PDA

View Full Version : Hey Everybody from North Carolina

briancbaker
20-07-2006, 01:45 AM
Hey Everybody!

My wife and I just bought our 2nd 1981 VW Rabbit Pick-up :thumbs_up . This brings us up to 4 Volkswagens in total:

1981 VW Pick-up w/1.9 Diesel (installed 2004)
1981 VW Pick-up w/1.6 Diesel (just purchased, needs some engine work but great body ;-) )
1994 VW Jetta III GL w/2.0 Gas (purchased new Jan '94)
2003 VW New Beetle w/1.8 Turbo Gas (purchased new Oct '02)

As you can see, we are tried and true VW addicts. My wife has owned our original Caddy since 1987 and put over 250K on the original 1.6 diesel before we decided to upgrade to the 1.9 in 2004. It is because of this Caddy that we have acquired our second one. I was filling up with Diesel one day when a guy asked me if I was interested in another one. I found this strange, because usually I am approached with offers to buy the one we have :) . Anyway, he claimed to have a good diesel Caddy that he inherited from his Uncle who purchased it new. Long story short, my wife and I checked it out and what we found was a beautiful Caddy with only 137K miles on it and in need of some engine work. Needless to say, we jumped on it. This one is going to be mine, so we'll have his and her Caddys :D .

I will post pictures as soon as I have them!!

Brian Baker

mortskeg
20-07-2006, 11:04 AM
I'm not from NC nor am I near it but enjoyed the intro and wanted to say- welcome to the forum!

briancbaker
20-07-2006, 03:54 PM
Thanks! :)

I read your post on hooking up a gasser tach to a diesel. My wife has been wanting to do that, so I may be sourcing a GTI tach and trying that project in the near future. I've already picked up some good info in the forums, great resource! :thumbs_up

gonzoactive
20-07-2006, 07:07 PM
Hello,

I am new to the forum and live between Greenville and Goldsboro, NC. I ran into an old friend that said he wished he had not sold his VW pickup - he got 50 mpg in a diesel motor. I am primarily interested and researching the option of buying a VW rabbit pickup for this reason. I just went to edmunds.com and they say the cars are barely worth $1000.00

So what is the best model pickup to get? Can the diesal engine be modified to accepts fast food grease? I have only heard that this fuel source can only make up 30% of the fuel. Which models really get up 50 mpg?

Thanks

briancbaker
20-07-2006, 08:34 PM
Well...first I would say that any car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you look at eBay you'll see that a diesel model in really good shape will go for considerably more than 1000. I paid more than that for the one I just got and it isn't even running, but the body is almost perfect. :thumbs_up

As far as mileage goes, when we had the 1.6 diesel in our original pick-up its was getting 45-50 before it started to lose compression. Now with the new 1.9 diesel in it, it is consistently getting right at 45, we probably could improve this a bit if we put an air gate on it, but then it wouldn't say VOLKSWAGEN across the back :0 . I haven't done any research into the veggie oil stuff, but I know there is lots of info about it on the net.

KWCADDY
13-08-2006, 01:55 AM
It is great to see others on this side of the big pond that likes the "Caddy". I just got mine and love it. It has 260k on it and still gets 50mpg. However, I don't think it is the original motor. this one has an air compressor on it and no A/C control inside. Does anyone know of a better transmission than the 4speed. I have a devil of a time getting into 1st and 2nd. Mostly when heavy traffic is on my back. thanks for the forum I love the info. Ken :)

wasupcuz
02-09-2006, 02:56 PM
This is an old thread but I am a newbe in NC so will introduce here. Had an 83 years ago and regretted selling it. Bought my present 81 LX Diesel around 4 years ago. It has 164Kmiles and other than the shake, runs perfect. I had it in my shop for the last 6 months as the rear brakes locked up. I turned it over twice and it started right up after sitting there that time. Anyway I got back on the brakes and needed help so I found this forum and PLENTY of help with pictures. I have determined the problem is a very weak upper spring on the rear. I had replaced everything else. Will be on the road again by next week.
wasupcuz
81 LX Diesel with 87 GTI seats and wheels.

mortskeg
02-09-2006, 06:05 PM
wasupcuz- Welcome to the forum! :cheers: :cheers: