PDA

View Full Version : First Caddy and my brain is humming...

ctzn_smith
20-04-2006, 05:48 PM
Hi,

So I bought Garold's Caddy (White '88 1.6 litre 4 speed) down here in Southampton just as a set of wheels really, but I was pretty hooked by how the caddy looks. He also pointed me in the direction of this forum and reading bits on here has really got my brain buzzing with improvements or ways to sort out current 'niggles'.

The caddy runs pretty well and I can't see myself going near the engine much as I have no experience there, in fact I probably have more enthusiasm than actual skill to be honest, but I know my way around most tools.

Current niggles that I want to get sorted are:

- Rear screen. I need to attack this so I can see through it! Unless anyone has a cheap replacement going spare.

- Tailgate, one side of it needs the (okay I have no idea what it is called, but it's the bit that hinges) welding back on. Also it is currently being opened/held up by means of a nut and bolt. I don't think the latch/opening mechanism is going to be repairable? alternatives? Or does anyone know where I can get a new tailgate?

- I am umming and erring about putting the back bumpers back in place...however I don't have the mounting brackets?

- Call me paranoid but I kind of want a spare wheel...anyone got a spare 15" spare?

- What does the orange switch (that lights up) on the dash do?

- So I have a secondary set of head lamps? any ideas on why they don't seem to work or how to fix them.

- Can someone write an idiots how to, for filling holes and respraying please.

...I think that is just the start, I have so many questions! Currently I am pretty happy driving around and getting lots of stares! If you see a white caddy with a camo bed cover give me a wave! :thumbs_up

P4ulo
20-04-2006, 07:07 PM
are you sure you don't have a spare?
They are tucked up underneath the bed in a cage.

Good luck with your project.
You don't need skills,
they're so easy to work on and bits are cheap,
Get a Haynes Manual and get dirty!!!

waterboy
20-04-2006, 07:27 PM
my mates a spray painter for a living. He used a car polish buffer with rubbing compound and the old yellow rear window was once again clear (also water drains off very quick)

easy cure. :)

dub-ha8
20-04-2006, 08:46 PM
I'm sure that a 15" rim will not fit underneath in the cage.

And welcome :thumbs_up

P4ulo
20-04-2006, 08:48 PM
I'm sure that a 15" rim will not fit underneath in the cage.

oh yeah. DOH!!

What about modding an existing spare wheel holder, surely its only a bit of bent metal eh?!

vwjunkie
20-04-2006, 10:58 PM
What about modding an existing spare wheel holder, surely its only a bit of bent metal eh?!

I fabricated mine since the original was rusted pretty bad. The original is hollow tubing. I used solid steel rods, heated and bent them to match the original and welded the original "latch" bracket on. I drilled holes at each end so I can use cotter pins to keep it from sliding out, although it wouldn't anyway. I'm going to redo mine again to fit at least a 14" wheel. I run 15" but 14" should be good as a spare.

Mike

ctzn_smith
21-04-2006, 12:06 AM
The spare is definitely not there seeing as the bracket is in my shed. I didn't even consider what size original Caddy wheels were supposed to be though.

Oh yeah and is there a specific Caddy Haynes Manual? I thought I read somewhere that it wasn't covered in the Golf manual for that period.

vwjunkie
21-04-2006, 12:19 AM
The spare is definitely not there seeing as the bracket is in my shed. I didn't even consider what size original Caddy wheels were supposed to be though.

Oh yeah and is there a specific Caddy Haynes Manual? I thought I read somewhere that it wasn't covered in the Golf manual for that period.
The original wheel size is 13" and skinny. I have a Haynes manual that includes the pickup. It covers the Rabbit, Golf, Jetta, Scirocco, and pick up from 1975-1991 Gasoline models. So I guess the answer to you question is yes. :D

Mike

aberry
21-04-2006, 01:58 AM
1. compound the sh*te out of the rear screen
2. rear tailgates are hard to get, you should be able to patch up the body where the hinge is mounted with a nice bit of weld.
3. do away with back bumper, (it looks crap in-any-ways )
4. 13'' spare, cheep as chips
5. heater plug light, in desiel yokes only (heats yer engine before starting)
6. not sure whats the craic with yer head lamps (may need rewiring)
7. I would get a pro to spray da yoke, trust me a pro job is allways best.

Good luck, and have fun
you have some work to do

dub-ha8
21-04-2006, 05:13 AM

This forum is the Haynes manual and more :thumbs_up

vwfreak
21-04-2006, 05:50 AM
my mates a spray painter for a living. He used a car polish buffer with rubbing compound and the old yellow rear window was once again clear (also water drains off very quick)

easy cure. :)

*Just another possibility* :)

I've been using Flitz for years for polishing up aluminum. As it turns out it's great for oxidized plastic and lexan.

Here's a link to their site. Very good stuff! :thumbs_up

http://www.flitz.com/

Al
21-04-2006, 10:51 AM
This forum is the Haynes manual and more :thumbs_up

Yeah Haynes does know shit compared to this site :p

Why not just use a 13" spare, it will be fine unless you have 256 or 280mm brakes to cover, but i suspect by the description of your caddy that the brakes will be std :td

ctzn_smith
22-04-2006, 06:36 PM
So I worked out the why the secondary lights don't work...hahaha...the wires off of them don't connect to anything :rolleyes:

I don't think you can get that Haynes 75-91 Manual anymore. I assume that the Golf manual will cover engine, electrics etc. for the front end as it were?

oh and in response to aberry...can someone right an idiots guide to filling holes then, preparing the area, best filler to use, getting a good smooth finish etc.

ctzn_smith
06-05-2006, 06:08 PM
I knew I was bad at estimation...but I am a div.

My wheels are 13 x 6 anyway!! So a 13" spare would be fine!!