Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: my new caddy project

Caddy rebuild progress pics.

Hi guys.
    Ive just got my new caddy and have started work to restore her to glory.
    shes pretty dinged up but quite solid.underside and bed are pretty good but body work needed attention and next to no electrics worked and interior wasnt great.
    However this will all change.

MOT WORK

Ive got some welding too finish and have to replace a handbrake cable and wheel bearing as well as getting electricxs sorted.
    Turned out the fusebox was shot so im in the middle of replacing that and now have most of the electrics working.

INTERIOR

The carpets and seats are out (will have a good set of gti seats for sale soon if anyones interested). Ive got to repair one of the seat mounts and then strip all old paint and treat and paint floors etc before soundproofing and carpeting it.
    new seats will be fitted and my modified custom dash installed.
    Think i may put elec windows in at some point.

BODYWORK.

2 new wings are going on the front and all rot has now been removed and im bnearly done welding it all. needed both rear wings,( just behind the rear wheels )doing. both rear arches have been repaired and two points on the sill have been done.the rest is solid.
    im getting most of the underside and the bed sandblasted to make sure its all solid and any iffy bits will be repaired before its undersealled/treated.
    there were lots of clips around the outside of the bed where a cover used to attatch.theses have been removed and im welding the holes.
    The whole car will then be prepped readdy for paint.

MOD's

New paint (secret
    Ive got a CNC machine at my garage so axle lowering [plates and several custom billit bits will be made and car will be slammed and adjustable suspension installed up front.
    Ive got my eye on a sweet old school set of deepdish 15s from my mate in canada.Will look awsome with a nice stretched tyre.
    Ill replace the rear scrren and add a few other nice touches to finish
    heres some pics (the guy in pics IS NOT me and ill add more as i go.

Thanks

hope to see you all at some meets soon

steve
    Last edited by scarface; 29-01-2008 at 08:14 AM.

doncaster, south yorkshire, United Kingdom.
    nice one mate,let the spending begin

THIS IS NOT MY CADDY

sounds like its gonna be a goodun with all that work been
    done to it.
    look forward to the updates. nice one

Hi guys.
    So the caddy has been on the backburner for a couple of months as we had a couple of other projects going on (6 speed conversion on a volvo 850 T5R and a 7.6L V8 in a nissan 200sx.)
    however ive managed to hit the caddy again in the last 6 weeks and made some progress.
    There was quite a bit of welding.
    This is behind the front wings. all hols inc the factory ones have been welded so that i can smooth my engine bay when i do my engine conversion.

After welding i treated the inner wings to some underseal we use to protect them.

just got my new wings but am waiting for some louvres to arive so i can weld them in before fitting.

more to come.

steve
    Last edited by scarface; 15-08-2008 at 07:54 AM.

You have a CNC in your Garage!

pics!

Amit
    In my garage
    MK1 Caddy project | 1981 Mk1 G60 | 1978 Golf mk1 | Mk3 VR6 Supercharged | 2005 Merc CLS 320 Daily Driver

yep and a lathe and 2 post ramp etc.
    Me and 2 mates rent an industrial unit in an old fort.its mainly a hobby but then I built a show car and poeple wanted work done etc.
    1 of the guys runs his own engineering company from there so we can make pretty much what we want on them (metal stuff etc, not cakes and things before you lot start and the other 2 of us do work on cars etc

steve
    Last edited by scarface; 15-08-2008 at 07:55 AM.

Cool

Cool keep us posted
    The fun starts when the green light pops

hi guys .
    another update.
    Making good progress now.
    I had already stripped the seats and dash out as im going to replace both and needed access to my wiring loom.
    Ive now got a new fusebox fitted and got all my electrics working. I will need to adapt the loom in order to fit my new dash that is from a completly different car.
    I then stripped out all my carpets and sound deadning before stripping the floorpans down.
    drivers side wasnt too bad but the pass side needed quite a bit of welding where it joins the sill so i had to cut out all the crap metal and weld in nice new metal.

floors were then treated

once that was dry i started sound deadening the floors etc.

im using a combination of accoustic foam that we use at work and flash band for the floors and front bulkhead (havent put flashband in yet).
    I will also be using sound absorbing mat in the doors, roof and bonnet.(heat resistant)

Ive just ordered a nearly new rear section of carpet in black and then will re trim the front section unless a really good condition front section comes up for sale.

steve
    Last edited by scarface; 25-01-2008 at 02:14 PM.

I had the same large rust holes under my wheel arches..... caused by the tappers used to hold the plastic arch liners in place. Good luck with the project looks like you've got access to all the right kit.... Wish I had a lift.

S

Really like the upgrade to the soundproofing, allround.

http://www.newtoncommercial.co.uk/ca...ype=3&model=25

The above link sells moulded carpet. Pricey but new, if your search for a good one, does not materialise.

Keep the updates coming!
    Looks like a pick up, drives like something else!

Cheers for the link.
    Ive carpeted quite a few cars now and have got pretty good so ill probably do it myself as the newton ones are bloody pricey.
    have to see what happens.
    the origianal sound proofing in caddys is rubbish and i had to remove anyway to treat floors.I figured if im going to do it, do it right.
    The misses wasnt that chuffed about me buying the diesel pickup.think she said something along the lines of

" its like being in a tractor but with less room for shopping"

Once deadened it sould be alot quieter (the caddy not the girlfriend)

steve
    Last edited by scarface; 25-01-2008 at 02:18 PM.

Cracking work mate!

As for the missus first comment...

" its like being in a tractor but with less room for shopping"
    that's a pretty positive one, most of our better halves wont even go near "that facking pile of junk"

today I trial fitted my front brakes.

280mm ohh yer.
    and they fit under my 15s quite happily.

just got to give them a good clean and paint and get new pads and disks.

still need to get my servo and M/C though.

also stripped my bed and rear bulkhead

found these along the bottom of the window

so i had to weld all the holes and the ones in the bed before panel beating it as straight as poss.
    The bulkhead then got a skim of filler and the bed got treated.

the bed will be getting a fancy cladding and a GRP cover soon

still lots to come/do

steve
    Last edited by scarface; 26-01-2008 at 05:04 PM.

Nice work

What callipers do you use in front?

They look very big.
    VW Caddy 16V - 85mod
    VW Golf 16V - 94mod
    VW Golf D - 81mod
    Dodge D200 V8 - 79mod
    Daihatsu Rocky 2,8TD

Coming along nicely,

Lets wait and see what colour you have decided?

Told you the carpet was pricey, Try a new post in the wanted, may get a response.

More likely to be from a golf, or another rather than a caddy, because the cab in these seems to be prone to water, unless the holes are cleared, rear window sealed etc.
    http://www.vwcaddy.com/showthread.ph...ighlight=water
    Al's comments on this one sums it all up nicely.
    http://www.vwcaddy.com/showthread.ph...ighlight=water
    Last edited by veedubbleya; 26-01-2008 at 05:45 PM. Reason: grammer
    Looks like a pick up, drives like something else!

They are quite big.
    They are off a calibra 2L Turbo. Ill be using EBC green stuff pads and doing something a bit special with a custom set of vented disks (hoorah for the CNC machine)

steve

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by regcheeseman View Post
    Cracking work mate!

As for the missus first comment...

that's a pretty positive one, most of our better halves wont even go near "that facking pile of junk"
    My wife wanted me to get a caddy, she saya she is going to sell her 04 polo and use it herself

Quick update.

ive got myself a mk3 golf with a good AAZ engine (104k miles with service history)

Ill be removing the engine and box etc and sticking it in the caddy.
    The engine will have some mods but ill come to them when i do the swap.

im just waiting to get my 16V servo, m/c and braided lines before fitting the brakes and should be fitting power steering and smoothing the engine bay before fitting the engine.

anyway.

The body work:

Panel beat it as straight as poss, welded up all remaining holes (from bed cover clips etc)

layed some skims of filler here and there before sanding and first guide layer of primer.

Its pretty straight now but still needs resanding and a few pin holes filling, the new front wings fitting, the tailgate straightened and the front panel modified for the intercooler and oil cooler. It will then get another sand before getting the compressor and gun out, spraying with sealer then some filler primer, sanded and then coloured. (this wont be done for a while i dont think. got lots to do before getting paint on).

steve

Hi.
    I did some more work last night.
    Im going to hit it again this weekend so ill keep you posted.
    Anyway...im going to buy a set of 15 x 8 dished rims from canada but til then i found this set of tsw evo-r rims that have been sat around the garage.
    Im not going to be keeping these as they arnt old school enough but they do look quite good on therem, just not the look im going for eventually.
    as you can see they were quite scuffed

but after some fileing, sanding and a bit of referb they are looking sweet.

not sure if i should keep the centers silver or go black

ill see what they look like with the silver calipers.

speaking of the calipers i stripped these calibra turbo calipers back as they were pretty cruddy

they have been coated in very high temp paint.

i may change the colour later on.

i also took a disk cutter to my brand new wing

to fit this vent to suck in cold air to my cold air feed

it will be flushed in and a hole cut in inner wing then inner and outer joined together.
    another vent will go in the bonnet directly behing the intercooler to suck hot air out.

steve
    Last edited by scarface; 01-02-2008 at 12:48 PM.

My Caddy got the same wheels on. Its the TSW Evo R's. 15". Had a friend who painted his charcoal aswell. On a white Caddy it looks awsome.
    CaddyRacingCaddyRacingCaddyRacing