PDA

View Full Version : First Caddy - first problem

early_911
25-07-2005, 03:05 PM
Bought my first caddy yesterday for 360 (it was on E-bay). 1.6 diesel with a leaking water pump. Pretty tidy, but far from concours.

Driving it home last night at around 70 mph :rolleyes: (with about 1/2 ton of spare water in the back to keep filling her up on the way home) and bang the engine rev's hit max, switch off and roll to a stop. What have I done?

Call the AA and they tell me the soonest they can pick me up is 1am (it's 10:30pm). Father comes out a tows me the remaining 40miles.

Want to sort and and will, because whilst it was running it was great. Any idea what's gone wrong (cam belt :i_dont_kn ).

Phil

caddyshack
25-07-2005, 03:50 PM
I have a free engine 1.6 PETROL in the for sale section....free to a good home.

If it went to max revs sounds more like clutch or drive shafts etc to me...does it still run now?

Morninglight
25-07-2005, 04:02 PM
Take off the beltcover and have a look if the belt is still ok first.. I don't think it is belt related but it's always good to check your belt every once in a while ;)

Could be a clutch or broken axlejoint prob.. but it is strange that the engine doesn't run anymore then :screwy:

early_911
25-07-2005, 05:33 PM
I very briefly turned it over (i.e. 1 sec) . . . but didn't want to go any further (because it was dark and I was scared :cry: ) . . . I'll have a look tonight if I ever get away from work.

I did think of your engine . . . been lurking on here for a while. Might take you up on it . . . only thing is, I'm in Norfolk.

Hopefully I haven't f+cked it :bh

Phil

early_911
25-07-2005, 05:35 PM
PS - thanks for the support guys . . . nice forum :thumbs_up

CADDY-SPORT
26-07-2005, 11:06 AM
Hey Early 911

Do you have an early 911?

I have a 1966 SWB 2.0l FIA car. It is undergoing a bit of a rebuild at the mo.

Al
26-07-2005, 01:47 PM
Sounds like the governor on the fuel pump got stuck B)

veedubjoe
26-07-2005, 05:47 PM
you didn't buy it from another_white_mug by any chance did you? The first thing to check for is oil in the air filter, as If you overfill a diesel it will chuck lots of oil up into the air filter and as soon as it sucks the oil into the combustion chambers then it will over-rev and very often the engine will then self consume, which basically means it will over-rev and consume all of the oil until the engine blows up. Not Good. This is the main reason for a diesel to over-rev, sam applies if you get white spirit or such like in the intake manifold. Did the engine start to knock before it over-reved?
Another possibilty could be a problem with the injector pump but that is much less likely. Did the engine switch off as soon as you turned the key or did you have to stall it, because when a diesel consumes itself it won't turn off unless you stall it.

early_911
27-07-2005, 09:16 AM
Well . . . fired her up (checked belt), and after a ton of smoke, she seems to run okay :) .

Looks like the accelerator peddle may have got jammed as it was loose, but note your suggestions and will check.

Took the water pump off last night and am now on the hunt for a replacement if anyone's got one? (no way of replacing the seal?).

CADDY-SPORT - Yes I've got an early 911 (1971 2.2 T with about 28K miles under it's belt). I actually run the register for Porsche Club GB (but please don't hold that against me). Good to meet up at some point.

Phil

Early-1800
27-07-2005, 11:55 AM
New pumps are only @20 ish from all the main suppliers (Euro car parts, GSF etc). Get the full one, not just the impellor bit, if you try to replace just the impellor the bolts aways snap off and you end up buying the full jobbie anyway.

One advantage of running a diesel VW compared to the 911, cheapish and widely available parts?

A friend of mine works in the haulage business, his old boss had one of the 1st 1500 diesel Golfs (1977/78 ) and that would rev it self up on the fumes from the oil as the engine got worn abit.

caddyshack
27-07-2005, 03:57 PM
I have an '84 Carrera 3.2 and belong to Porsche GB too, I also have a 996 cab but dont hold that against me! (not exactly early 911 but the 84 is now 21 yrs old!)

early_911
27-07-2005, 04:13 PM
Weird how people are attracted to the same (but different) cars.

Got a pump from GSF at lunchtime for 29(inc) :D . . . plus a 2nd hand one (for the nuts on the pulley) for 3.

Sorted . . . . only thing is . . . it's raining.

Here's my 911

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/early911/asppg_Ki1863433661.jpg

P4ulo
28-07-2005, 08:32 AM
Aww, thats a beauty.

How much is one of them, can I exchange my caddy for one? lol

early_911
28-07-2005, 09:35 AM
Actually might have to sell it (911) as buying a house tomorrow and I'm skint.

The caddy is sorted, fitted the pump last night (in the rain) and she's running great. The air filter defo needs replacing mind you (another trip to GSF I feel). Brought it to work today and the general concensus is that I'm mad 8D .

Oh well.

Phil

CADDY-SPORT
28-07-2005, 11:57 AM
Very nice 911.

P4ulo, I got mine as a ropey runner for 5k. It has no interior except the bucket seats and rollcage. Early 911's car would sell for about 8-10k if it is as good as it looks in the picture.

early_911
28-07-2005, 01:26 PM
8-10k

It's true you can get them for that . . . but having just 28K miles (original paint etc) on the clock does make mine a little more expensive :I . I bought it 3 years ago with 13K miles for more that double your top estimate (and I'm still paying for it - but could recoup most of my 'investment').

For example I know of an early, early 1965 2lt that's just been sold for 30,000. All comes down to condition really. S's regaulary go for over 20K (and not perfect).

Hang of to your early 911 - prices are always creeping up.

Phil

caddyshack
28-07-2005, 03:57 PM
Nice early porker..

Here is mine... also one of the other rear engined cars lol

early_911
29-07-2005, 08:20 AM
Caddyshack . . . that's a mean looking garage in the background (car's not bad either ;) )

My problem persists . . . . on the way home last night, travelling as fast as I could, the engine suddenly decided to go to max rev's uncontrollably (the engine started to knock before it over-reved BTW). Switch off the ignition and the engine still rev'ed for a few seconds. I think that 'veedubjoe' has hit the nail on the head. The air filter is covered in oil. Managed to get it home (on tow) and once cold, started her up again (she's starting to smoke from the exhaust - must be getting fed up with all this max reving pants). When she's running there's oil vapour coming from the breather (the pipe that comes from the rocker cover to air filter box) . . . so I'm assuming the engine is knackered (piston rings???). As a temp/permanent fix, could I replace the filter, disconnect the breather (i.e. to a bottle), and add some Wynns engine stuff to the oil, and pray???

If it does it again . . . how to I stall it as 'veedubjoe' Joe suggests . . . travelling at 40-70mph??? (i.e. to stop it reving even with the ignition off).

Phil

Darth Garry
29-07-2005, 04:10 PM
Usually oil in the air filter does point to "knackered" rings, although it could also be valve seals. But either way, you're looking at a bit of work, although an in frame rebuild can be done in a day easily.

Mortskeg had the same issue, and it was resolved via a several part process.

1) Put an oil baffle underneath the valve cover. It's a piece of plastic that deflects the oil so it doesen't shoot up the breather pipe.
2) Get a breather oil drain
3) Split the breather pipe and run it into the plate in the block next to the vacuum pipe. You can ask Mortskeg for photos of this, as I don't have any.

The breather oil drain looks like a disk on top of the breather pipe, kind of like this:

http://www.notinteresting.com/photoalbum/050327truckdoza/P3270074.JPG

artry
29-07-2005, 09:21 PM
Nice early porker..

Here is mine... lol
finally a car i'd trade my caddy for!

stunning Portia's both!

early_911
02-08-2005, 09:30 AM
Did a search and there's a picture here:

http://vwcaddyforum.com/showthread.php?t=4113

CADDY-SPORT
02-08-2005, 02:13 PM
Hey Early 911

Any chance I could give you a chassis number from my 911. I need a proper date of birth for the car as I suspect it could be a 1965 rather than 66.

Ta

sorry to hijack the thread a bit there!

early_911
02-08-2005, 02:25 PM
Sure thing . . . e-mail it to 911@porscheclubgb.com

veedubjoe
02-08-2005, 06:16 PM
If it does it again . . . how to I stall it as 'veedubjoe' Joe suggests . . . travelling at 40-70mph??? (i.e. to stop it reving even with the ignition off).

The only way you are gonna stall itif you are going that fast is to brake as hard as you can, leave it in top and as you slow to a halt it will kill the engine. That the only problem with diesels. When it over-revs at high speed it puts you knee deep in the brown stuff.

I had this problem a few weeks ago when I was working on a Mitubishi L200. The intercooler had a little oil in it, so I took it off, filled it up with white spirit and put a blow torch to the end of it to burn it out. I thought I had burnt all of the white spirit, cos I couldn't see any left. I put it back on and started her up, and after a few seconds it knocked like a bitch and started to over rev, so ultra quick thinking, i chucked her in first and let the clutch up quick to stall it.

Started it up again and it was fine, hadn't damaged the engine fortunately, it was a 2 year old 12,000 truck!

Think it may be time for a rebuild if you're getting that much oil past the rings. not expensive to rebuild anyway the old 1.6 n/a.

early_911
19-08-2005, 08:58 AM
An update . . . .

Replaced air filter and attached a second breather (off the first) . . . and she runs fine. Smoke on start up has settled down. Doesn't like starting from luke warn (only cool or hot) . . but hey.

No more sudden engine reving antics :angel: .

I'm lovin it.