PDA

View Full Version : Ive got the caddy bug!

macetheace
24-06-2005, 01:46 AM
Hi I'm new to this forum, this being my first post!
Ive been looking at a new car recently and having seen a mk1 caddy a while ago I want one really badly! :0
I currently drive a fiat coupe 20vt but Ive been banned from driving for two months for speeding again!! :I
Ive got to sell her due to running costs and my new insurance premium (not cheap being grp 19!)
Ive always loved VW's, my best mate has a 15 window splitty which I love :p

Basically I want to know (as I dont know much about the caddy) what should I expect to pay for an average condition mk1 caddy? Anything major I should look out for?

Thanks for any advice you guys can offer

Chris

dub-ha8
24-06-2005, 02:42 PM
Welcome dude and the only advise I have when buying a caddy is make sure it has a rust and dent free bed and tailgate and spend as much as you can in the begining on the best shell as your be changing everything else :thumbs_up

Just check them over as you would when buying any car. Hotspots are underneath at the rear where the spare wheel goes, years of mud rotting the bed away :cry: Rear corners and the arches, blocked drain holes rotting the bed corners, just work your way round it and be willing to travel to find the right one ( that right Jimmy :D :thumbs_up )

Prices start from 450 to 1000 for a very good base.

Welcome to a love that you will never be able to let go :music:

caddyshack
24-06-2005, 03:48 PM
Dub Ha8 is bang on

yeah look out for anything with a truckman top or bed liner as they trap water, make sure you remove them and have a look.

Also look in the For Sale section on this site!

P4ulo
24-06-2005, 09:04 PM
Hi I'm new to this forum, I currently drive a fiat coupe 20vt but Ive been banned from driving for two months for speeding again!! :I
Ive got to sell her due to running costs and my new insurance premium (not cheap being grp 19!)

With you there bro, our family car was a 16vt Coupe. Great car, but once the running costs starting going up, we got rid.

Caddy are great, make sure you look for the following areas of rust;

Under the rear window and around the front screen.
Doors, and Pillars.
Wings and inner wings.
Rear wings.
BED.
You want a straight tailgate and a flat rear bed.
Most of the other parts are available as pattern or Genuine parts. I struggled with a pattern front wing, which was a right bitch. Go genuine if you can afford it.

Anyway, tips - Make sure the base is good. Collect chrome bits.
Go retro.

Whatever you do, do it well and don't forget the fun of the coupe....It just got better.
Paulo.

macetheace
12-07-2005, 10:47 PM
Ive been looking at a few caddys recently to buy as Ive sold my coop now.
Im looking at spending about a grand on a base for ym project.
Only thing is im getting confused with the different models? sounds stupid i know but is there different front ends i.e golf/polo?
Also is there somewhere i can find all the different models of the caddy and years made etc.

Cheers guys, Ill be soon caddy'in it up too :D

Chris

P4ulo
13-07-2005, 09:29 PM
there are 3 main types of caddy.

Mk1 - Same shape as mk1 five door Golf at front, even front doors are the same.
Some in 3 types - 1.6d, 1.6 pierburg carb Petrol, 1.8 gti.

Mk2 - pickup. borrows soem bits from the mk4 polo front end.
Mk2 - Van. You know, it looks like a van. Same front end as the above, with polo bits n' pieces. I think they come in 1.6 petrol, 1.6d and 1.9 diesel, but I'm not sure....

Just buy one and stop fannying around.
1k will see you buying a good base, but keep back a load to slam and give it some nice boots!!

macetheace
14-07-2005, 02:03 PM
Ive been to look at a couple of caddys but they were in really rough condition.
Are the bonnets different depending on what kind it is?
I really want a mk1 golf front end, are these hard to come by :i_dont_kn

Ive been watching this one on ebay caddy sport (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4561394967&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT)
What do you think to this and what kind of front end are the sports?

Sorry for the questions

Cheers Chris

P4ulo
14-07-2005, 09:33 PM
Basic underneath of the sports are the same as the mk1 golf 5 door.

The bodykit itself is hard to get hold of and rare, sounds like it has a crack in the front bumper, but a good bodyshop can work with fibreglass.

The sport you are watching does seem like a good buy.
Make sure you ask him about rust anywhere else if you have time. Doors, wings, under both screens and on in the rear arches......

But, if it goes for under 600 its not a bad price.
Best thing with a sport is to go all the way back to a plain white, that way it will look stock and super clean!!! 'Ave it!!

ps - if it turns out to be a dog, please don't blame me. The engine has got a lot of miles on it......