PDA

View Full Version : Learning about Caddys

whitedog
03-10-2005, 02:17 AM
OK, last week, I didn't know what a Caddy was, but since I am a diesel guy and have a 2004 Jetta TDI, I have become interested. And I am thinking about a diesel truck that I can carefully take off road and get better than the 15 MPG in my gas Dodge.

Then I saw one in a farmer's field and wondered... I have heard about head gasket problems and will research that, but mostly I will be poking and proding trying to learn something here and there.

I took a quick look at the FAQs and the search feature here and I certainly need some work on how to make that work.

Since I basically no nothing about these engines, can I get some hints on search phrases to study on? Hopefully that will keep the same questions that have been answered azillion times before from popping up.

+head +gasket will be top of my list.

Did I miss someplace that has many groovy, newby questions answered?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

mortskeg
03-10-2005, 08:20 PM
Whitedog, welcome to the forum!
Personally I can't say enough good things about the vw diesel, but then I am kinda partial. :D The few negatives are far outweighed by the positives in my mind. If you look for an 81-83 diesel pickup it should have the 1.6 diesel vs the 1.5 that was found in the 1980 models; however, these things are getting up there so most have probably had an engine swap at some point. The 1.5 is not quite as "heavy duty" as the 1.6 and is more likely to get hot and possibly have H.G. problems. They are also infamous for cracking in the rebuild process. I've never had a H.G. problem with my 1.6, infact the only problem it had was that the intermediate shaft bearings were starting to wear and of course the fact that the engine is an interference design, so if your timing belt breaks, chances are that you will need a new engine. There is a forum that is specifically vw diesel engine, and has tons of info on the idi engine (vs the newer tdi) but can't remember the link of the top of my head. vwdiesel.net? Yep, that's it. Anyhow, I'm running the 1.5 in mine right now and there are options beyond that depending on how much time and money you want to invest but many here have gone from the 1.6 to a 1.6TD and love it.
I've taken mine on some pretty unimproved roads at low speeds with no problems but I wouldn't advise big bumps/ higher speeds as it really is designed to be an on-pavement rig. They can take some abuse though.
If you have any more questions ask away and we'll do our best to answer but if you are able to find a nice caddy for a good price I'd say go for it! They're always people on ebay spending stupid amounts of money for them so you could always turn it if you didn't like it. Or you could give it to me. :D
Again, welcome to the forum!

Darth Garry
04-10-2005, 02:46 PM
Welcome fellow diesel head. If you read some of the historcal engine thread, there's a lot of diesel stuff on there, or www.vwdiesel.net like 'da man said.

Garry

whitedog
05-10-2005, 12:54 AM
VWdiesel.net I found, but thanks for the mention anyway, mcuh appreciated.

Intermediate shaft sounds like another thing to search for. I assume that it is an idler roller in the timing belt path.

Historical diesel engines... Coolio, I haven't found that one yet. Since TDIclub is down for maintenance, I will check into it now.

whitedog
05-10-2005, 02:15 AM
OK, so I was wrong about the intermediate shaft. I think I'll wander down to the local library tomorrow and see if I can find some basic pictures and such there.

mortskeg
05-10-2005, 06:33 AM
So you've a thrist for some good diesel info? I should have posted this link provided by resident diesel bad-@ss Dr.C that contains a ton of useful information. On a separate note, probably the worst thing I've encountered with my diesels has been engine runaway, but this is a problem easily prevented.
Sweet manual-
http://www.fostertruck.com/Files/VW_diesel_77-83.pdf

On runaway-
http://vwcaddyforum.com/showthread.php?t=4113

Have fun :cheers:

Darth Garry
05-10-2005, 12:18 PM
Intermediate shaft is a shaft that runs off the timing belt (with a big pully) it goes through the engine, and has a gear on the end which turns the oil pump and vacuum pump. So yeah, it's important! There are two bearings inside the block that are like a solid ring, with 2 oil galleries inside of them that need to be lined up.

When my first TD exploded (sort of) last fall, it cracked the cylinder head and chomped up the intermediate shaft bearings. Unfortunately you need a special tool or a lot of luck to put them in, and it was one of the few jobs I outsourced since the rebuild. They had to actually get bearings custom machined as the ones they repeatedly ordered did not fit!

Garry

whitedog
07-10-2005, 04:34 AM
Intermediate shaft is a shaft that runs off the timing belt (with a big pully) it goes through the engine, and has a gear on the end which turns the oil pump and vacuum pump. So yeah, it's important! There are two bearings inside the block that are like a solid ring, with 2 oil galleries inside of them that need to be lined up.

When my first TD exploded (sort of) last fall, it cracked the cylinder head and chomped up the intermediate shaft bearings. Unfortunately you need a special tool or a lot of luck to put them in, and it was one of the few jobs I outsourced since the rebuild. They had to actually get bearings custom machined as the ones they repeatedly ordered did not fit!

Garry

I read a bit about your intermediate shaft bearing problem. Glad you got it fixed. $30 per bearing wasn't it?

It sounds like these go in like cam bearings in some engines, so that wouldn't be a big deal. I have done that a few times on Deere engines, so I'm familiar with the procedure.

Since you described what it turns, I really need to get a look at how it's all set up. Maybe there is something in those links up above.

As always, thanks for the info.

whitedog
07-10-2005, 04:50 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/glen_ekstrom/crankbreather.jpg

Man, I think you may have me beat for pfoto editing skilz. :)

whitedog
08-10-2005, 03:09 AM
Hmmm well, I'm learning more and more and frankly, I'm kinda getting turned off. Cracked blocks, cracked heads, Crank keyways buggered up.

Maybe I'm reading the worst of the worst though.

I figured that the 1.5 was junk and if this truck had it and it ran, I would just run it until it died then find a 12 MM 1.6, hyd head. But apparently it is prone to cracking across the valves (no big deal) and cracking to the prechambers (a big deal).

So I started looking for something beyond that and and the 1.9 seems to have crank keyway problems. :i_dont_kn

Now, I don't expect a completely trouble-free rig here, but I'm just not sure I want to go through the hassles of "this little problem and that big problem".

I will continue to look and see what it would take to build a furly dependable engine or at least find the right fixes for those niggling little problems.

Advice? Comments? If your comments involve me taking a trip in a handbasket, could you just PM me? :D

whitedog
09-10-2005, 02:26 AM
OK, so I see the fix for the crank keyway is a newer style pulley with some machining required on the crank. If that is a fixed-for-sure fix, then I'm down wit dat.

I mean, I can handle that.

Anyway, I'm certainly not against fixes for the known problems as long as I know about them before hand and know that the fix is a permanent fix rather than a band-aid.

The head cracking thing is kinda bothering me still. Aftermarket heads that address the problem sound like a fix, but it is likely an expensive fix.

No, I'm not sure what my point here is other than to get some things out there to try to remember what I have found.

Thanks for bareing with me. :I

mortskeg
10-10-2005, 11:24 PM
Whitedog-

Yeah, I think that you are pretty much reading the worst of the worst. I never had a problem with the head on my 1.6 or any other problems for that matter, with the exception of the int. shaft bearings starting to make some noise. Other than that it was a very bullet proof engine and could run floored indefinately without overheating and made many trips fully loaded across snoqualmie pass and up the vantage hill on I-90. In over 6 years of vw diesel I've yet to be stranded due to a mechanical problem (not of my own doing). If you want big reliability, decent economy and super cheap replacement parts/ lots of junkyard engines then go for the 8v gas/ bosch mechanical CIS injection. I've done that and it's not a bad route to go but I intend to keep my truck diesel. Just my $.02 :D

As for the photo editing skillz, thanks. It'd be better on my other computer but this one only has ms paint so my options are pretty much limited. hahaha.

whitedog
11-10-2005, 03:49 AM
Gas???

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/timball/spoon.jpg

I'll go with not as good reliability and better fuel economy as well as the possibility of running bio if I so decide. Probably better torque when comparing stock to stock with the gasser.

I like oilburners anyway. :D

mortskeg
11-10-2005, 05:19 AM
Don't get me wrong- the vw diesel is just as reliable if not more so than its gas counterpart. As far as the tourque goes- It's almost a toss up. 71 ft-lbs on a 1.6 diesel at a low 2500 rpm vs the 83 ft-lbs of the 1.6 gasser at 3200. But I'm with you. Just would rather see someone drive vw gas than no vw at all. :D :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/glen_ekstrom/rudolf.jpg

Iowa Caddy
13-10-2005, 05:29 AM
...As far as the tourque goes- It's almost a toss up. 71 ft-lbs on a 1.6 diesel at a low 2500 rpm vs the 83 ft-lbs of the 1.6 gasser at 3200...Just to nit-pick, Mr Bentley says @ 3000 rpm? (2500 rpm for the 1.5) But it's immaterial, since the torque curve is virtually flat from 1200 rpm to 4000 rpm. (http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/SAE/figure_5.jpg , from SAE Paper #820441 here: http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/SAE/vwtdsae.shtml )

Though lower at the peak, that broad "flat" torque curve is why, of course, in real-world, everyday driving the diesel with 52 net bhp performs and feels as strong as (stronger than?) the 78 net bhp petrol with its "pyramid-shaped" torque curve that has less area under the curve in the "normal" rpm range. It's only if the petrol is constantly kept "on the boil" (closer to/at the hp peak) that it will outperform the diesel.

whitedog -- it's patently obvious that you're a prime candidate for (and lusting after???) a TDI-into-Caddy swap. ;) Do it!

whitedog
13-10-2005, 11:51 AM
whitedog -- it's patently obvious that you're a prime candidate for (and lusting after???) a TDI-into-Caddy swap. Do it!

Well, I havne't started looking into it, but now that you mention it, it may be a possibility. I'm not much for swapping this and that or even doing power mods, but maybe it's time I start.

So, I guess now I need to look for others that have done the swap. I'm sure they are out there.

Iowa Caddy
13-10-2005, 05:23 PM
...So, I guess now I need to look for others that have done the swap. I'm sure they are out there.Oh, yeah. :0 It's only one of the most lusted after swaps (at least by the soot-heads :D) here on the forum. ;)

See: http://vwcaddyforum.com/showthread.php?t=5286

whitedog
14-10-2005, 02:29 AM
Oh, yeah. :0 It's only one of the most lusted after swaps (at least by the soot-heads :D) here on the forum. ;)

See: http://vwcaddyforum.com/showthread.php?t=5286

Get that corn-bred Iowa butt out here and I'll show you a Soothead... :(!

:p

Anyway, thanks for the links to links that link to people linking links. It provides lots of great reading. Not sure I Would go for the DBW wire set-up though, so I'm not sure which direction to go. I guess the question I need to find the answer for is when did they start using DBW?

Or maybe it's, Would I have to sacrafice my garage space away from my Jetta to accept a project of this magnitude? I also have things to think about like having two cars torn apart sitting around.

Anyway, thanks for the link. The more I know, the more I think.

whitedog
15-10-2005, 02:04 AM
OT:

I went to add a sig line, and noticed a button at the bottom that said "increase size".

It doesn't work. :cry:

whitedog
15-10-2005, 02:13 AM
I was getting out of my car at work after lunch and noticed a Caddy drive up to the parts door so I walked over to see. Sure enough it was a Diesel. :)

So I went in and started talking with him. He has tried to buy the same truck that I was looking at, but the guy doesn't want to sell. :cry:

He is a landscaping contractor and he has two Caddy smokers that he uses for running around. :td The one he was driving belonged to a guy that I used to work with, etc, etc. Long story there that I will skip, but he has an 82 with the four speed and an 83 rabbit with a five speed and was thinking about swapping in the five speed. That will work right?

I also mentioned the runaway engine thing to him. If I recall correctly from reading here, you should be able to see a baffle when you pull the engine oil fill cap? I pulled it and saw camshaft and a tri-square (or is it dual-hex?) bolt head, so does that mean that he doesn't have the baffle and a runaway is possible?

So two questions: Baffle and Transmission. Any advice?

If you are in the Central Oregon area, maybe he could hook you up with some landscaping cinders...

mortskeg
15-10-2005, 04:02 AM
You're correct, if you can see the cam lobe, then the baffle has yet to be installed. The 4-5spd swap is a worthwhile procedure and there is some good information on the forum. Check it out:

http://vwcaddyforum.com/showthread.php?t=3250

On the engine runaway deal, not having the baffle doesn't mean that your engine will for sure runaway, it is just a preventitive measure to help ensure that it doesn't. Mine would not have had the runaway problem if it hadn't already been hosed (timing belt slippage) but the runaway problem put the fork in my 1.6.

http://vwcaddyforum.com/showthread.php?t=4113

Hope this helps.

Iowa Caddy
15-10-2005, 04:07 AM
Re: oil baffle & diesel runaway -- Morts has already given ya' the link to the good stuff earlier in post #6. I think the info is all in there.

If both of your buddy's vw's are stock, the trannies will be an easy swap. Some of the shift linkage bits will have to be swapped too -- the condensed version is in post #15 on this thread: http://vwcaddyforum.com/showthread.php?t=6319 . And just for you, it has more "links to links that link to people linking links". (Some time this winter I've gotta' gather and edit all that scattered and barely-readable linkage/adjustment/tranny-interchange info into a more usable "How-To".)

Get that corn-bred Iowa butt out here and I'll show you a Soothead... :(! Relax. Take a deep breath and stop your hyper-ventilating before you have a stroke. ;) I'm not a diesel-hater -- I'm on record here on the forum as having said "...I've thought that my perfect in-town daily driver would be a Caddy with a TDI, backed by a modern 4-speed automatic..." :thumbs_up And make that corn-fed, please.

BTW, is "German Transaxle" still in business in town? Or were they over in BlueJean? :i_dont_kn I got my first 020 ratio chart from them a coupla' a decades ago --decent and knowledgeable blokes, they were.

edit: There ya' go again morts -- posting while I'm composing. Will you please stop that?!? :D :D

whitedog
15-10-2005, 09:26 PM
BTW, is "German Transaxle" still in business in town? Or were they over in BlueJean? I got my first 020 ratio chart from them a coupla' a decades ago --decent and knowledgeable blokes, they were.

They are still in town, just a different part of town. They expanded probably 10 years ago.

whitedog
15-10-2005, 09:55 PM
Morts,
http://vwcaddyforum.com/showthread.php?t=4113 That's where I first read about it, so My double checking is working fine. Is it possible to cut a hole in the baffle to make it easier to fill with oil?

Also, I don't understand the hose thing. How does that help?

For the swap, since he has a donor, it's just a matter of pulling the linkage and the trans and moving everything over, Right? Sounds so simple that even a Cat mechanic could handle it.

mortskeg
16-10-2005, 12:01 AM
I suppose that you could cut a hole in the baffle that would hold a standard quart size oil container upside-down, though it's not too much of a pain to fill when the baffle is installed, you just can't dump it in quite as fast. The split breather allows excess oil to return to the bottom of the engine instead of forcing it to be injested into the intake system and burning it. At least that's my understanding of it. Not all the linkage parts on the 4 speed pickup are obsolete, just most of them. Check out the 4-5speed topic for a list of what parts you need to do the swap correctly. I thought the cat dealer was in redmond. Or is there one in bend too? Hope this helps.

mortskeg
16-10-2005, 12:02 AM
edit: There ya' go again morts -- posting while I'm composing. Will you please stop that?!? :D :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/glen_ekstrom/bang.jpg

:D :D :D :td

whitedog
16-10-2005, 02:52 PM
I thought the cat dealer was in redmond. Or is there one in bend too? Hope this helps.

The Cat dealer is in Redmond.

Buuut...

Pape, (who used to own the Cat dealerships in Oregon) has bought the Deere dealerships in most of Oregon, & Washington & Nothern California. Then he sold the Cat dealerships to Peterson.

So, now the Deere dealership (where I have worked for the past 12 years) is now owned by the people that used to own the Cat dealership. Yes, there is a bit if roughness at times.

And, your help is spectacular.