PDA

View Full Version : Which caddy and why?

regcheeseman
11-07-2005, 11:28 AM
Hello,

I'm seriously thinking about getting a Caddy but am unsure which to get or particular things to look out for.

As a VW man - I have a slammed T4 on 17s at the mo. I have always had a soft spot for MK1 golfs but need a pick-up for practicality.

If I get a MK1, what do I look out for?

Any tip and hints would be great.

Jimmy
11-07-2005, 06:51 PM
diesel if you want mpg, petrols arent exactly thirsty either tho......sports are rare and the price reflects this - you wouldnt want to wreck one thru using it as a workhorse. 5spd 'boxes are easy to come by and fit - prob the first thing anyone should consider doing. look out for the dreaded tinworm in the usual areas - rear acrches, bed, around the front and rear screens, strut turrets, sills - usual procedure for looking at anything that is aging and has been used as a workhorse.

Darth Garry
12-07-2005, 01:04 AM
You can't get more practical than a Diesel!

Garry

regcheeseman
14-07-2005, 10:56 AM
look out for the dreaded tinworm in the usual areas - rear acrches, bed, around the front and rear screens, strut turrets, sills - usual procedure for looking at anything that is aging and has been used as a workhorse.

Are most of these areas easy sorted, replacement panels readily available?

Can you fit a motocross bike or two in the back of the caddy or do you have to drop the tailgate?

I need a workhorse but I don't want a shed!

After suffering a non-turbo oil burner for years I think I would be going for a petrol.

artry
15-07-2005, 12:46 AM
After suffering a non-turbo oil burner for years I think I would be going for a petrol.

...Alas suffer in this world or in the next.

ha ha I'm with Garry

caddyshack
15-07-2005, 02:05 PM
I think you would need to drop the tail down to hold 2 crossers but it would take it.

My wheels would rub with 2 bikes in the back as mine is lowered as many are (flipped axle)

I am looking to add Rayvern pump up bags on the rear leaves and pump them up only when carrying weight.

If you are not looking to do any bodywork then just find the best, non rusty caddy and swap the motor if needed,,, plenty will fit and then the fun begins.

regcheeseman
15-08-2005, 09:58 AM
I'm back...

Been prepping my t4 for sale and now that is done, I'm looking to spend the money on a caddy.

I've taken it onboard about the diesel and the missus says it's ok if I get a practical car (densil) but the 2 litre petrol seems sooo tempting!

I thought that crossers may have to ride on the 'gate, which is a bit of a pain - is the tailgate up to it?

Interesting what you say about rubbing with a load on, as I intend to lower the van this could be a problem. Do you have a axle flip or lowering blocks as well?

Find the best non-rusty caddy! Is this some sort of joke for a newbie! ;)

Would be quite at home stripping a van to chassis and doing all from scratch - I'm quite used to projects of this magnitude.

But I'm also quite tempted with the idea of doing a modern caddy - somethiong a bit different, like when I did my t4 years ago, no-one had one, now they are everywhere. Well everywhere, down here in the REAL uk surf capital. :D