PDA

View Full Version : Hello...

Wagenryder
19-02-2005, 05:21 AM
from Wise County, Texas. I just inherited a 1980 gas powered Caddy. Can't recall the last time I'd seen one of these.

Had to get this one out of impound up in Michigan. Despite sitting for almost two months it fired right up. Thought I was gonna sell it, but since it was one of the few things my dad left behind I've decided to keep it and trade in my 95 Ford Ranger.

First thing I've noticed is that getting parts is gonna be a chore. Having a hard time locating the tail-light lenses, which has kept me from being able to register it here at home.

The other thing is that it got great mileage on the trip down, despite having a problem with #3 cylinder not firing.

I'm looking for input on restoration, sources for parts, and suggestions on upgrading the engine, more for economy than power. I know I have rings to do, but appreciate any insight that might be offered.

Regards.

H2O WERKS
20-02-2005, 10:14 PM
Where abouts is Wise County? I'm in Tom Green County...or more specifically San Angelo. Welcome to the boards.

xflowgolf
21-02-2005, 08:02 PM
you went to Michigan to find a truck and you're in Texas?? lol

I'm from Michigan and I wish i could get one from down south where there's no salt used!

got any pics. :) welcome aboard.

Wagenryder
21-02-2005, 09:20 PM
quote:Originally posted by H2O WERKS

Where abouts is Wise County? I'm in Tom Green County...or more specifically San Angelo. Welcome to the boards.

Wise is NW of Tarrant. Decatur, Boyd, Bridgeport area. Do you have a good source for parts down at San Angelo? I get down to Stephenville and Brownwood fairly often, so it wouldn't be much out of the way.

Wagenryder
21-02-2005, 09:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by xflowgolf

you went to Michigan to find a truck and you're in Texas?? lol

I'm from Michigan and I wish i could get one from down south where there's no salt used!

got any pics. :) welcome aboard.

No pics yet. This one is copper colored with cream colored striping on hood and down sides. Very little rust, one minor ding and the bumpers will need straightening. Camper shell. Pretty sure this one came from Washington state and hadn't been in Michigan for a winter. I suppose they use salt in the Northwest, too.

Darth Garry
22-02-2005, 04:50 AM
If you want economy put a diesel in it!

Welcome to the forum bro!

Garry

Diesel
23-02-2005, 04:28 AM
Yup, disel's the way to go for economy. Welcome to the forum. The admin for this site sells new taillight lenses that look very sweet. Couple of bucks, but mighty nice!

H2O WERKS
01-03-2005, 02:01 AM
quote:Originally posted by Wagenryder

quote:Originally posted by H2O WERKS

Wise is NW of Tarrant. Decatur, Boyd, Bridgeport area. Do you have a good source for parts down at San Angelo? I get down to Stephenville and Brownwood fairly often, so it wouldn't be much out of the way.

No Caddy parts around here...or MKI for that matter. I have had some luck at FM600 Wrecking in Abilene. For new parts check MJM Autohaus at 210-dub-part (210-382-7278) or sales@mjmautohaus.com

Good folks to deal with and based in San Antonio.

Do you plan on making the Bug-in on April 3rd at the Motorplex? I may race the GTI...or just chill in the show with the Caddy.

Wagenryder
01-03-2005, 11:36 PM
[/quote]

Do you plan on making the Bug-in on April 3rd at the Motorplex? I may race the GTI...or just chill in the show with the Caddy.

[/quote]

Didn't know about the BugIn, but sure would be interested. Is that the Southwest version down to Ennis at the Motorplex? I went there way back in '88 and had a blast.

Al
01-03-2005, 11:46 PM
Did you manage to sort your tail lights Wagenryder?

Wagenryder
02-03-2005, 02:47 AM
quote:Originally posted by Admin

Did you manage to sort your tail lights Wagenryder?

Sure did! Got the pair for as much as one would have cost at the VW dealership.

Al
02-03-2005, 04:05 AM
cool:)

H2O WERKS
02-03-2005, 10:57 AM
quote:Originally posted by Wagenryder

[/quote]

Didn't know about the BugIn, but sure would be interested. Is that the Southwest version down to Ennis at the Motorplex? I went there way back in '88 and had a blast.
[/quote]

Yes...that's the one. I attended my first one in '89 :D