PDA

View Full Version : hello there!

alex
21-12-2005, 08:18 PM
just thought id introduce myself, ever since ive been into Vdubs ive always wanted a caddy, but when ever one comes up at a good price im always half way though and insucance year, and they wont swap the insurace to a *comercial vehical* balls to that eh!
anyway, ive finally got a good dela with norwich union, so i bought this well i actually swaped it for a mk1 5dr GL, which i paid 225 for, and the caddy was for sale for 350 with 11 months MOT on it, it need tax tho, anyway heres some pics,

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/howardlinn/Caddy3.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/howardlinn/Caddy4.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/howardlinn/Caddy5.jpg

its a 1.6 diesel, which is feckin loud! so thats my first question is there any way to quieten the engine down? thicker oil?

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/howardlinn/Caddy2.jpg

look at the rear, **** knows why its stitting so high on the rear, its about a 10" gap between the polo wheels and the top of the arch on the rear, so once ive got it driving right, need brakes sorting, and just bits and pecies, ill be mounting the axel above the leaf springs and using new U's and 2" blocks to slamit in the weeds, cos, it'll never be a quick car (not with the 1.6 diesel in it anyway!)so i want it stupidly low!!! once it drives better and is on the floor,
ill then be painting it matt black, with the oe white colour as a stripe right thu it, think it'll look good, also i will be swaping bits form mk2 GTi stuff, ie seats, P slot wheels etc,
let me know you opinions
cheers
alex.

Darth Garry
21-12-2005, 08:29 PM
Looks like a steal for $350! I'd be all over that. The diesel is slow, but you won't regret having it when you go to the gas station.

About the noise, there isin't much you can do, unfortunately diesel is loud. I and many other people have put additional insulation into their dashboards and firewalls, which makes a HUGE difference. I'd consider doing that if you're going to have the interior bits apart anyway.

Garry

alex
21-12-2005, 08:59 PM
yeah i thought that, not botherd about it being quick so i was gonna be more botherd about its styling and ICE, so i was think of dynamating the whole cab area, gonna stirp the whole thing back 2mora and have a good poke around, cheers for the tips tho,
other than dyanamat etc, what other cheaper soundprofing solutions are there??
cheers
alex.
(PS,got it cheaper than 350, i only paid 225 for the car i swaped it for, and the car i swaped it for needs TAX&MOT in jan!)

veedubjoe
21-12-2005, 09:16 PM
That looks pretty straight and is a bargain for that kinda money! Mine is mega loud, I dont even have carpet in mine at the moment! But when I spray the new colour inside the cab and engine bay next month i'm going to put a fair but of sound-proofing under the carpet and behind the dash to make it more user friendly, as my Caddy is my daily driver!
And welcome to the forum bud!

alex
21-12-2005, 09:27 PM
hi mate, i remeber seeing a sound proffing kit in my local parts place, its about 3/4 of an inch thick and it looks like its made out of horse hair or summat! i think it would be ok to use this type of sound proofing on all vertical surfaces around the cab, dunno about on the floor tho as it hold water pritty bad, thats why dyna mats so good, just gotta find a good glue to stick it!!!
cheers
alex.

veedubjoe
21-12-2005, 09:34 PM
I'm gonna buy proper under carper sound proofing! Dynamat is superb but think its probably too pricey for me to use cos I'd get carried away!

caddyboy
22-12-2005, 12:33 AM
Buy "flashing tape" from a plumbers merchants or B&Q, it's like sticky tar with tinfoil bonded onto it, looks like Dynamat, does the same but is a tenth of the price, you could even do a double layer and still save a fortune!

Good luck with the truck and welcome to the forum.

alex
22-12-2005, 09:23 AM
yeah ive seen it, might use that on the floors!
thanks
alex.