PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearings

newvanman
26-07-2006, 09:16 AM
Hi all, just a quick question i've been told i need to adjust my rear wheel bearings but not sure how to go about doing this, does it mean that i just take them off and put them back on cleaned and greased or is it a little more complicated than that, any advice would be useful cheers.

caddyshack
26-07-2006, 09:32 AM
Hi Mate, Adjusting them couldnt be easier really, its just a case of tightening the nut under the grease cap...make sure you dont overtighten them...best way is to re-grease them and then nip them up and make sure you can move the drum by hand...you may need to nip them again later.

If you are in any doubt then buy new ones from German and Swedish (GSF) as they are cheap...if the drums are looking worn then you you can do bearings, drums, shoes and new wheel cylinders and bleed nipples for around 100.

If you are in any doubt then get it checked by a qualified mechanic.

newvanman
27-07-2006, 07:53 AM
Cheers mate had a go last night and its all sorted, really was as easy as you said it would be so cheers for your help.

caddyshack
28-07-2006, 02:35 PM
No Worries, just check them after 500+ miles and make sure they havent moved and that they are not too tight! :thumbs_up

newvanman
28-07-2006, 03:06 PM
cheers for that, how can you tell if there too tight, obviously if you cant' spin the wheel by hand, but is there any other tell tale signs?

caddyshack
28-07-2006, 03:52 PM
You might find that they begin to rumble if the oil overheats or you might get the oil leaking out of the grease cap where it has got too thin.

If you can move it by hand it should be ok just remember that it might tighten when it gets hot but I expect you are ok.