PDA

View Full Version : Hello from NorthEast USA

dieselman
21-10-2004, 07:39 AM
I'm a newbie to the chat site. Have been driving diesel VW's for over 20 years. More recently, my daily driver has been a 81 rabbit pickup I salvaged from E-bay. I'm interested in selling some "parts" specifically related to diesels and pickups. I have original diesel grill, rear window, rear tail lights, fuel tanks, transmissions, and wiring harnesses, etc. Having raised two kids, and keeping them "driving" caused me to part out several cars.

kevlar
21-10-2004, 02:04 PM
welcome mate :)

unfortunately the classifieds are down at the moment but i'm sure from this post that if people see that they could email you to find out with what you have :D

gocaddygo
26-10-2004, 08:50 AM
In the etc..... section do you happen to have an instrument cluster that has a working odometer?

Darth Garry
27-10-2004, 03:03 AM
Welcome to the forum man! Another point for the Dark Side! Your Jedi Training can begin immediately.

Garry

P4ulo
28-10-2004, 03:39 AM
Hi Friend, welcome to the forum, please enjoy our plentiful spread of knowledge and wisdom. (and hilarious jokes!!!)

ps - Drop the diesel now, and become a REAL man. (I'm only joking, you go man!!!)

Darth Garry
28-10-2004, 07:42 AM
Keep the diesel, don't listen to him. Where in teh NE are you? I'm in Saratoga, NY.

Garry

dieselman
31-10-2004, 09:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by gocaddygo

In the etc..... section do you happen to have an instrument cluster that has a working odometer?

Hello mate. Yes, I have two instrument clusters. Both are US, '81-84' vintage. The '81 is the diesel version with 261K miles. The '84 has the "up-shift" light, with 138K miles. Unfortnately, the '84 has a crack front plastic. All are in working order. Let me know if you are interested. I can take pic's. Give me an offer.

dieselman
31-10-2004, 09:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by Darth Garry

Keep the diesel, don't listen to him. Where in teh NE are you? I'm in Saratoga, NY.

Garry

Rochester, NY. Keep those Diesel's running!

Darth Garry
31-10-2004, 10:55 PM
quote:

Rochester, NY. Keep those Diesel's running!

That's not much of a task, considering that... They're Diesels!

Haha, Rochester's a hop, skip, and a jump from Albany. Welcome again!

Garry

USAJon
01-12-2004, 12:01 PM
bought a 1980 diesel caddy 1 week ago 237K miles $900.00 cash been driveing every day...it rolls...

Franxcaddy
01-12-2004, 06:31 PM
hey there welcome to the group

gocaddygo
09-12-2004, 09:12 AM
My cluster has good plastic but the odometer is toast, maybe I can do something with the '84. Would you mind e-mailing a pic of the 84 with the cracked plastic?

Anyone ever been able to swap pieces of instrument clusters and come out with a working one?

Someone had advised me previously to check if VDO still fixes the odometers, that would be a longer lasting fix. Anyone with info/thoughts?

mortskeg
09-12-2004, 11:48 AM
Hey gocaddygo,
Don't give up on your odometer to quickly. Most likely your are just suffering from a single broken plastic gear.
http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/CheapTricks/Odometer.shtml
I used to be able to get the gear new at a local speedometer shop (for my GTI), but last time (for my caddy) they wouldn't sell it to me "because of the legality issue of tampering with the odometer" Like it's better to have a odometer that doesn't work than keep it working when it has just quit. Whatever. Anyhow when I replaced the gear in my GTI it only lasted for a year or so before breaking again. However, I've had good luck with my caddy's. I noticed that the odometer was skipping every mile, I would hear a 'snap' from within the dash and then the gear would start working again. I was actually loosing a mile every 20 miles or so. (I think there is actually 21 teeth on the gear if I remember correctly. Anyhow, I took it out and wrapped the outside flanges of the plastic gear with some thin copper wire taken from the inside of some electrical wiring and put the gear back onto the shaft with craft glue. It has been trouble free ever since. I was actually amazed that the VDO odo was still working in my caddy when I bought it with 257K considering increased vibrations from the diesel and my GTI had only made it to 104K before breaking.
You can see the flange in the middle of the gear that I wrapped with copper wire here (same flange on back side of gear)
photo from Roger Brown's website.
http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/CheapTricks/Images/odometer_02t.jpg
At any rate it is easy enough for someone who knows how to turn a screwdriver to get the gauge cluster out and apart and there are good photos on Rogers site showing where the gear belongs if it has split in two and fallen off the shaft.

By the way I used to think that this was just a problem with the square A1 VDO tachs but apparently it plauges the A2 round VDO's as well. Fiance's old '90 Jetta had the gear break/slip. (I think it might be a metal gear in the A2's)
Good luck.

gocaddygo
10-12-2004, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the info, that sounds way more logical than just shipping it out to VDO if they still fix 'em. Besides it already doesn't turn, so I don't believe I would break the odometer much worse than it already is.

If you don't mind I'm gonna put you on my list of sources for answers to my questions.

mortskeg
10-12-2004, 12:21 PM
quote:Originally posted by gocaddygo

If you don't mind I'm gonna put you on my list of sources for answers to my questions.
Oh, you made me laugh there. I thought you might want to see my answer to "why is there no heat shield to keep my new weatherseal boot from melting"
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/glen_ekstrom/popcan.jpg

Or the question, "what do I do since I didn't have time to put the new bushings on my control arm today after I spent half the day taking them off?"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/glen_ekstrom/supertape.jpg

[:0]Just kidding, I wouldn't recommend doing this to your own truck. Glad to help I guess that's what the forum is here for. Anyhow, most of what I can tell you I learned from 1.the bentley 2.the web 3.trial+error. Maybe trial and error the most. Good luck with the VDO clock (odo), I'll bet you will have a chance to do it again if you/ a friend ever has another westmoreland bunny.

If someone was really the A1 genius, they would figure out where to get a replacement metal gear for these friggin things*

gocaddygo
11-12-2004, 06:40 AM
Nah no answers that sophisticated, just the one everyone wants the answer to.......

How to figure out your wife? But I guess we're in the wrong Forum for that.

Got a Bentley, Got Internet, and trial and error only comes with time and budget constraints. If'n you ain't got budget, you can make time to do the things you thought you'd never do, or didn't have the time to do.

BTW Duct Tape is one of the most useful subtances in the world.