PDA

View Full Version : Hello all

dslcaddy
04-08-2005, 03:14 AM
I am a new member and a three time caddy owner. I had two awile back and sold them off. Thought I would never come across another one, and was reading thru the local paper and there she was.... a 1980 diesel needing some engine work. After a peek at her in the dark and a offer for $200, she drove home and is now a new member of what my wife calls my yard ornaments. The last owner put a new battery in her, rebuilt the injectors, put on a new master cylinder, and 4 brand new steel belted radials.. I couldn't pass her up. Body is straight, no rust, sliding rear window, and the interior is original. I installed a set of factory rails on her (I have been keeping for this occasion). All I have to do now is get the engine running a little better. I might even give her a wax job. I will get some pics posted of her soon. I just wanted to say hello to all and hope to chat. : :D

Iowa Caddy
04-08-2005, 04:45 AM
Welcome, dslcaddy -- sounds like you got a good deal. Third time's a charm, you know -- better keep this one, as good 'uns are getting hard to find. You've got some fellow Evergreen State regulars here on the forum. What part do you hail from?

dslcaddy
04-08-2005, 04:49 AM
Southeastern part of the state. Little town of Touchet.

CrazyCaddy
04-08-2005, 10:33 AM
hey :thumbs_up welcome, be nice to see some pics too :td

Morninglight
05-08-2005, 07:43 AM
Looks like a good deal then :)

Show us the pics 8D

Iowa Caddy
09-08-2005, 05:15 AM
"Little town of Touchet." Hmmmm, not too far from Pomeroy, eh? Got any smoke in your eyes then? http://www.klewtv.com/x5781.xml?ParentPageID=x5649&ContentID=x67531&Layout=KLEW.xsl&AdGroupID=x5781

Simply lovely country, the Palouse. Pity the damage.

mortskeg
09-08-2005, 05:37 AM
Southeastern part of the state. Little town of Touchet.
A little futher east on 12 then I usually go but I've been known to frequent the tri-cities and have been thru touch-it. :D Gleaner country down there. Sounds like you've got a steal there, and a keeper. Even if the engine is hosed, swaping in another diesel is easy enough. Welcome to the forum and keep us updated. :thumbs_up

Iowa Caddy
09-08-2005, 06:01 AM
What?!? It's not French??? ;) ( Two-shay ) :i_dont_kn

edit -- added the following later:

I was being facetious. Thought it probably is pronounced "Touch-it" -- a not-uncommon characteristic of small rural towns to be corrupted from their original name-sake. Got to thinking that there probably wasn't much (any?) French influence there -- un-like here from the resident voyaguers/fur-traders before and after the Louisiana Purchase.

Did a quick google and discovered maybe it is Two-shay??? But from the Nez Perce, not the French.

(From "A Lasting Legacy: The Lewis and Clark Place Names of the Pacific Northwest—Part IV")

"Touchet River

"The river was unmarked on the route map and was first referred to as "a branch of the Wallahwallah river" in the journals. The course of the river was followed by the corps on their cross-country shortcut to the "Kooskooski River"; they named it "Wh(ite) Stallion River" when they reached a fork in the drainage. The captains intended their river names to be attached to the entire watercourse, from the head of the drainage to its mouth. The river was probably named for the white stallion given to Clark by Chief Yel-lep-pet. There is no indication in the journals of the captains' derivation for the name. The overland "Route to Kooskooke" was not marked on Clark's map of 1814, but is represented by a dotted line on their route map. Again, an indication of their focus on water courses for future transportation needs.

"The course the expedition followed was an ancient Indian trail known as the Nez Perce Trail to Celilo Falls. 'The route was called the Overland Trail by fur traders, miners, military, stockman, settlers, and other frontiersmen. The present place name derived from the Nez Perce word "Tu-se,' meaning "roasting." Legend had Coyote roasting salmon on the river after he broke the fish dam guarded by the five Swallow Sisters at Celilo. Touchet has been anglicized [too-shee] to its present form, leading to confusion for its supposed French Canadian fur trader connection."

très, très interesting :)

(From http://www.washingtonhistory.org/wshm/lewisandclark/lasting_legacy_pt4.htm )

mortskeg
09-08-2005, 03:54 PM
Yep, I'm pretty sure that it's not touch it but just putting a different spin on the ol pronunciation. :D

Darth Garry
09-08-2005, 04:58 PM
Welcome to the forum man! Any fellow diesel heads are always welcome :)

Garry