PDA

View Full Version : Texas Rabbit

rvitko
13-09-2005, 03:16 AM
Just wanted to say hi and show off my project as it stands now. I hope to finish the painting this week, it has since been primered.

caddyshack
13-09-2005, 09:43 AM
Welcome matey, I cant believe how many new faces are appearing on the forum and nearly every one of them is re-painting etc...excellent news...now get back to work on it! lol

rvitko
13-09-2005, 11:01 PM
Thanks! I had it completely apart and so far have rebuilt the suspension and brakes but I still need to paint and redo the interior, gaskets, glass and engine. The entire underside engine compartment and interior have been sprayed with bedliner to help reduce noise and I have installed some 1" foam/vinyl/ mylar insulation inside as well and found a late 80's cabriolet heat shield fits on the firewall. I am trying to build a very utilitarian vehicle, quiet, comfortable and useful for hauling stuff.

WhiteRabbit
13-09-2005, 11:42 PM
Hey there-
I was thinkin of Dynamating under all my carpet and inside the door skins> think it worse than rhyno lining?

rvitko
14-09-2005, 04:20 AM
I sprayed the engine compartment, undercarriage and interior with ProTex epoxy bedliner by SEM. I looked at Dynamat but from reading quite a bit on the web they said that products like bedliner bind to the metal and prevent vibration, they increase the rigidity. Dynamat just absorbs it. I did add the pads in the interior as I stripped the original sound deadening in my prep. I didn't use dynamat but I found in JC Whittneys these pads that are a layer of foam, a thick pad of vinyl and more foam, topped with mylar. These line the interior firewall and floor pans. As I said, when strolling a junk yard I found a modern fiberglass and aluminum firewall pad for the engine compartment on a 87 cabriolet. It even had a heat shield for the brake line and was a perfect fit. I am trying everything because when I had my caddy running I had two main gripes- 65 mph was redlining in 5th gear and the thing was loud. I am also changing every single seal and gasket. For the power I am adding almost 2" to the wheel diameter and a 1.6TD with a progressive propane injection and a KN intake and 2.25" SS exhaust. I have lots of pics, but I need to photshop them to size so I can post them.

mortskeg
15-09-2005, 05:18 AM
Sounds like a nice rebuild. Check out Darth Garry's website (notinteresting.com) and you'll see some extensive dynamatting in action which has done well to cut down on the sound (I know first hand).

Also, rvitko, I know what you mean about the rpm noise. Putting a tall ratio'd 5 speed in my truck is the best thing that I have done to it. After having a '84 gti and my diesel pickup with a GC 4 speed, I vowed to never again buy a car with a close ratio'd gearbox. Switching my 4 out for an ACH 5 did the trick ( I have a FO 5 speed now) and the junkers are so full of vw trannys that I'm sure that they are pretty cheap to get. Check out VWCaddy's Caddy shack site and this table if you're looking for what trans has a good tall 5 speed.

http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/VW_020_transmission.shtml

Hope this helps. :cheers:

Darth Garry
15-09-2005, 12:20 PM
I've had good luck with the "FN" code trannies myself. They're geared for diesel.

Garry

rvitko
15-09-2005, 01:22 PM
Thanks guys, that was something I had considered but had some reservations about the quality of the box, seeing as I know mine works. I also had to search pretty far and wide to find the switch for mine (back up lights) as the original drive train was replaced with one from an 83' rabbit and I had to figure out how to make the backup lights work again. I will look into it, sounds like a good idea.

rvitko
01-10-2005, 04:45 AM
Here is a link to my site, I have pics of the progress, got it painted last week. I picked up an FN transaxle last week. I have been working on the interior, waiting until my buffer comes so I can rub out the imperfections in the clear coat.

rvitko
01-10-2005, 04:48 AM
Doh! forgot the link

http://homepage.mac.com/rogervitko/PhotoAlbum12.html