PDA

View Full Version : New Guy, Great Forum

mountnman1
17-08-2004, 06:19 AM
Great place you've got here, I'm new to the forum, and to watercooled VW's, so I thought I'd introduce myself, and pick a few brains with those that are better informed. As all are aware, fuel prices are outta sight... so I've thought of picking up a good quality econo truck, and park my Chevy big block... I've a chance to get a 1981 VW pickup, diesel, new engine 30,000 km ago, good shape, no visible rust, new paint/tires etc. the interior isn't beat, the box and tailgate, are straight and true... starts right up... The seller wants $3000 Canadian bucks for it... Does this seem a reasonable asking price? 50+ miles per gallon sounds good to me, compared to my 10 mpg in my Chevy... so I've thought about going Caddy.... any ideas, or recommendations, that you can give an oldd timer with zero Rabbit/Caddy experience?

camp6ell
17-08-2004, 08:48 PM
Doesn't sound like a bad deal. If your 10mpg Chevy is your daily driver now, and you replace with the 50mpg Caddy, it'll soon pay for itself.

Woobn8r
17-08-2004, 09:19 PM
Welcome mountnman1...

More Caddies, more new forum members, more Canadians...love it all...

3Gs is good if the truck is as you call it...you BC guys get all the "no rust beauties"...good luck

Darth Garry
18-08-2004, 03:43 AM
Diesel rules dude! You won't regret it.

Garry

Al
18-08-2004, 04:04 AM
mmm. BIG block Chevy Pickup sounds nice[}:)][:p]

BC is in my top ten of places to live in the world[^] I would kill to ride my dirtbike there[8D]

Welcome

Al

mortskeg
18-08-2004, 09:33 AM
The only thing that you might want to do (extra caution) besides looking at the normal pre buy stuff is have a local shop that has the equip do a compression test. Of course having a newly rebuilt engine it should be really good, but it is always nice to know for sure. The other common diesel rabbit stuff to go bad/ to look for-
glow plugs
CV boots/ joints (not as much as the boots)
strut bearings
wheel bearings (make noise when bad)
back up light switch on tranny (no back up lights)
shift linkage bushings (sloppy/hard shifting)
odometer
thermostat -mine has gotten stuck open, not a big deal
passenger side engine mount (rubber) I guess this is driver side UK:)
windshield wash pump/relay
I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff but really if you have oil and a good timing belt then the things are pretty bullet proof. All parts are cheap too. Hope this helps.

Oh and Bc is beatiful but you have to look out when you are up there so you don't get eaten by the ogo pogo monster.[}:)]

Woobn8r
18-08-2004, 10:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by mortskeg
[Oh and Bc is beatiful but you have to look out when you are up there so you don't get eaten by the ogo pogo monster.[}:)]

I think I dated her when I lived in Burnaby...:D:D:D

mortskeg
19-08-2004, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Woobn8r

quote:I think I dated her when I lived in Burnaby...:D:D:D
Ouch! That's awesome.