pump fitted to 1600/1800 engines. If fitting to a DX or EV block (originally injection)
    a low pressure electric pump will need to be fitted as these blocks don't allow fitment of a mechanical pump ( seperate Section Monkey ????)

Tips
    The weber has a vacuum connection at the rear. Its a good idea to run your distributor advance from this port. WHY read here. http://www.racetep.com/webfuelspark.html#webspark
    Remember to reconnect the earth lead which runs between the base gasket and the rocker cover.
    You'll note that you need to swap a small heater from your 2E2 to the weber. If this is defective once again GSF do them.

steve

Quote Originally Posted by 13ad13oy View Post
    Normally on the back of the block is a "1.9" etc in big old letters
    yes mine is 1.8 but my papers say 1.6HN

where can i find the lettering on the block?

are there 1.6 diesel (GTD if it makes any difference) timing/cam belt instructions anywhere? have had a search but couldnt find much
    Mk1 '91 1.6 GTD build so far...

Beezy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella2 View Post
    Heres one for the mk2 van TDI owners-

2. How can you improve the power of the TDI?
    Interest in this one, and how much in cost

kev new Guest

AUQ engine question

Hi there am a newbie and would like to know if the AUQ 20vt can fit in to a mk 2 caddy van?

thanks

Kev

Hi Kev

Yes it can be done, don't think there's any build threads on here for that swap tho. The van is much the same as a mk3 golf at the front so the engine will mount in the same way.

Monkey

kev new Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dub_Monkey View Post
    Hi Kev

Yes it can be done, don't think there's any build threads on here for that swap tho. The van is much the same as a mk3 golf at the front so the engine will mount in the same way.

Monkey
    Thanx monkey,

I have been looking and cant find any info......surely somebody has done this conversion....basically i want to put everything in G/box, loom dash ect...am an ex mech and my brother is ex VW/Audi mech so no probs there

very good site by the way

Why is putting a mk4 gold tdi engine so hard to fit in a caddy?

Quote Originally Posted by bigpkr View Post
    Why is putting a mk4 gold tdi engine so hard to fit in a caddy?
    Which caddy??

Wiring headache - OK for those that understand it nightmare if you don't!