PDA

View Full Version : Newbie! Need some basic Information!

BenB
13-07-2006, 08:49 AM
Hi Everyone!
Just yesterday I won an ebay auction for a Caddy so thought I'd better say Hi as I'm sure I'll be spending a lot of time on here! I Havenmt owned a VW for about 4 years, I've had 2 mk2 golf in the past (Not in any condition to be proud of unfortunately!) and drove a crazy hotrod beetle about 8 years ago or so (Pic attached!), and I've always wanted to get back into the VW scene, so this was my chance!
TBH restoring a Caddy to a lowrider on some tiny but fat oldscholl rims has always appealed, but for the time being I'm in the middle of a building project at home, and a cheap pickup would save money on skips etc (Or so I managed to convince the girlfreind! :thumbs_up ) so until that's finished, I wont be lowering or anything, just making good for the time being, and still using her for dirty jobs!

Havent even picked her up yet, so not sure on her condition, but only paid 180, so I'm sure first impressions wont be too pretty! Really looking forward to the mammoth task ahead!

As a total newbie to Caddies, I dont know even the most basic info! The Caddie is based on a Mark1 Golf right? So will any Mark1 golf repair manual do? I can only find one that goes up tp 1980 and my caddie is '86. Did they change the golf to mk2 in 1980 and keep the Caddie mk1 based??!?! (See, I told you I was clueless!)

Sorry for being dumb, I'm sure I'll say plenty of stupid basic things in the next few weeks!

P4ulo
13-07-2006, 01:11 PM
using her for dirty jobs!

Just make sure you protect the bed if you are putting rubble in -
although they are pretty strong, they dent pretty easy and new panels are very rare!!!!

As a total newbie to Caddies, I dont know even the most basic info! The Caddie is based on a Mark1 Golf right? So will any Mark1 golf repair manual do? I can only find one that goes up tp 1980 and my caddie is '86. Did they change the golf to mk2 in 1980 and keep the Caddie mk1 based??!?! (See, I told you I was clueless!)

Sorry for being dumb, I'm sure I'll say plenty of stupid basic things in the next few weeks!

Yep, all the same as a Mk1 golf.
The Haynes Manual (TM) actually does have a couple of bits in it about the caddy anyway, such as rear LEAF suspension and the obviously different exhaust system.
They are the same as a 5 Door MK1 golf from the door onwards, so be careful if ytou are hunting for front doors and stuff.....

BenB
13-07-2006, 01:19 PM
Thanks P4ulo! I'll grab myself a mk1 golf manual then. Nice one!

I was thinking if covering the rear bed in thick plywood for the duration of the dirty jobs- not only will it protect it, but it would be by far the quickest way of making that area look neatest for the time being!

By the looks of your sig you're in the same boat as me! Using you Caddie for your building project, then restoring her!

P4ulo
13-07-2006, 07:45 PM
I am addicted to Rubble removal at the moment,
I have been seriously scaring myself with the handling of the Skopickup when its massively overloaded at the back.
It handles like a right old dog!!!

I've got about 3 tons to move in the next 2 weeks, so I can then lower it and slap me nice wheels on for our little get together!!!

The easiest way to Lower a Skoda;

Amit
13-07-2006, 08:40 PM
Love the beetle.

One of my caddys is decked in 12mm ply and is what I have been using for tip runs to relocate my avacado green bathroom to a nice yellow container.

Look forward to seeing the lowrider materialise.

Amit