PDA

View Full Version : Hi...new Caddy admirer!

andycowuk
11-09-2004, 05:40 AM
Hi guys,

I am new to Caddy loving.....just really had my eyes opened at E38 last weekend. I am thinking a Caddy will make an excellent run about and pimpster mobile! My current car is a corrado G60, it was on the Dubforce stand at Edition 38, some of you might have seen me....i certainly noticed some of the members.... I think Kevlar and some of the other guys were camped right beside me.

I just robbed this thread off dubforce.net, its got afew pics of my car, and a wee story about what I have done to it.

Firstly, when I bought it, it looked like this:

I bought it for £1800 in august 2003, 81k, no service history and the ABS illuminated. I then went on to change all discs, pads, callipers, copper hoses, flexi hoses and a new front abs sensor. I also sent the charger to G-Werks, and was fitting a 4-branch manifold when 3 of the studs holding the stock one on sheered. :(

So off with her head.... and it went to Race Power Motor sport to get the studs out, and to have the throttle body, inlet manifold and head ported and polished........this took about four weeks to get back....but to be honest, now its all back on, the results are obvious to me. I am toying with the idea of a few further mods for the engine, but I am sure it will turn out fairly unique what ever happens...... Just now itís still the standard chip and pulley though.

The other area of the car that got a major overhaul, was the suspension - new wishbones, bottom ball joints, tie rods and ends, Bonrath poly bushes and Leda coilovers with single adjustment for bump and rebound, with a 4:1 ratio. I have 300lb front springs and 250lb rear springs.

That was enough for one session, and after all that, insurance and tax was a real struggle! .... but the MOT was passed easily!!!

As a distraction from doing my dissertation in April, I turned to trawling ebay for wheels, I had a few ideas what I wanted, and finally settled on a set of 16x7.5 inch Borbet B's.

I put a set of 215/40/15 Yokohama A539s on them for an all in price of around £550, which I was more than happy with. A lot of people donít like the BMW centers, but I personally donít mind them, and think they look different, and equally as bad as a cheap nasty VW one; so until I find suitable Borbet badges, the BMW ones are going no where! A FK grille closely followed the wheels.

Once the exams were out the way, I decided to get my VDO dials into the car, this took a good few hours of filing, cutting and gluing, it really wasnít much fun. Installing the wiring for the air/fuel did however reveal that the harness for the lambda probe was rotten! Now that it has been renovated, I seem to have about 5 mpg extra round town.

The most recent modification was a Schrick baffled sump, from Bahn Brenner Motor sport, this was a total pig to put on, as it is considerably thicker than the stock item, making those two bolts by the flywheel a real swear-fest. The same session also included a new power steering pump.

I am not sure what the next move will be, its either going to be a big engine overhaul, with all engine related mods included, or a full respray, to get rid of a few bumps as scrapes that really annoy me.

I try to get in as much track time as I can, I have organised an evening track session at Knockhill, and have also been to a few other Knockhill sessions.

I was at the Scottish Club GTI track day at Kames in June, and managed to get the 3rd fastest spot with a time of 101.57 seconds. The 3rd place was mainly due to a relatively small turnout of cars, but thatís not the point!

I was also at the National Club GTI track day at Curborough sprint track, which was a hell of a distance away, but I had a good time none-the-less. My best time for one lap was 31.49 seconds.

grey-j
11-09-2004, 07:02 AM
Hi Andycowuk. Welcome to the forum. Caddys are great run abouts. Diesels particulary good as far as MPG goes. :D I've started using mine as the daily driver, not to far from you infact, well glasgow.

vwapachey
11-09-2004, 08:23 AM
Another welcome and another echo of how great the diesels are, even if you are into high speed driving.

Some guy called Hinckley had managed to put a Mk4 Golf 150BHP PD into a white Caddy and is currently teaching many petrol engine cars how to eat dust.

As you are already a VAG man, please don't just admire the Caddy.......become a proud and satisfied owner/driver and maybe you can dedicate some of your improvement stying to make a serios "pimped" Caddy.

All the very best

kevlar
11-09-2004, 07:09 PM
hello mate and welcome to caddy fancying!

diesels are good and all but try and get a sport, thats the way to go :)

kevlar
11-09-2004, 07:14 PM
oh yeah has your corrado started to go tornado pink yet?

andycowuk
12-09-2004, 12:58 AM
nope.....its flash red.
my camera just doesnt show up reds too good.

I am going to start looking in anger in the next few months.... but for now i want to learn!

grey-j
12-09-2004, 02:27 AM
I agree with Kevlar, even although I've got a TD, look for a sport.

Happy Hunting

Darth Garry
12-09-2004, 11:39 PM
Wow, that's quite a car. Now you need to get a truck and show it as much love!

P.S. Since your 'rado embodies speed and power, you should consider getting a diesel to embrace the other side of VWness.

Garry

Jimmy
13-09-2004, 04:31 AM
sweet 'rado mate - keep the bmw centres's, after all no one gives a toss about porker centres and beemers are not to be sniffed at - take the e30 m3 for example, a legend and no mistake!!:D

so you were camped next to kevlar etc, what motors were on your little plot[?]

i also went and chewed some cud with the dubforce boys on saturday as i sold some design 90's to matt (dubwhizz) a month or so ago. small world!:)

Woobn8r
13-09-2004, 08:07 PM
Andycowuk,

Welcome to THIS forum,

Soon you will acquire a great truck to twin your 'rado...keep the (VAG) faith....

andycowuk
14-09-2004, 05:00 AM
quote:Originally posted by jimmy
sweet 'rado mate - keep the bmw centres's, after all no one gives a toss about porker centres and beemers are not to be sniffed at - take the e30 m3 for example, a legend and no mistake!!

so you were camped next to kevlar etc, what motors were on your little plot

i also went and chewed some cud with the dubforce boys on saturday as i sold some design 90's to matt (dubwhizz) a month or so ago. small world!

Thats my thinking entirely! I like the porker wheels.... but just about every second car has em. Merc wheels seem to be starting on dubs... but i dont like them really.. esp on a corrado.

In the camp site was a red rallye, a aubergene ed 1 golf, a white mk1, a mk4 polo, a g40 polo, mini cooper s!! quite a mix! lol
Matt has his design 90's on the car, they have a real nice finish on them. [8D]

quote:Originally posted by Darth Garry
P.S. Since your 'rado embodies speed and power, you should consider getting a diesel to embrace the other side of VWness.

Well.. I had concidered that, but a relative of mine has a mk2 rocco, with a really good 16v engine in, which he wants to change back to a 8v again, so that would give me all the bits I need for the caddy proj.....

quote:Originally posted by grey-j
I agree with Kevlar, even although I've got a TD, look for a sport.

I am really not sure what to go for.... while kevlars looks hard as nuggets, i really like the look of yours too....nice and clean...even fresh. How often do sports come up? Have you restored yours or did you buy it in good cond? How long did you have to wait for that?

Thanks for the warm welcome! I dunno what all u guys have got in terms of engine conversions.....but if anyone has questions about g60 or 16v engines...I know the answer, and if i dont, i know guys who could write what they dont know on the back of a postage stamp!!

Cheers

Andrew

kevlar
14-09-2004, 02:29 PM
quote:Originally posted by andycowuk

[quote]Originally posted by jimmy
Thanks for the warm welcome! I dunno what all u guys have got in terms of engine conversions.....but if anyone has questions about g60 or 16v engines...I know the answer, and if i dont, i know guys who could write what they dont know on the back of a postage stamp!!

always good to have another technical guy on the forum ;)

so are you planning on getting a caddy aswell as your c? i sold my 1.8 16v c to get this. oh how i miss it.......:(

i'm gonna get a vr6 c when funds allow again :D

andycowuk
15-09-2004, 04:47 AM
i could sell the c to get the caddy.....but i spent too damn much on the it.

TBH I am not sure what my fianl plan is.... i think it is to have the c in the garage.... and the caddy on the road as a daily drive. Thing is I am in the final few for a job that gets a company car... so i cant see me needing 3 cars!!! will see what happens....my mate is also inspired by the caddy thing, as it frees him of the boggin tail gate on the mk1!! maybe I will settle for helping work on his. Who knows.

kevlar
15-09-2004, 04:44 PM
i say keep the corrado and get a caddy as a daily driver ;)

good luck with your decision. caddys are alot of fun :D

andycowuk
15-09-2004, 05:15 PM
yeah probably will....there is one just come ebay, in red...but i am a bit sceptical about reprays....been stung in the past by 'good' rush jobs. I know one thing...i am pretty much set on the wheel choice.... Ronal LS.
Its gonna take a bit of convincing to get me to hang the thing from the rear axle, rather than set it on the rear axle......seems a bit odd! but if thats the way to do it!!!

andycowuk
10-06-2006, 11:46 AM
forgot I posted this here.....

Charger blew on the C, so I have decided to split it for parts... Gives me a good bit of money to throw at the caddy!

I got a G plate diesel last night..... will get some pics in here later.

andycowuk
16-03-2008, 07:53 PM
I am getting into caddying again, so thought I would look up this site, as I am sure I'll be needing odd bits n pieces over the coming years!!!

I bought my caddy in may 06 with 6 months MOT and 3 months tax for the princely sum of £260. I def got my moneys worth out of it - I moved all the bits off my red corrado when I broke it up, including cutting the corrado in half through the sunroof and hoisting the two halves into the pick up and driving it to the tip - it was a little frightening! I also moved out of my flat using it, which saved me hiring a van!

It went straight into the garage once I had moved as the MOT had run out, and in Feb 07 I took out the diesel lump and started working on the 16v engine thats to go into it...

I bought a 6a bottom end, and ordered pistons and rods for it; I was going to get the engine brakes and suspension sorted out then use it for a few months before committing to much unrecoverable money getting it painted. However I bought another corrado, we went on a big holiday near Christmas, and now I'm saving for wedding, so any money that would have gone to the caddy went elsewhere.

I have been working on the caddy a bit recently; its the first time I have touched it in literally a year! Since I cant spend money on it, I decided just to have a bash at doing some bodywork myself.... whats the worst that can happen!!

So I stripped out the interior, ditched the windscreen and started work on tidying up the engine bay

There's a lot to do to tidy up the body work, and I am not sure how ambitious to be... but we'll see where a few afternoons with a drill, grinder and welder take me....