PDA

View Full Version : Hello from The Great White North! Eh?

vwfreak
01-03-2006, 03:40 PM
Hello everyone! :thumbs_up
Yes another noobie, who's no stranger to VW's. They're pretty much all I've owned (other than a few lifted 4X4's), since I was 16.

I am picking up a 1981 Caddy, and should have it delivered by this weekend.
It's not running, but has all the "important things", and a fairly solid body.
The strut tower assembly has been cut out an replaced too. (very nice)

I have a very heavily modded 8V that may just find its way in to the Caddy. It's currently in my 1988 A2 Golf, but won't pass the emissions as it was from my buddy's GT3 class Golf that he used to race. (now races a Corrado VR6 in GT2)
So basicly if I put this 8V motor in a chasis that's 1987 or older it doesn't matter. :screwy: Silly Government regulations, there's almost always a way around them luckily!

Here's a picture of the Caddy, my '88 A2 Golf and my '95 Jetta GLX VR6.
We have a restored '86 Cabriolet as a cottage vehilce too.

Ya, I guess you could say I have a thing for VW's, but wouldn't have it any other way... 8D Will post more pics of the Caddy once it arrives at its new home. :D

vwfreak,

vwfreak
01-03-2006, 04:44 PM
Here's a link to a few funny VW commercials for the new 200hp GTI. 8D

They all make fun of the silly ricermobiles that plague our streets, and the shows that encourage it. (Pimp my Ride)
Excessive stickers for parts they don't have, huge spoilers, fart pipes, etc...
Not a Caddy, but still worth watching. Enjoy.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/02/22/vw-strikes-again-un-pimp-my-ride-videos/

vwfreak,

*If you click on the highlighted words "GTI Fast" in the first paragraph, it'll take you to another series of VW commercials that I've never seen before.*

P4ulo
01-03-2006, 08:26 PM
Hi there friend.
Good to welcome you aboard, what plans for the Caddy!?
Nice back window, cool!!!

vwfreak
02-03-2006, 04:50 PM
Hard to say for sure, but I have a few images in my mind of what I want it to look like when it's done. For now I just plan on stripping it down to a bare shell, repaint it and start all over again. :D

I've always liked the Caddy, but they didn't sell well in Canada.
Most of them either rotted away, or were written off in accidents. The few that are left are often owned by die hard VW fans that either want way too much money, or won't part with them.
This one needs its fair share of work, but it's by far the most solid chasis that I've seen for sale in several years around here.

The interior currently has no headliner, no carpet, and a few other things missing that I'm sure I over looked. I belive I can likely modify/shorten a Rabbit/GTI headliner to work, and the carpet from a Cabriolet or Rabbit should also fit with no problem once it's been trimmed down a bit at the rear.

I have a nice A2 Black dash that may go in, but I'd rather find either a Corrado, or A3 dash (like the one in my Jetta). I think they look great if done correctly.
It will be getting either a Cabriolet big bumper, or I may alter an A2 big bumper for the front end only (roll pan in the rear).

This will also be receiving the rear axel flip, and Eibach Sportline springs for the front, a pair of '91 Recaros, and a nice Sparco suede steering wheel which I luckily have kicking around from past vehicles.

Will need to buy a Cabriolet badgeless grill, as I have a brand new pair of Hella H4's in the box too! 8D

Now all I really need is the time, and some good weather!

vwfreak,

P4ulo
02-03-2006, 09:25 PM
Good to hear you haven't gone all stoopid on us,
and you intend to slam it.
Sounds like a bit of work, good boy!!

vwfreak
10-03-2006, 01:37 AM
Well here it is... :D :D :D
Not too pretty yet, but just give me some time ;)

vwfreak,

*I just had to try out the full size spare from my Golf. (205/40/16)* :D

dubdoc
10-03-2006, 10:34 AM
Hey there. Like, welcome, eh. I'm in Nova Scotia and a new Caddy owner also.

This is the greatest source of Caddy info imaginable, though the rabble that frequent it are often disrespectful to their elders.:rolleyes: .

Mk1
10-03-2006, 11:01 AM
Hello, welcome.

I like the look of that Mk2, do you have any more pic's?

vwfreak
10-03-2006, 09:20 PM
I like the look of that Mk2, do you have any more pic's?

This is the same car I used to drive to high school in when it was basicly new.
It has had many changes made to it over the years. Not too much original equipment left in there now. ;)

It has my friends old race motor in it currently, so I can only get a tempoary 10 day pass for it.(won't pass emissions) For the few times I take it out each year now the $15 for 10 days is worth every penny. :thumbs_up

I plan to hang on to this one for many years to come. I LOVE IT SOOOO MUCH! Still my favorite VW body style :D

vwfreak,

vwfreak
12-03-2006, 12:15 AM
I removed the old dashboard, seats, and the heater core today.

Then I test fitted my Mk2 dashboard and cluster to see what it looks like. :thumbs_up It's no Corrado dash, but a definite improvement I think. :D

Once the dash was in (well sort of anyways...) I put my steering wheel back on, and installed a pair of Recaro's in that I had in storage until now.

A friend gave me his Mk2 large front bumper in exchange for some parts he needed. It's not perfect, but should clean up nicely when resprayed.

I plan to pull out the motor & tranny next week so I can get right in there and start cleaning up the work of previous owner. :screwy:

vwfreak,

vwfreak
01-04-2006, 05:42 AM
There's just somthing about dogs and trucks...

I had the tailgate open for a minute while I was sweeping out the bed and in hops my sidekick Sheeba. I closed the gate and she stayed in there happily for an hour or so while I continued to tinker. :)

Was too good of a photo to pass up. :thumbs_up

vwfreak,