Thread: megajolt

megajolt

been considering buying a megajolt set-up for a while now.... plan is to use it on the DX engine I've just bought. Done some research and all I read is positive...... anyone have any experience with megajolt...... anyone got anything bad to say about it..... It seems easy to install but how easy is the mapping side of things.... can't seem to find maps for VW are these available somewhere.....

Any tips welcome

Steve

whats a megajolt

Steve, I'm not familiar with MegaJolt but a quick Google found hits for MegaJolt Lite Jr -- I assume that's the same thing? I also couldn't find VW maps for it, but didn't spend much time looking.

It looks to use 10x10 tables? There are beaucoup MegaSquirt 8x8 tables, and the newer version 12x12 tables, for VW engines. You could use them for your initial bins, and then tune from there. I think it's actually called "MegaSquirt and Spark" (MS'n'S), and/or MS-Extra, if you go looking for maps/tables.

I have some maps from VAG 8V and 16V US knock sensor ECU's (same pin-outs as your KR ECU) that you also could start from if you get a MegaJolt, but they're likely to be less aggressive than Euro specs due to our stricter emision standards?

Your timing (pun intended ) is spot-on, as I have just been gearing up to personally pull the maps from our VW 8V and 16V (and Audi 4000) K.S. ECU's, as I've never been comfortable with the methodology used or accuracy of the above mentioned maps from the 'net. I've also just recently received a purported gen-you-wine official VAG, circa 1986, 16x8 map of "16V ECU", but don't know if Euro or US spec. Hopefully, its rpm data-point breaks will be just what's needed to help get more accurate tables.

If someone has a KR ECU going un-used that they want to loan me (or sell cheap), I could pull the map from it at the same time that I'm benching our US-spec brains.

BTW, I have specs for your DX of "K-jet, 112 bhp, 86-92 Cabby/Rocco", but one source says Mono K-jet -- that's not correct, is it?

Why do you want to use electronic timing on the DX instead of the stock mechanical dizzy?

I've not picked up the engine yet but I think its standard K-jet. My KR set-up is all but finished now and although driving it is good fun if nothing to do in the garage now. Why Megajolt ..... why not? Gonna fit a hotter cam in the DX and try and run it on a re-jetted DMTL weber with possibly a forced cold air feed using an electric fan. The megasquirt should provide a cheap step into ignition mapping for me plus it doesn't 'look' to be that complicated. Yes it has 10x10 tables and comes with a 10deg advance as standard. Looking at using FORD's (spit on the ground) EDIS ignition system which uses a 36-1 tooth wheel mounted on the crank. This incorporates a limp home advance of 10deg too I believe. Still can't seem to track down any VW maps though so will keep in mind your offer.

Steve.

still on the look out for megajolt maps if anyone has any or can post up a link or two. All I can find are pinto maps for 1800/2000 engines, I would hazzard a guess that 'OUR' 8v carb engines and 'THEIR' 8v carb engines are about the same so if it comes down to it I'll start with a ford map

Anyone

Steve