Page 1 of 60 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Caddy VR6 Turbo

Project Caddy VR6 Turbo

Well ive been lurking in the background for a while now whilst ive been doing up my caddy and thought it was about time i introduced myself and the old van.
    This is my first caddy but ive had 5 MK2 Golfs including 2 VR6's a 16v and an 8v and an extremely rare MK2 oettinger 16v.I also had a MK1 GTI years ago.
    I fancied the van to carry my Racing Quad around in but after driving it for about 2 months i decided the 1.6 diesel was too slow so i ripped it bits and started the makeover.
    Progress has been slow lately but im getting there, ive fitted the MK3 Golf subframe in order to fit the 2.8 VR6 in and also fitted the pedal box and relocated the brake servo. The engine has been in and now im just preparing the van for paint which seems to be taking longer than the subframe mounting did. The VR will be getting a taste of a Turbo and its been fully rebuilt and it runs on an Emerald ECU. The engine was in my MK2 and was putting out 198 bhp then with just the ECU, stainless exhaust and a filter.
    Not sure if the photo's have worked but i will try to get some up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by slim; 18-10-2011 at 11:38 AM.

Hi Slim,

Not your average first post, quite far advanced.

Sounds like its going to be a fast one then!

Have you got the Turbo kit yet?

Welcome to the forum
    **** Caddyless Vandango ****

welcome slim... just a little project then more pics as this beast progresses

I wouldn't say ive a kit i do have a big TO4e Garret Turbo, manifold, downpipe,wastegate and oil lines. I have a genuine Golf Rallye intercooler which i got to fit in my MK2 but its too big for the caddy so it up for sale now if any one is interested?

welcome mate keep us posted
    !!its not just a caddy!!
    !!its a v&w caddy!!

Sweet 1st post mate, its great getting back to basics with a vehicle, that way you know exactly whats what yeh, well done so far.
    [FONT=Verdana]
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

92' Caddy Sport, clean & sweet. But now sold
    Ratfink will rise again, watch this space

I have just noticed this post. I looks very much like you have been lurking in the background lol

It good to see others with balls to cut up the chassis

keep the updates coming

More progress

Well i thought i would give you all another look at my progress. Got the engine in (Again) and doing a final fit making sure everything has a place and a hole to go through. Seems to be going ok now and my interest is comiing back again so will start the final strip down and ready for paint.
    Im thinking of going for Nimbus Grey but not sure as its a fairly well used colour but ive still a couple of weeks to decide.
    Attached Images Attached Images

So after some time now i thought i would give a little update

So this is whats been happening lately the turbo conversion not quite finished but hopefully will be soon.

Someones been busy ! Nice work dude

About time

Did you buy your exhaust manifold off of someone on the VR6 owners club someone was selling them on there who was grinding off the manufactures writing to try and be exclusive on that product yawn

If you dont know, its an SPA Turbo mani

heres a pic of mine (with writing lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    About time

Did you buy your exhaust manifold off of someone on the VR6 owners club someone was selling them on there who was grinding off the manufactures writing to try and be exclusive on that product yawn

If you dont know, its an SPA Turbo mani

heres a pic of mine (with writing lol)

I think mine was from the states i bought it years ago but i got a downpipe the same as yours with it too so hopefully mine is a spa type

yours is definately SPA

I used to buy stuff of them, but their trade and retail prices were that same so there was no point in dealing with them anymore

I think thats why the people who buy from them disguise the fact

Oh excellent, i was a bit worried that i had bought a cheapy crap manifold and it might crack.

Only problem with it in the MK1, is that it puts the turbo inlet close to the chassis leg making it difficult to get pipework in there

What shortrunner is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    Only problem with it in the MK1, is that it puts the turbo inlet close to the chassis leg making it difficult to get pipework in there

What shortrunner is that?
    Its powernuts original one he made for his vr6 he was originally going to fit, with a small amount of modification.

It works a treat and better than spending £800 on a sp front intake, only thing is you have to bolt it to the botttom half of the standard intake manifold which pushes its right out into the radiator.

When i get it built up again i will get some better engine bay shots there is only about 5mm between the front intake and the rad its very very tight.

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    only thing is you have to bolt it to the botttom half of the standard intake manifold which pushes its right out into the radiator.

there is only about 5mm between the front intake and the rad its very very tight.
    5mm is a luxury mind you thats a small rad you have buy the looks of it.

I have a couple of shortrunners and niether are on the caddy at the mo

Last edited by Al; 18-11-2009 at 10:16 PM.

Thats the first rad i tried, gone back to a corrado VR one now to help the cooling. Had to make the front slam panel removable to get it in and out without removing half the engine.

Maybe a stupid question this Al but having such a small spacer in the head wouldn't be causing me all these overheating/pressure issues would it?
    Last edited by slim; 18-11-2009 at 10:20 PM.

I know I have to undo the front mount and jack the engine up, and then some jiggery pokery to get the rad out

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Maybe a stupid question this Al but having such a small spacer in the head wouldn't be causing me all these overheating/pressure issues would it?
    No I dont think so, I was running 10psi without any spacer and it was perfect