Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Leaf Spring Clatter! Problem Solved....

Leaf Spring Clatter! Problem Solved....

Most Caddys suffer from this annoying clattering, especially when the axle has been flipped

Later Caddys had rubber mushrooms fitted to stop this problem which was obviously recognised by VW, although most of these have now either been lost or deteriorated and fallen off They are still available from VW for £8 odd plus VAT EACH

I have been working on a "Poly Bush" version for the Caddy and have now produced a prototype, I plan on making these and making them available here to buy, prices will be approx £15 a set So this is a bit of a feeler to who will be interested in these "Anti-Clatter Bushes"

Ultimately there will be two types;

The 1st type (see pics) will be for the earlier Caddys which didn’t have them fitted from factory, that have a 5mm hole at the end of the assister leaf

The 2nd type will be a direct replacement for the later mushroom type Although the 1st type will also work here with a penny washer

These are the prototype bushes, I haven’t finalised the actual design yet but it will give you an idea (the white patches are releasing agent).

Last edited by Al; 18-02-2007 at 01:59 PM.

I wanna set ASAP.
    **** Caddyless Vandango ****

I'll have a set

Nice one Al
    They look "proper job" Having never driven my caddy in the 2 years Ive had her I dont know if I need them yet lol
    But if I do, I know where to come now

blackandwhitebmx Guest
    i'll take a set.

Will state side be able to get them?

yep i would buy them straight away if you had a set the bangin noise i get from mine does my sweed right in

Yep. I'll have a set. Give me a shout when they're ready!

the artist formerly know as when_the_angels_sing
    Myspace Profile - See what a dick I really am

Quote Originally Posted by Bo0stl3aksp3cial
    In theory yes, im not sure of the spring setup in the states, i will look at some pics

They will be avalable soon lads, i just need to get under my Caddy to finalise the design before I make a batch

im in, to get rid of the clattering would be great
    the return of the joe

Hurry, Hurry!

I've never had clatter problems. My leaf springs have these nylon sheets in between them, I don't know if they're factory or not. When I added the extra leaf last year I put a generous helping of never-sieze between each set of leafs and haven't heard a peep.

Garry
    The Truckdoza Lives!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bo0stl3aksp3cial
    I just looked at some detailed pictures of a US setup and they will not be suitable for that application, in the US you have a "close multi leaf" setup which will have nylon of simular bushings as Darth mentioned.

In Europe the Caddy was designed to carry more weight so an "assister" leaf was added

Al you got any pics of where/how these will mount ?

Amit
    In my garage
    MK1 Caddy project | 1981 Mk1 G60 | 1978 Golf mk1 | Mk3 VR6 Supercharged | 2005 Merc CLS 320 Daily Driver

I will as soon as there is a break in the weather as I need to fit the ones above to my Caddy with a little "how to"

Quote Originally Posted by Amit
    Al you got any pics of where/how these will mount ?

Amit
    Here you go, you can see where the assister spring has made an impression on the main spring over time

My assiter springs dont have holes in them..

and I dont fancy taking them off again..

I fitted some 2" blocks at the weekend.. what a mission that was!

Amit
    In my garage
    MK1 Caddy project | 1981 Mk1 G60 | 1978 Golf mk1 | Mk3 VR6 Supercharged | 2005 Merc CLS 320 Daily Driver

you wouldnt need to take them off to drill them! Just jack it up and wedge a block of wood between the leaves

Have you driven with them on yet, do they work?

I need!

TBH I only fitted that one in the cold yesterday for a visual, I was going to do the rest today but its raining yet again

As soon as I get a dry day I will finish them off and make a batch as I have finished the final design