Page 58 of 59 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 1179

Thread: Project Caddy VR6 Turbo

If one pump stops working then it will pop bang and not accelerate so I will know something is wrong, also have an afr gauge to keep an eye on what's happening.

Monkey you can come and rewire my caddy for me when I've stopped making changes

My humble opinion as always, no such thing as overkill when it comes to fuel on hi- performance.

Petrol is cheaper than engines

oh no I agree with you there.

Another cheap idea is to use those glasses made out a drinks straw, you know the ones? the drink goes round the frame,

Connect the pumps to a pair of those, and you can visualise the fuel flow as you drive, if one eye stops moving, you got a problem

Nice right?

I've just come back from vacation so I got a load of cool ideas floating around my head that I wanna get off the ground.

If your going as far as lights to show when the pumps ar on them you may aswell just have a fuel pressure gauge in the cab, then it shows the pumps are working and are at full pressure.

I've now got a fuel pressure gauge under the bonnet and it runs at about 11 bar into the rail on tickover!

Quote Originally Posted by skip0pot2mus View Post
    oh no I agree with you there.

Another cheap idea is to use those glasses made out a drinks straw, you know the ones? the drink goes round the frame,

Connect the pumps to a pair of those, and you can visualise the fuel flow as you drive, if one eye stops moving, you got a problem

Nice right?

I've just come back from vacation so I got a load of cool ideas floating around my head that I wanna get off the ground.
    Lol...

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    If your going as far as lights to show when the pumps ar on them you may aswell just have a fuel pressure gauge in the cab, then it shows the pumps are working and are at full pressure.

I've now got a fuel pressure gauge under the bonnet and it runs at about 11 bar into the rail on tickover!
    that's insane, what Bar boost are you running? i presume your FPR is a 1:1 rising rate thing?

I Agree!

My thoughts went like this. If one pump is capable of supporting 600HP, you won't intrinsically know if the a pump has failed until you're asking for more than 600HP to be produced and at those operating conditions a lack of fuel would be catastrophic.

It might all be overkill but the LED thing is so easy to do it seems mad not to do it to me. Then again I'm used to creating IT systems with 99.999% availability, which is something stupid like 5.26 minutes of downtime a year!
    Alan says: Selling the $hit in the garage pays for new toys

Quote Originally Posted by DubMonkey View Post
    I Agree!

My thoughts went like this. If one pump is capable of supporting 600HP, you won't intrinsically know if the a pump has failed until you're asking for more than 600HP to be produced and at those operating conditions a lack of fuel would be catastrophic.

It might all be overkill but the LED thing is so easy to do it seems mad not to do it to me. Then again I'm used to creating IT systems with 99.999% availability, which is something stupid like 5.26 minutes of downtime a year!
    I actually think the led is a very good idea, and will be adopting this idea in mine. Last thing I want is fuel supply failing....especially mid nitrous shot.

Update time!

Went for a remap

Click on top pic for video.

2 days later!

Looks like either valve float or it's dropped a valve seat, which seems to fit in with what's happened better.

Heads gone, blocks gone, 2 pistons gone, turbo turbine wheel fucked!

That looks expensive. I'm sitting here crying for you

On the plus side I bet your getting really quick at putting everything back together
    Fun Size... I dont get it. What's so funny about half a mars bar?

fuuuuck

this scares me. mines booked in for the rolling road on the 12th june

Guess it's just unlucky that the valve seat came out, it was 24yrs old!

Ant you will be fine, I'm the unlucky one round here, and if you need any replacement pistons I've got 12 stock spares sat here

Hopefully get it back up and running in the month, just waiting on the replacement block to turn up and get it stripped and away for boring out.

Thats really shit Mike,feel for you....if its any consolation Im having a worse time....I think

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    Thats really shit Mike,feel for you....if its any consolation Im having a worse time....I think
    What's happened to yours?

Just a mere oil leak I can't find on the caddy,but 50 grands worth of engines still not fitted in my boat 10 weeks now ,absolutely lost it on the quay with the engineers this morning,cancelled several trips so far,booked Friday onwards and they are wandering round chatting...6 months since I ordered them

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    Just a mere oil leak I can't find on the caddy,but 50 grands worth of engines still not fitted in my boat 10 weeks now ,absolutely lost it on the quay with the engineers this morning,cancelled several trips so far,booked Friday onwards and they are wandering round chatting...6 months since I ordered them
    Stressful time! Now you have given them a rant then hopefully they pull there finger out!

are you sure valve seats dropped? Because I'd have thought the damage would not be this catastrophic.

What does the valve stem look like? any sign of melt?

Quote Originally Posted by skip0pot2mus View Post
    are you sure valve seats dropped? Because I'd have thought the damage would not be this catastrophic.

What does the valve stem look like? any sign of melt?
    I will have another look later but pretty sure it didn't look melted.

I was thinking it's either seats dropped or valve float but as I was running the same engine and head last year with no problems and this happening as i put my foot down and not at full revs it fitted the bill better.

Bits of the seat ended up in number 1 cylinder aswell, that's why I need to Pistons!

What do you think could of caused it skip0pot2mus?

The reason being is that the valves are vertical, if a stellite seat fell, it'd sit on the valve, the valve would get hit by the piston IF the stellite seat sat in such a way that it prevented the valve from seating a distance from the port.

The piston design encompases the combustion area and there is room for some manouvre of the valve without it touching the piston crown in a large way. the seat is harder than the valve, and much harder than the alloy head, the seat would get smashed into the cyl head, maybe break up, get thrown into the exhaust, then misfire like crazy, not likely to cause a valve overheat.

The valve is snapped, how does it snap like that if the valve is vertical to the piston? it needs a shear force, this is found on normal pent angle heads, but not this type, you'd expect some P2V witness marks, but not a catastrophic valve failure like this. Are the collars in tact on the valve stems? Even the contact patch being on one side of the valve should knock it directly up into the cyl head.

I'm not saying it didn't happen, because you sure have some chunks missing from the intake port, just seems really bad. I've not worked with these engines, generally pent systems, vertical valve experience is with diesels and these generally just smash the rockers when they are hit.
    Last edited by skip0pot2mus; 11-05-2017 at 06:48 AM.