PDA

View Full Version : hello from the cold northeast

mzkmn71
29-12-2004, 02:02 PM
hello everyone,
i hope to be new to this scene, but i am certianly not new to vw's. I am actively looking for one of you fine automobiles to keep me warm here in Connecticut. My daily driver is a 71 bus - full westy conversion. I am looking to swap this for a decent 'caddy' with a shell over the bed. i am tired of being cold and underpowered (57 hp right now - eep!) so if any of you have any interest in air cooled vw's, let me know, but only if you want to swap!

also, this is important! how well are these little trucks suited for sleeping in? i do a lot of festival hopping as well as general camping, and want a large enough bed (im 5 '10) in the back to sleep/nap in sometimes... usually with a friend! *wink wink* :D

thanks for all your help

mzkmn71
31-12-2004, 08:32 AM
hello? i dont bite, honest...

tekton
31-12-2004, 12:46 PM
Welcome! This isn't the busiest section of the forums. You'll fit in the back of the truck fine, and so long as everything mechanical is in order you'll marvel at the heating abilities (had a 68 bug for 5 years so I'm feelin' ya on the heat.) Check craigs list, the autotrader, and the local paper for deals. You may be able to find a fixer for dirt cheap.

Darth Garry
22-01-2005, 07:48 PM
Hey man! Welcome to the forum.

First off - The VW Pickup heat will knock your socks off. Imagine all of the heat of a watercooled sedan, but it only needs to heat 1/3 of the interior volume because there's no back seats!

Second - The bed situation. I'm 6' even. I barely fit lengthwize. What I do is put a twin sized mattress in the back, and me and my fiance can both fit in rather comfortably. My head hits the bulkhead and my feet touch the tailgate, it's exactly 6' so I tend to sleep on my side and curl up a little bit, but it is comfortable, but when we're not at a rest stop, we usually leave the tailgate open anyways so that illeviates that problem. For my trip next year I'm building a sort of tent that goes off the back so we'll have a little extra room to change and stuff.

Anyways, here's what the truck looked like in it's "camper mode"

http://www.notinteresting.com/trips/crosscountry/grandcanyon/P6250053.JPG

Here's what it looked like inside:

http://www.notinteresting.com/trips/crosscountry/painteddesert/P6240057.JPG

And *wink wink* here's what she looks like now!

http://www.notinteresting.com/photoalbum/041031sportruck/PA300102.JPG

The pickup makes a great camp mobile, especially a diesel! We drove across the country with here fully loaded with cap, 7500 miles on $270 in gas (albeit 2002 when gas was cheap), averaging 42MPG! The truck is currently in mid restoration, with a turbo diesel engine nearly complete.

As far as the cap goes, good luck finding another one of them. It's custom I think. I've only ever seen one other one remotely like it on Ebay. If you find a truck, I do have a halfway decent fiberglass cap with a slightly raised ceiling that I'd sell dirt cheap(like $50) if you need it.

Good luck with the search!

Garry

mortskeg
24-01-2005, 11:31 AM
Dang! Now that my truck is getting close to being kinda "dun" till the 1.9 (whenever that may be) your awesome capzilla pics are making me want to get out there and do some work on my canopy. Still on the quest for a front rubber seal but I have a lead that I never followed up on.

Welcome, mzkmn71. Don't feel bad, I'm rockin 48hp myself.