Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jersey caddy..

bit of an update for the past few days.. RE-sanded the engine bay as i'd left it so long, then etch primed the bare metal..

Tonight a few holes have been put in the bulkhead for the clutch cylinder and mk4 gear cables.. So nearly completely prepped engine for 2 pack primer and paintwork. Few little bits that need improvement but looking good..! Pics to follow in next few days..
    Still need to buy mounts and a new cam belt and vr6 clutch kit for the 20v motor.. Then thats it...!! Will get the motor done while engine bay being painted (not by me...!) then will get the motor in, keen to see it bolted in.. Then i can get on with the remaining bodywork..

a few pics of my etch primed engine bay...

The gear cables for 02J and master cylinder install not shown on the pics but are done..!

update for the weekend, bought engine and gearbox mounts, cam belt on way, 16v tensioner already bought.. just need a VR6 flywheel now to complete my engine parts list...

ECU to be ordered after christmas... Need to package up my old loom to send to qpeng...

Need urethane wishbone bushes and coilovers still if anyone can help...?

Looking good mate, keep up the good work. My parents live near the airport in jersey and her old neighbour had a mk1 cad in gun metal with a 20v out of a corrado i think. Was pretty tidy. Think the guy who owned it was a fire man and was into his bikes too.
    Dubba Dub

The one near the airport was a G60, a friend of mine..

caddy now sold on and engine in a mk2 golf i think...

Thanks for the comments though..

This project should go into fast forward after the new year with bodywork.. and wheels.. and of course installation of the motor...!

Good stuff andy, have you got your engine mount yet ? If so where from ??

Al sells bushes in the caddy shop

AJH 20vt 88 CADDY -------- KR 16V 83 JETTA (SOON TO BE AN ACE 2LTR 16V

I bought a full kit, engine mount, gearbox top mount and rear diff housing mount from Vagobonds on the vwgolfmk1.org.uk forum.. (new bushes installed already) SIMPLES!

Update..

RIght, bodywork has slowed while searching for obsolete panels to graft in.. bulkhead being replaced and panel on way from Dirtbikedave thanks mate, still need the front bed section but its a start at least..

I have done a lot of mechanical related bits and bobs..

Cam belt, oil pump, water pump, splash tray, tensioner stud fabricated with nice shank in the middle so relieved thats all done....

I had to replace the sump as the old one was cracked so while degreasing one bought from ebay I decided to paint it to match the engine.. So its been resprayed black...

The windscreen surround has been cut out in 3 places repairing some crappy metal the previous owner put in.. 2nd pick is the previous owners attempt, ok but not so great to look at underneath, the 1st and 3rd pics are the newly repaired sections.

So thats been repaired and won't rust through again..

Heres the horror bulkhead hack again by previous owner..

And lastly some pics of the engine pretty much done, just need to bolt the sump back on then change the flywheel and put on my vr6 clutch..

I am going to paint the gearbox silver and the accessory bracket that holds the alternator so it should look contrasting, simple and clean..

Will probably colour code the rocker cover at some point once its all up and running..

I bought the QPENG system so I am gagging to install it, really can't wait..!!

When the bodywork is complete and rusty bits of bodywork replaced and welded in I will paint the engine bay then get on with the mechanical side, this will allow me lean all over the thing without worrying about paintwork,..

Plus I'm gagging to drive it...

As my focus has moved onto the gearbox now I am thinking about getting an LSD for it, peloquin I guess but they are big bucks...

Anyone know of a second hand one for sale..?

Thats all for now..!

I've read nothing but good reviews on fitting an LSD, they are expensive. I've looked at the quaife one.... About £500.

Its alot, but fitting a 20vt aint cheap

Do it, it'll be easier whilst the gearbox is out.

AJH 20vt 88 CADDY -------- KR 16V 83 JETTA (SOON TO BE AN ACE 2LTR 16V

500 for a quaife one doesn't sound too bad, will look into that then, thanks moosecaddy

nice caddy

tom

WTF........ Quit it unless you have something productive to say.. Not impressed

Quote Originally Posted by crftom View Post
    I'm a fecking w4nking tw4t

tom

Talking update for the last few months..

Had a bit of break with other projects going and the caddy took a back seat, i just kept on buying parts for it so I think I have near on everything needed parts wise to complete the car.

Now the bad points....

Firstly - some pics of the pickup bed cleaned up... Which was going pretty well to start with. Then I came accross a couple of patches on the bed that had some body filler in it..!!! I thought WTF and carried on....

When I completed wire brushing the bed there were a few holes... I wasnt impressed, adding to that the bulkhead being removed I am now wondering what i have got myself into.. . and had I not of bought all parts to complete it then I would of probably sold up..

but the arches are pretty good...

But none the less I then decided to remove the pickup bed and find a replacement... Managed to get hold of a nice complete pickup bed that will hopefully look good when welded in - wait and see.. Hopefully will be done in the next couple of weeks...

So the bed is now cut off and i'm left with some rather bed supports and chassis rails..

Top of the bed nearly cleaned up and completish...

Its now looking more like a frame than a pickup but when completed at least I know it will be tip top condition and safe..

I have 2 replacement panels from various donors and am working with both to make something nice and original looking as well as straight..

Tonight I removed the leaf springs and axle so I could get to the bottom of the chassis rails to start cleaning that area up..

Love it..................... Not..

I had to use my engine hoist to lift the pickup not I don't have an axle and wheels to sit on.. Its really quite light for what it is..

Now some really bad bits that will require serious repair.. !

Thats it for now... Gonna buy some bushes for the leaf springs and mounts etc - £120.. ouch..!

I am cleaning the underneath and preparing for the pickup bed to be fitted, then I will seam seal all those corrugated sections as per factory before blasting on some schultz.. Will post some more pics when my hands arent too grubby to use my i-phone..

All comments welcome - hopefully it will be painted this year - i'm over giving deadlines now..

wowza that splittie is amazing

Thanks... I'm a bit of a classic modified car perv if I'm honest...!
    Last edited by andydlc; 13-07-2010 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Typo

nice bit of progress fella

While you have the back stripped apart and jacked up, it would be a good time to sort your fuel pump and fuel filter mounts. Much easier than tring to weld upside down!

Monkey
    Alan says: Selling the $hit in the garage pays for new toys

Good plan that man... Hadn't even considered that... Will consider how to sort that and routing... Anyone have a good spare petrol tank they want to sell...? Mines a bit ripe...

fuel tank will be bought from GSF when I get to the stage of needing one - bushes bought today so awaiting their arrival so I can do something mechanical - I'm bored of scrapping crappy old seam sealer - bought a heat gun which has helped considerably though..! probably the best £20 spent on this project so far - Also bought a box of seam sealer - due to the extent of my stripping I'll probably need another box before I'm finished.. Its heavy stuff though..! Will do the necessary water trap areas but leave it thinner on the open sections.. Over and out till I start adding metal again..! (hopefully after the weekend / next week sometime..

got sick of sanding and not being able to get into the nooks and crannies of the chassis so having the chassis / pickup bed sand blasted tomorrow.. Then will slam some more etch primer on and sold weld thru primer on the chassis points. BAck panel will be the bit today to replace the tired rusitn metal between the rear bumper / chassis points.. Will look a lot cleaner, mines full of holes.. Will take some pics of the sand blasting / etch priming tomorrow and upload them..