Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Nobug's Caddy Project

the rag top is quite a bit of money ! but will look great.

thanks for the bed dimensions

Just in the process of stripping the underneath of the caddy, slow work,

I am getting some new supports made up will have them soon. These ones are bowed like the floor was, these poor little pickups must have had some heavy loads in them.

awesome work mate

Hope to get some more work done now that I got these.

another little something I picked up........

i want to start by saying you are doing one heck of a good job man just wish i had the time and room to do that

where did you find all of this and how muck roughly how much did it cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy253 View Post
    i want to start by saying you are doing one heck of a good job man just wish i had the time and room to do that

where did you find all of this and how muck roughly how much did it cost?
    All the window rubbers come from VW ordered from local dealer, the cost close to 1,000.00 cdn

cool man i have been chasing around leads and stuff on how to procure a full set of those and some tail light housings and never made it to the dealership in town lol i usualy go to my local VW Hop Up shop thanks for the info man

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy253 View Post
    cool man i have been chasing around leads and stuff on how to procure a full set of those and some tail light housings and never made it to the dealership in town lol i usualy go to my local VW Hop Up shop thanks for the info man
    I can get the part #'s if you want to check local dealers, I know caddy parts are getting harder to find all the time.

sweet man that would be very much appreciated , yea tell me about it all the local (good local that is) all german yards have all but disappeared and all the kids are startin to get into the early stuff wich doesn't make it any easier, cause all the want to do is chop em up and make em look like crappy honda's down here

hows progress with the caddy matey, dying to see the work on this.
    I'm guessing its getting fairly cold up with you, its bad enough in bloody yorkshire! Hope you've got some heating in the garage!

whats the plan then, work on it all over winter while its cold and dark ready for next spring / summer?

so pleased your putting a euro spec front end on, i just cant fathom the square lights, what were the yanks thinking?

also, any ideas on colour yet, or is that a way off yet?
    Would you like a Caddy with that sir?

OK, here are the part #'s for all the weatherstripping, door seals, windows etc., the only thing to watch would be if you have fixed or operating vent windows. I heard the other day that there are 6 tailgates known to exist in the vw parts inventory. They aren't cheap but apparently still available for around 900 cdn.

Qauntity Part #
    2 - 171 837 439 D
    2 - 251 837 704
    2 - 251 837 703
    1 - 179 845 521
    1 - 171 845 121
    2 - 173 837 911 H
    2 - 171 837 913 F
    2 - 171 837 433 A
    2 - 171 845 261 is for the fixed vent windows
    1 - 171 837 529 B is for the operating vent window left side
    1 - 171 837 530 B is for the operating vent window right side
    Last edited by nobug; 29-10-2008 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny_tinslecat View Post
    hows progress with the caddy matey, dying to see the work on this.
    I'm guessing its getting fairly cold up with you, its bad enough in bloody yorkshire! Hope you've got some heating in the garage!

whats the plan then, work on it all over winter while its cold and dark ready for next spring / summer?

so pleased your putting a euro spec front end on, i just cant fathom the square lights, what were the yanks thinking?

also, any ideas on colour yet, or is that a way off yet?
    I have a good size shop, 10 meters by 13 meters, with heat and lots of lights and yes it is turning cold here, the heat is on..... I am currently working on the jig that holds the caddy, have to make it so it turns, been a real pain with it just on it's side and not being able to turn it. I have a colour picked out, but someone else I know, who is local to me, is building a caddy also, he is at about the exact same stage I am and we both have the same colour picked so it is whoever gets to the paint stage first I guess here is the colour, but may change before it gets finished, which I am hoping will be by spring.

there is 2 different colours but both are fairly close to the same.

Last edited by nobug; 29-10-2008 at 11:07 AM.

nice work mate, that colour works really well with yellow lights! have to dig out a pic!

get going mate, sounds like a top class caddy off!
    Would you like a Caddy with that sir?

I have been busy building this setup so I can spin the caddy to different angles to work on it. I bought a couple of engine stands and square tubing, with some measuring cutting and weldind it is all done, works great.
    It was a little sketchy lifting the truck high enough to get it mounted on the stands but other then that it went pretty slick.

Hey nobug looks nice, was trying to invent the weel on air ride like a semi truck but you have shown us the way, love the stainless
    -will-
    "Get out what you put into it"

Neat idea with the engine stands Nobug !!!!!!!!!!

Nice idea, but it looks a bit precarious on those stands.
    The C of G looks too high for the wheel base of the stands
    I'd much rather see those stands a bit wider so that precious caddy isn't in any danger
    Good work so far though

CADDY UNDER CONSTRUCTION!

I was a little concerned about the width of the stands not being wide enough, I was pleasently suprised at how sturdy it actually is. I thought it might be a little top heavy, but not so.....

I was checking them out a bit more last night, each stand only has one set of wheels that swivel, SO I was thinking on welding a longer square tube to the stand that would extend past the stand and adding another set of wheels to the longer tube, then remove the fixed wheels so all wheels would swivel, plus widening the stands at the same time.
    Last edited by nobug; 08-11-2008 at 12:04 PM.

hey man thanks for the part #'s they helped out alot a couple came back as nla but i got what i needed lower scrapers and upper channels.

nice progress by the way lookin good. like the engine stand idea for a rotisory lol!