Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jersey caddy..

Jersey caddy..

Hi Guys,

have posted on here quite a bit but thought I would introduce myself..

I live in sunny jersey in the channel islands and bought my caddy as a sort of a sideline project but its got a bit out of hand now..

I was gonna stick a 16v engine in it and drive it but now its goign to have a 20v 1.8T motor from a TT as the engine came along and I couldn't say no..!

Then after getting my first caddy I was given a second one for free..!

The second caddy, still a runner etc was used on a golf course all its life and has 40,000 original miles on the clock..!! Its a bit dented but pretty rot free.. Not too sure what to do with it as I feel a bit bad breaking it for parts..

Anyhow, have it stored at a mates shed so will leave it there for a while, may sort the brakes and drive it, its an automatic which is kind of th worst bit really..

Back to caddy no 1..!

Pics with progress will follow shortly..!

Have you sorted the mounts yet from AL ??

Thats a lot of power to run through the mk1 chassis........plenty of trouser gravy.

Be fun though.

AJH 20vt 88 CADDY -------- KR 16V 83 JETTA (SOON TO BE AN ACE 2LTR 16V

so you will have 20vt and an automatic.......lol
    make them look identical. then deaf drivers will only know the difference if your in front or behind!!

yeah two caddys, woo hoo!! haven't bought the mount yet as Al couldn't confirm if it would work with an 02J gearbox

ok, heres some pics and progress so far..!

http://images.fotopic.net/yznqga.jpg

As it was when on the road..! Looked pretty good but found to be pretty rotten underneath..

Rear end lowered!

Some floorpan welding passion..!

Repaired..!

Front end off and replaced..

Currently cleaning up the engine bay, have removed the flimsy metal bit with the chassis number on to give me some more space, not gonna do the whole smoothed engine bay, just cleaned with shiney paint the same colour as the outer bodywork, with some seam sealer on the panel joins..

And thats where I'm at at the moment, scraping underseal and prepping the engine bay for paint..

Then I will attempt to put the engine in it after I have bought some mounts..!

I have a couple of other cars, a splitscreen van which I'm building a 2.3 FI motor for currently and my hill climb car, a 1962 Morris Cooper..!

So my progress is slow with the other engine build also..!

The mini runs a 1380 race engine with a 48 weber popping out of the bonnet.. Great little car and pretty much everything done so its kind of finished but sometimes needs improvements doing..

All of it costs money unfortunately and with a mortgage means that I have to buy one thing a month max so I don't go overdrawn..!

Any comments are welcome, I'm sure I'll be asking a load of questions when I get to the engine and wiring, I hate wiring..

wow, nice setup

love the mini, especially the carbs poking out, looks good

You lucky dog

omg thats a horrible van .. just give it to me m8t and i will dispose of it for you lol... very lucky dog
    CADDY OR WIFE ??? LET ME THINK FOR A SECOND .........

sorry yorhsire caddy, you can't have the van but you can have my pain in the ass girlfriend (pictured inside the van)

She's the drain on my finances..

Quote Originally Posted by andydlc View Post
    I live in sunny jersey in the channel islands
    bloody crapaud!

Quote Originally Posted by andydlc View Post
    you can have my pain in the ass girlfriend
    had her already
    you are right though, she is a pain in the ass and a drain my finances
    see you somewhere in the channel pal

oy donkey....! less of that, my lady has more class than to shag a guernsey man!

tonights progress was pretty good, tray removed and started bare metalling the engine bay, I'm bored of doing the engine bay now but I know it will be worth it in the long run as I'll have to look at it quite a bit with the modifications going on in there, plus it has to look presentable and factory like to keep me out of trouble with the law..!

I reckon one more night with my grinder and twisted wire wheel and the majority of the paint will be removed..

My plan is to get the engine bay painted then start thinking about putting the engine in.. No trial fitting gonna happen here..! (Famous last words..)

I will of course be adding a clutch master cylinder, all the engine bay ancilleries, braking system and cable gear shift prior to installing the motor..

Have any of you guernsey men got a spare 22mm servo / master cylinder..??

i do mate what you got to swap

you said i could have em!

not really sure what I have to swap...?!?!

how much for cash...?? If i give you jersey money it will be worth more than guernsey money so £20 jersey?

cool. bouley bay rocks and the commentators are something else!
    muttley racing ftmfw

yeah bouley does rock..!! I broke the record in my class on the easter bank holiday event twice, it took me 8 years then i did it twice in a day..!?!?!? mental..

then the next hill climb on liberation day i lowered my own record.. woo hoo!! hopefully should chip away at the record and make sure no-one else gets anywhere close..!

Pretty much finished bare metalling the caddy engine bay tonight and smoothed off the spot welds from the scuttle tray..

found some rot which was covered up.. so next step will be welding in a few plates, covering clutch cable panel as it will be hydraulic so won't be needed..

Am going to weld in my chassis plate that I cut off beside the heater blower so it looks all fancy and original and then start sanding the engine bay with some sandpaper, hopefully will etch prime later this week / early next week..

Will update with pics tomorrow once i've uploaded them..

Good night..!

PS: where is my 22mm servo guernsey dudes..! perhaps one of you could get Karl marshall or olly duquemin to bring over at the next hill climb in august..?

more update pics...!

nearly bare metalled.. all sanded tonight, next thing I guess is primer..

Thats all folks...!

Good to see your crackin on well with the caddy andy,you got some skills and also likeing the splitty.

oh by the way we will be over for jersey live in 2 weeks for a bit of plunder & pillage

thanks Darren, you haven't got any bits to sell have you? I'm after the following:

Chrome mk1 bumper (don't mind re-chroming)
    22mm servo
    rear stub axles - disk brake type
    Wheels - any nice dished wheels..?

Thanks, Andy

no painting progress this week, i'm gonna do a bit of seam sealing this weekend and am putting a battery tray back as the PO removed it.. Then I can get the front end painted up to the scuttle tray. Then engine install and no doubt more cash..